Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo"d now pushing oil out the valve covers help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

In no way whatsoever would that allow sufficient breathing !
Old 04-24-2018, 10:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I'm hoping the one inch diameter unrestricted breathers on each valve cover I'm putting on tomorrow solve everything
Old 04-24-2018, 10:58 AM
07V
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's how I run mine right now. I have oil breathers in place of the fill cap, and for the passenger side I put a driver side cover and did the same breather. I also have both the ports on the valve covers referenced to the intake with check valves so they see vacuum but not boost. I do still have a slight puff of oily mist behind me when I'm in it at 16# for a long time, not sure there's anything left that I can do on that though. Several people have told me it's just because it's an old worn out motor and I'd have to completely tear it down and rebuild/rering it to make that go away.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:06 AM
9 Second Club

^^^ did you have a similar problem with pushing oil before the breathers like I have? Or did it have breathers from the beginning? I'm also doing the 2 oil fill valve cover trick, seemed the easiest way
Old 04-24-2018, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

even if a motor had no rings in it, it shouldn't smoke out the exhaust. unless you're putting oil in the cylinder or you're building enough crankcase pressure to back up oil in the turbo and push it out the turbine side. i'd reconsider your pcv set up
Old 04-24-2018, 12:51 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm not in favor of running filters on all of the PCV ports.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Lets face it, anything will be an improvement over the no breather at all setup he appears to have at present.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by truckdoug
even if a motor had no rings in it, it shouldn't smoke out the exhaust. unless you're putting oil in the cylinder or you're building enough crankcase pressure to back up oil in the turbo and push it out the turbine side. i'd reconsider your pcv set up
it's not smoking out the exhaust
Old 04-24-2018, 01:54 PM
07V
Teching In

I had bad consumption and lots of smoke under boost, so I ran the filler filters and it cured about 90% of it. Like I said, there’s still some smoke under high sustained boost but it’s still a 90% improvement. Thing is though, I can smell it in the cabin and the breathers are oily so I really need a catch can. The only reason I did the filler breathers is because I had one already laying around and one of the shops I work for had another. It was almost free for me. If you’re gonna spend $100 on filler breathers and hoses and check valves you should just go the last yard and get a proper MM can or something.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 80/TA/LT1

it's not smoking out the exhaust
sorry i should have quoted, i was replying to 07V
Old 04-24-2018, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

80/TA/LT1.....

I'm running passenger side valve covers on both sides with AN line going to a catch can and breather. Works great.

You can see my breather setup from 5:00 to 5:30 in this rambletron video I made.

Question for you guys that have busted ringlands.... How did you do it and more importantly what did you learn as far as avoiding it??? Too much timing advance leading to detonation is the principle cause right?
Old 04-24-2018, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

i think on the edge timing and a tank of shitty gas did me in. also going hard off the stock rev limiter which is fuel cut only is bad news. now I just yank timing above my target limit so the power just gently leans over and i can back out of it.

added water/meth to the next combo and all was well 19 psi on pump gas with ~12* timing.

if you spray water/meth though you def need to add a vacuum type PCV and catch can. you get a nice frothy milkshake around your breather if you don't
Old 04-24-2018, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I heard you say you are running 4:56 gears. Do you plan on continuing to use those?
Old 04-24-2018, 05:10 PM
07V
Teching In

Truckdoug, I think my problem is it’s a 260k mike motor and the rings are gone, which I agree wouldn’t directly cause oil out the exhaust, I think what’s happening is I have so much blow by that I’m pressurizing the valve covers and pushing past my valve seals. It’s either that, or my turbo is just junk. The second option is TOTALLY a possibility though because it’s a cxracing turbo. I’ve been heavily considering pulling the trigger on a legit borg turbo and seeing if I keep my issues. If I do, then it’s motor side... that’s an expensive part to shotgun though, and I “only” consume about 2 qts an oil change, so I’m not really THAT worried about it, it just sucks having oily residue on my tailgate is all.

