Notices
Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Semi Sloppy Reg Cab 1500 Stepside Turbo Build

Old 06-13-2019, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm!

Originally Posted by LQ4-E39 View Post
You know Doug i was thinking about that this morning. I may just yank it again and drop it off at a local performance builder and pay to make the headache go away, especially since literally everything else on the truck is done.The other option is to pick up another craiglist 80E but I have no guarantee those are good either. Option 3 is a junkyard unit which is more reputable but $$$

It's just killing me not knowing if it's something super simple that I can fix myself, and save myself the labor of pulling this thing out yet again.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 window View Post
Hmmm!
Come on man, you know they're never "done"
Old 06-26-2019, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Ok guys, I am pretty close to having this thing boost for the first time.

-Charge piping is all welded up, just need to roll one bead on the discharge pipe and bolt it up.
-Need to install a check valve on the PCV line going from Driver's VC to intake manifold. I'm using a McMaster Carr brass check valve after reading bad things about the cheap plastic Amazon ones blowing apart under boost. Also need to vent the pass VC and cap the TB nipple
-Need to run a hose to the side wastegate port
-Need to run a hose to boost gauge in cab

I have a question on tuning - I have been working on the VE table using the Paste Special multiply by half function, so far it's coming along nicely. When I go WOT with boost disabled (no charge piping), it starts out around 11.4-12 and then at 4000rpm and above it suddenly starts to go lean (all the way up to 14.7). Not a huge deal while NA but obviously bad when I get the boost going.
I am thinking I need to verify fuel pressure, and make sure the tune PE table is commanding 12.5 or whatever across the board and above 4000rpm. Am I on the right track?

I'll post logs and tune later today

Last edited by LQ4-E39; 06-26-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Did you change RPM/Delay for PE mode? What do you have PE set to for EQ ratio?
Old 06-26-2019, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

I would check fuel pressure for sure. It's pretty important. But if it's not going into pe the pcm can trim the fuel back to 14.7, so make sure it is going in pe. Just make sure the commanded afr goes to what you target.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mshadow View Post
Did you change RPM/Delay for PE mode? What do you have PE set to for EQ ratio?
I'll check tonight, pretty sure I have the EQ ratio set to 1.2x or so. What's funny is that PE is definitely enabled and working below 4000, it just gets lean up top.

Originally Posted by Lsxford View Post
I would check fuel pressure for sure. It's pretty important. But if it's not going into pe the pcm can trim the fuel back to 14.7, so make sure it is going in pe. Just make sure the commanded afr goes to what you target.
I think it's tune related because it didn't do this before I starting playing with PE and VE, but I will check fuel pressure at idle. Not sure how to check it at WOT, my tester wouldn't reach into the cab unless I extend the hose...
Old 06-26-2019, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

I'm sure you're familiar w/ the Sloppy Tune Cabinet (http://sloppymechanics.com/tunecabinet/) I used the Frank Falcone 550whp 14psi and the p59 flex 3 bar Colorado 500whp as base files. I opened my stock file, save as, rename, then did a file compare with those two tunes and copied most of those values over. Then you can fine tune your ve the way you described above.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 408GT View Post
I'm sure you're familiar w/ the Sloppy Tune Cabinet (http://sloppymechanics.com/tunecabinet/) I used the Frank Falcone 550whp 14psi and the p59 flex 3 bar Colorado 500whp as base files. I opened my stock file, save as, rename, then did a file compare with those two tunes and copied most of those values over. Then you can fine tune your ve the way you described above.
I did exactly that with one of his tunes from the Google Docs tune cabinet, don't remember which one. VE is pretty close actually. It's rich (12.3 solid) when you let off the gas at almost any speed and has a lean spot on tip-in that causes a small stumble. Otherwise pretty solid.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

took it out tonight and made some changes to the PE EQ above 4000, definitely made a difference but it's still erratic. I'm wondering if the fuel filter is original and clogged...
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
Stepslide Turbo Rev 6 VE4.hpt (271.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: hpl
wot hit.hpl (137.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: hpl
wot hit 2.hpl (37.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-27-2019, 07:05 AM
TECH Resident

you learn something new every day. I was under the impression that when PE mode kicked in, the PCM stopped referencing the VE table and strictly targeted the AFR called for via the PE EQ ratio table. Not the case - the PE table is a multiplier of the stoich ratio, yes, but it also has to reference something for absolute fueling values (like the VE table!). So, I'll take this thing back out tonight and play around with the cells in the VE table that are hit during WOT. I want to make sure the NA tune is squared away before putting the charge pipes on it.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, the good news is that adding fuel in the VE tables in the .5 g/cyl and 85kpa vacuum range netted me a nice steady 12.5 AFR at NA WOT.

