LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/)
-   -   Turbo"d now pushing oil out the valve covers help please (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1896863-turbo-d-now-pushing-oil-out-valve-covers-help-please.html)

80/TA/LT1 04-22-2018 06:50 PM

Turbo"d now pushing oil out the valve covers help please

well, my setup is the sloppy mechanics don't bs me build. 5.3 sloppy stage two cam 7875 80 lb injectors. Took it to the dyno and all was well until 15 lbs of boost, then oil and smoke spewed everywhere. I had my valve covers just open venting to the atmosphere and the tuner told me that wasn't enough. I put a breather on the passenger side oil fill now and still when coming up on boost it pukes oil onto the manifold and smokes like crazy. I was thinking about putting another passenger side valve cover on the drivers side and venting that oil fill too. I'm hoping that two one inch non baffled holes will be enough. I'm nervous because I've seen many guys with more boost than me having no issues with just the pcv stuff removed and open. I gapped my top rings at 26 and my bottom at 28. What are your guys thoughts and experiences with this. From what I've read my plan should work, but the internet has too much info for its own good sometimes and a lot of posts on this are old. Thanks in advance guys, the car runs great besides pissing oil 😡

MY_2K_Z 04-22-2018 06:57 PM

Probably popped a ringland.

80/TA/LT1 04-22-2018 07:18 PM

Even with the rings gapped and methanol injection coming on at 8 lbs? God I hope I didn't, don't wanna pull the motor again....if I remember right u have a very similar build as mine, did u do anything different? Your cars making some good power

etijsma 04-22-2018 07:36 PM

Sounds like you killed ring lands at the least.

Do leak down and/or compression test.

MY_2K_Z 04-22-2018 07:48 PM

Mines a 6.0 with 210lb injectors on e85 so I don't have to be as careful with the tuneup to keep the pistons in it.

47ford 04-22-2018 09:15 PM

Not sure what kind of intake you have or how you have hoses routed but make sure you don’t have any hoses running from the valve covers to the intake that don’t have a check valve in them...... I’m blow through but when I jumped up the boost I started pushing oil out of the breather on the oil fill cap..... I had a hose routed from under carb to driver side valve cover with no check valve in it.... which meant it was sucking crank case pressure under vacuum but when it turned to boost it was pressurizing the crank case..... so I have a vent on the oil fill cap and a hose going from driver side valve cover to carb base with a check valve that can only suck crank case pressure out..... just a thought

80/TA/LT1 04-22-2018 09:51 PM

Gotta wait til Wednesday to do a compression test

80/TA/LT1 04-22-2018 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by 47ford (Post 19882325)
Not sure what kind of intake you have or how you have hoses routed but make sure you don’t have any hoses running from the valve covers to the intake that don’t have a check valve in them...... I’m blow through but when I jumped up the boost I started pushing oil out of the breather on the oil fill cap..... I had a hose routed from under carb to driver side valve cover with no check valve in it.... which meant it was sucking crank case pressure under vacuum but when it turned to boost it was pressurizing the crank case..... so I have a vent on the oil fill cap and a hose going from driver side valve cover to carb base with a check valve that can only suck crank case pressure out..... just a thought

ls1 intake, all ports capped, valve covers open. I know what ur saying, hoping it's an easy fix, thx for the reply

47ford 04-22-2018 10:10 PM

My thoughts are you have to remove crank case pressure..... I’m not sure how guys are venting both sides and not pushing oil..... a friend did that same thing with a boosted single cab gmc.... he vented both valve covers and had oil coming out of both breathers.... added a line with a pcv valve from intake to valve cover and fixed it..... hope it’s an easy fix

80/TA/LT1 04-22-2018 10:14 PM

I hope it's easy too! I'm going out there now to pull the plugs, maybe that will tell me something , if I see anything weird I'll post pics. Thx

80/TA/LT1 04-22-2018 10:19 PM

The fact that it runs great is keeping my hopes up....

80/TA/LT1 04-22-2018 10:45 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...ae9fa8504a.jpg
Here's the plugs... hmmm, I know my 2step wasn't working right because the light was stuck on, but the car ran fine, now I'm more confused

MY_2K_Z 04-22-2018 11:00 PM

Those plugs are kinda all over the place. I'd say you should get your injectors flowed as it looks like your not getting very even fueling across all cylinders.

80/TA/LT1 04-22-2018 11:34 PM

Flowed perfect, within 1 gram of each other, per Eric Derr

80/TA/LT1 04-22-2018 11:36 PM

80/TA/LT1 04-22-2018 11:49 PM

Wonder if the 2step was holding back spark....

ddnspider 04-23-2018 07:09 AM

All of your rear plugs are rich fouled to crap. Something going on causing your pass side to be rich compared to driver. For reference, I'm at 8 psi on 93 only and vent both valve covers no catch can no pvc and no puking oil.

Game ova 04-23-2018 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by 80/TA/LT1 (Post 19882394)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...ae9fa8504a.jpg
Here's the plugs... hmmm, I know my 2step wasn't working right because the light was stuck on, but the car ran fine, now I'm more confused

5,7 and 8 are oil fouled.... not gas fouled. Looks to me like you have 3 bad holes (oil control ring). Pretty sure that motor is hurt, especially given that's it's puking oil....in combination with looking at those plugs.

ddnspider 04-23-2018 07:12 PM

Those do not look oil fouled to me. Oil fouled plugs are typically glazed and that is straight black soot.

Game ova 04-23-2018 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by ddnspider (Post 19882983)
Those do not look oil fouled to me. Oil fouled plugs are typically glazed and that is straight black soot.

When zoomed in, it appears to have an oil glaze on them 5,7,8. But it's the combination of issues as a whole that has me convinced.