Do do you think a catch can could solve it?
Old 04-24-2018, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just realized that ddnspider mentioned not relying on the fuel cut rev limiter in a thread I posted asking for pointers... I incorporated all of the suggestions but completely forgot about that one because I guess I didn't think about it enough to wrap my knuckle-head around it.

So Doug, you have your fuel RPM cutoff maxxed out, effectively disabling it and are relying on your timing table as your safety net? Would you be so kind as to post a snapshot of your timing table showing where, how you've done this?

Game ova: Who said they're running 4:56 lol?
Old 04-24-2018, 05:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

1 of the main issues with the fuel cut is that people, including GM, set the re-enable rpm too close to the fuel cut....hence banging off the limiter as there is a back and forth cut, no cut, cut, no cut. If you do set the rev limiter to a number, set the re-enable WELL below. Yes you'll sacrifice the race, but there won't be any banging on the limiter. We hit the limiter on a turbo 5.3 and it felt like the car shut off until we realized it was still running at speed lol. Fuel cut kicked in and it didn't turn the injectors back on until like 5-700 rpms lower lol. As truck Doug said, yank timing too. Both of those combined should keep the motor together if you peg the limiter under boost.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 07V
Truckdoug, I think my problem is it’s a 260k mike motor and the rings are gone, which I agree wouldn’t directly cause oil out the exhaust, I think what’s happening is I have so much blow by that I’m pressurizing the valve covers and pushing past my valve seals. It’s either that, or my turbo is just junk. The second option is TOTALLY a possibility though because it’s a cxracing turbo. I’ve been heavily considering pulling the trigger on a legit borg turbo and seeing if I keep my issues. If I do, then it’s motor side... that’s an expensive part to shotgun though, and I “only” consume about 2 qts an oil change, so I’m not really THAT worried about it, it just sucks having oily residue on my tailgate is all.

Do do you think a catch can could solve it?
I couldn't say for sure but unless it's puffing smoke at idle out the oil filler and it's got enough compression to run, a proper PCV set up will help.

I drill the driver side valve cover restrictor out and tap it for 1/2 npt. I run 1/2 hose to a baffled breather can. The pass side I use a very common catch can set up that only works at vacuum. A check valve prevents boost from entering it. At idle and cruise I pull air in thru driver side breather can, thru the crankcase to grab any moisture and unburnt hydrocarbons into the catch can. At boost any crankcase pressure vents out the driver side vave cover into the aforementioned breather can. it works *******.

Q: did you pull it apart and de-sludge the pistons or anything before boosting it? many motors i have seen the 2nd ring and the oil rings 100% solid with coked, burnt oil.

I generally dont mess with < 200k motors as good running low mile motors never make it to the u-pull-it haha
Old 04-24-2018, 08:35 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 07v
i had bad consumption and lots of smoke under boost, so i ran the filler filters and it cured about 90% of it. Like i said, there’s still some smoke under high sustained boost but it’s still a 90% improvement. Thing is though, i can smell it in the cabin and the breathers are oily so i really need a catch can. The only reason i did the filler breathers is because i had one already laying around and one of the shops i work for had another. It was almost free for me. If you’re gonna spend $100 on filler breathers and hoses and check valves you should just go the last yard and get a proper mm can or something.
thx for the reply, maybe theres hope for me yet. Yea i had the breathers already like you so im trying that tomorrow, if it works then i'll spend the coin for a mm catch can
Old 04-24-2018, 08:36 PM
9 Second Club

Elquefor, thx for the vid man, appreciate it
Old 04-24-2018, 08:37 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by truckdoug
i think on the edge timing and a tank of shitty gas did me in. Also going hard off the stock rev limiter which is fuel cut only is bad news. Now i just yank timing above my target limit so the power just gently leans over and i can back out of it.

Added water/meth to the next combo and all was well 19 psi on pump gas with ~12* timing.

If you spray water/meth though you def need to add a vacuum type pcv and catch can. You get a nice frothy milkshake around your breather if you don't
i'm running water / meth, comes on at 8 lbs... Didn't know if i mentioned that