The bad news is that when I parked the truck and came out an hour later to run to the store, it fired up and ran for 2 seconds before dying quickly. Now it won't start at all, just cranks all day. I checked fuel pressure and have zero psi at the rail. Going to pull the feed off tonight and see if any fuel at all is getting to the rail. I find it hard to believe that my 6 month old Walbro 450 is having problems, especially since I can hear it do the 2 second prime key on, and I hear it when I command it on with VCM. Maybe a feed hose inside the tank split. I used the one they shipped with the 450.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

Got a couple buddies to help push the truck inside the garage last night. With the feed line pulled off the rail, I'm getting a semi weak stream of gas out the line with the pump priming. Same story when I removed the filter, it wasn't clogged and had a weak stream. But at least the pump is still running which rules out any major electrical problem like a relay or fuse. I'm going to chop a hole in the bed tonight and pull the pump to see if my suspicion of a split fuel hose inside the tank is correect.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

What fuel hose did you use in the tank? If it's the hose that came w/ the pump I've read it sucks and to buy the $20 submersible hose. Might be where your pressure is going.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

What fuel hose did you use in the tank? If it's the hose that came w/ the pump I've read it sucks and to buy the $20 submersible hose. Might be where your pressure is going.
I used whatever came with the pump, advertised as submersible. I read it sucks too. New 12" length of this stuff is on the way.

Amazon Amazon

I haven't even opened up the pump yet but I have a good hunch that it's the problem.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Turns out the hose they ship with that 450 is junk, it's fuel injection hose but NOT rated for submersible.

Step 1: cut shitty hole in shitty truck

Step 2: remove fuel pump you installed 6 months ago

Step 3: admire failure of incorrectly spec'd hose

Step 4: ride newly acquired road bike to store for new fuel filter, clamps, hose, etc

She runs again! On wastegate spring only, it makes 3psi wide open with 10.7ish AFR and 18 degrees timing. I'm using the timing table pulled from Matt's tunes. Gonna swap out some springs tomorrow and see if it makes any more. Any recommendations for an inexpensive manual boost controller?
Old 07-07-2019, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Removed the WG and installed the 2 large springs today. Top tip: if you have any sort of stiff spring in your WG you're going to have a hell of a time compressing the fire ring while you try to get the clamps on. I hooked up my WG spring tester/regulator and pressurized it until the valve was half open, which made it very easy to install.

On the 2 springs I'm making about 8psi which makes for a hell of a ride compared to the 2.5psi I was making last week. I have a high resolution regulator on the way and plan on cranking it to 10-12psi to see how it does. It's a tire melter right now!
Old 07-08-2019, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Glad you found the problem, and it confirms what we both read. Why would they send a piece a fuel hose for an in-tank pump that's not submersible?

Mine's making 9# on wg spring and is a blast to drive. I recently bought a 4L80e for it that I'm going through right now w/ a rebuild kit and an HD2 kit. Once I get it buttoned up I'll throw it in the truck w/ the single disc PTC out of my LTD. I plan on turning it up to 15#, hopefully everything else will hold up LOL.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Glad you found the problem, and it confirms what we both read. Why would they send a piece a fuel hose for an in-tank pump that's not submersible?

Mine's making 9# on wg spring and is a blast to drive. I recently bought a 4L80e for it that I'm going through right now w/ a rebuild kit and an HD2 kit. Once I get it buttoned up I'll throw it in the truck w/ the single disc PTC out of my LTD. I plan on turning it up to 15#, hopefully everything else will hold up LOL.
No clue why they sent that hose. Probably an oversight on the vendor's part. "It's rated for fuel injection, it'll be fine we guess".

I may have asked already, do you have a build thread? Maybe over on Performance Trucks?

Also MAKE SURE YOU DON'T PINCH OR MISALIGN THE VALVE BODY GASKETS WHEN DOING THE HD2 OR IT WON'T MOVE IN GEAR. just saying, lol
Old 07-08-2019, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LQ4-E39 View Post
No clue why they sent that hose. Probably an oversight on the vendor's part. "It's rated for fuel injection, it'll be fine we guess".

I may have asked already, do you have a build thread? Maybe over on Performance Trucks?

Also MAKE SURE YOU DON'T PINCH OR MISALIGN THE VALVE BODY GASKETS WHEN DOING THE HD2 OR IT WON'T MOVE IN GEAR. just saying, lol
No, I don't have a build thread. I put it all together pretty quickly, I think I did see you on FB though?

Thanks for the tip! I was going to just do the HD2 kit, but after reading through this thread, I decided to do a complete tear down to check everything out. The clutches and all looked fine (normal wear) but one of the bushing had spun on one of the shafts. I should have it back together this week, but I'm not sure when I'll have time to put it in the truck.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:11 AM
TECH Resident

Got the rig out last night for some more VE tuning and just general test hits. It's making a steady 158-163kpa (8.5ish psi) and feels nice and strong. Couple areas of improvement:

-it's kind of a dog out of the hole until it hits boost which seems to be a function of ignition timing. I'm wondering if I can go back to the stock tables and grab all the timing in the vacuum areas and paste them into my "turbo" tune. Just need to figure out the correlation between g/cyl and kPa and where the crossover occurs.

-The brakes are fine for coming down from speed but they don't do a great job of holding the truck while I brake torque it to bring the converter up on the stall. Pedal basically falls to the floor and the truck pushes through the brakes, I'm wondering if it's a bad booster or MC. I may just say screw it and wire in the sloppy trans brake 3rd gear trick instead of messing with brakes on this old rusty POS

Last edited by LQ4-E39; 07-09-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Semi Sloppy Reg Cab 1500 Stepside Turbo Build

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: