Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo car faster, hot off the street at the track.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Turbo car faster, hot off the street at the track.

Didn't go to the track today, but I've noticed that my car consistently traps higher without a cooldown after I get to the track. I used to think it was just a fluke, but now I'm sure that the car is faster when hot. Yes, I understand that the oil gets a bit thicker and increases drag, but enough to lose 1-2 mph? Anyone else experience this? This is the first car out of many that slows down after cooling off.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Didn't go to the track today, but I've noticed that my car consistently traps higher without a cooldown after I get to the track. I used to think it was just a fluke, but now I'm sure that the car is faster when hot. Yes, I understand that the oil gets a bit thicker and increases drag, but enough to lose 1-2 mph? Anyone else experience this? This is the first car out of many that slows down after cooling off.
When I had a rear mount turbo on the GTO, it would pick up 4 or 5 mph in the quarter just by hot lapping it. The piping to the turbo did not suck as much energy out of the exhaust when already hot.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gametech
When I had a rear mount turbo on the GTO, it would pick up 4 or 5 mph in the quarter just by hot lapping it. The piping to the turbo did not suck as much energy out of the exhaust when already hot.
Interesting. I think next time I go to beech bend (1/4 track), I'm going to get there after the lanes are already open, tech... and immediately make a pass, then let it cool for a couple hours and post up the slips side by side as a comparison. This car goes against everything I thought about a cool (temp wise) car always being faster. Up until this car, that's the way it was. Did you have any issues getting the turbo lit when it was cool?
Old 04-28-2018, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Game ova
Interesting. I think next time I go to beech bend (1/4 track), I'm going to get there after the lanes are already open, tech... and immediately make a pass, then let it cool for a couple hours and post up the slips side by side as a comparison. This car goes against everything I thought about a cool (temp wise) car always being faster. Up until this car, that's the way it was. Did you have any issues getting the turbo lit when it was cool?
The rear mount was always a festival of lag. That setup was really only good for highway runs.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm on my way home.from the track right now and my first pass of the night was 3mph faster than all mly other passes not sure y. I had more wheelspin off the line also but the car ran better the first pass thru the 3rd the last 5 were all a little worse
Old 04-28-2018, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what y'all get for going to the track. Keep them hwy pulls going LOL!!! That's all i do, no track for me
Old 04-29-2018, 12:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by red fury
That's what y'all get for going to the track. Keep them hwy pulls going LOL!!! That's all i do, no track for me
You are missing out if you never go to the track. I have to admit the old rear mount worked pretty well at Road Atlanta.
Only time I have ever been 150mph+ without worrying about cops. On the downside, I found out my fuel pump could not maintain pressure under extended boost periods. I had no idea how much fuel road racing uses.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost
I'm on my way home.from the track right now and my first pass of the night was 3mph faster than all mly other passes not sure y. I had more wheelspin off the line also but the car ran better the first pass thru the 3rd the last 5 were all a little worse
Was the first pass with it hot... or cool?

Search this Thread