Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Melted a piston - unsure why.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by 007FJ

Be careful spider laying down some solid deductive reasoning on the internet. I can’t see any flaw in that thinking or the inverse. Thanks.

Aint no logic allowed in here!!

Originally Posted by 99camaroturbo
I’m very much on board with his method of thinking, which is exactly what I said I thought caused my problem (lean and high iat’s). Can anyone give me s Definitive answer on the crank relearn, if that corrects for the advance being off or not. That very well could also be the culprit here if I was told wrong Information
Based on this link
http://www.msextra.com/doc/triggers/crankrelearn.htm
It sounds like the case procedure just calibeates the computer to the sensor and will not compensate if your reluctor is off or cam timing is off. I've never gotten the CASE relearn to hit the 4k rev limiter on setups I've tried with EFI live.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Aint no logic allowed in here!!

Based on this link
http://www.msextra.com/doc/triggers/crankrelearn.htm
It sounds like the case procedure just calibeates the computer to the sensor and will not compensate if your reluctor is off or cam timing is off. I've never gotten the CASE relearn to hit the 4k rev limiter on setups I've tried with EFI live.
do based on that, it is very much nessissary to verify timing?
Old 07-02-2018, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

do based on that, it is very much nessissary to verify timing?
I know some of the OGs on here are big on verifying cam timing. Most people arent going to tear their stuff apart if timing is off unless its making the car run like crap. My stance us if you start timing really conservative and read the plugs and work your way up it doesn't really matter if your timing is off or not because the motor will be getting the right amount of timing for that setup. In other words if your timing is off by +2 degrees and you put 13 degrees of advance in the tune or your timing is off -2 degrees and you put 17 degrees in the tune as long as you're reading the plugs and they look good then the tune is right for the combo. All depends on how much you want to maximize the combo and wring out every ounce of performance. I don't race for a living or own a shop.....I just tune street cars and only pump gas no meth.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

I’m very much on board with his method of thinking, which is exactly what I said I thought caused my problem (lean and high iat’s). Can anyone give me s Definitive answer on the crank relearn, if that corrects for the advance being off or not. That very well could also be the culprit here if I was told wrong Information
My comment was in no way aimed at anyone in this thread. I’ve been all over it for my education as I’m very knowledgeable and have been reading plugs since the 80s. I’m learning still as mentioned in the rich is a bitch comment I made. I know enough about tuning with hp tuners to be real dangerous to myself. At least I am aware and not afraid to be skeered! 👀
Old 07-02-2018, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Its really easy to verify spark advance. I use a peice of tig rod bent up to make a pointer for the balancer. take the rockers off number one cylinder and use a piston stop threaded into the sparkplug hole. Roll the motor over fwd and mark the balancer, roll it back the other way and mark. Halfway between is piston TDC mark there and erase the others. Then you'll want to degree it. Take the diameter D x 3.14 thats the circumference C. Then divide C by 360 degrees and that'll give you an inch increment per degree. Multiply that by what advance number ( i use 20*) you want and measure CW from the TDC mark and make a nice visible mark, with like silver sharpie or a white paint pen.

Put it all back together, and fire it up with an old school timing light on it. Go into the scanner and lock the timing on 20* and all should jive. This is how we found my friends' MS retarded 6*

I'd really only consider checking this on an aftermarket pcm or where an aftermarket crank or reluctor wheel is used. I check my own stock crank stock pcm stuff because, well I've blown up enough **** this last couple years. I'm jinxed.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
Its really easy to verify spark advance. I use a peice of tig rod bent up to make a pointer for the balancer. take the rockers off number one cylinder and use a piston stop threaded into the sparkplug hole. Roll the motor over fwd and mark the balancer, roll it back the other way and mark. Halfway between is piston TDC mark there and erase the others. Then you'll want to degree it. Take the diameter D x 3.14 thats the circumference C. Then divide C by 360 degrees and that'll give you an inch increment per degree. Multiply that by what advance number ( i use 20*) you want and measure CW from the TDC mark and make a nice visible mark, with like silver sharpie or a white paint pen.

Put it all back together, and fire it up with an old school timing light on it. Go into the scanner and lock the timing on 20* and all should jive. This is how we found my friends' MS retarded 6*

I'd really only consider checking this on an aftermarket pcm or where an aftermarket crank or reluctor wheel is used. I check my own stock crank stock pcm stuff because, well I've blown up enough **** this last couple years. I'm jinxed.
I have been reading about later model cams being several degrees off timed. You can never go wrong physically verifying what your computer inputs are telling it. I love the **** out of keyboard tuning, but the mechanicals have to be right first.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default High EGT = TOO MUCH FUEL/LOW SPARK INSTANT

Hi Loud Mouse, as you see most here are NOT good tuners.
My knowledge is based on my 1000+ turbo tunes, thirty years of tuning turbosupercharged engines, as the OEM engine supplier for Jerry Wiegert (Vector Cars), Indy Car racing (Menard V-6 & Cosworth), Rally Racing (RS-200 & Subaru EJ-20), Marine BBC Twin Turbo engines (PFM), Turbo LS engines in Sand Cars/Street Cars, etc.

MY INVENTION of the 60-2 (GM 58X) Crankshaft Target Wheel in 1986 has allowed the ECU I MANUFACTURE to operate an engine with a Spark Accuracy of 1/4 Degree.

THUS I know how to tune at a Spark Instant of 60 DEGREES ATDC at the Start Line WITHOUT engine damage.

GM also uses the SAME METHOD to protect Truck 4WD drive trains using a LOW Spark Advance to LIMIT Torque.

THE DIFFERENCE is the GM Truck AFR is close to 14.7 NOT 11.2.

Good Tech, Loud Mouse, as you are one of the few here who knows this fact !

Lance
Old 07-03-2018, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pantera_efi
Hi Loud Mouse, yes YOU are correct AND a measurement of EGT is easy.

NO AFTERCOOLER ???

This too ADDS EGT increases.

SURE detonation can be a result of a bad tune AND the added information provided by the OP points to that broken piston, NOT a MELTED piston. ( OP's Question)

BUT/INSTALL an EGT Gauge.

A HIGH EGT is a result of a too low Spark Instant.

WHAT is your EMAP at 11 .lbs ?

WHERE is your EGO/UEGO sensor located ?

MY tune target is from .866 -.902 Lambda AND finding the lowest EGT, found with CORRECT Spark Advance.

Lance
Are you suggesting we tune our 9.5-10.5 engines to a target of .866-.902 lambda?? What boost, fuel etc?
Old 07-03-2018, 04:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Lance,

What is CORRECT timing and how are you finding it? EGT only??

I also question the definition of correct AFR. I'm a total turbo newb but have plenty of Nitrous experience. I see a crap ton of turbo tunes in the 11.5AFR range and they seem to survive and make good power. I do think it's pig rich from previous experience but wonder if turbos differ in AFR needs from nitrous and why?
Old 07-03-2018, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by pantera_efi
Hi Loud Mouse, as you see most here are NOT good tuners.
My knowledge is based on my 1000+ turbo tunes, thirty years of tuning turbosupercharged engines, as the OEM engine supplier for Jerry Wiegert (Vector Cars), Indy Car racing (Menard V-6 & Cosworth), Rally Racing (RS-200 & Subaru EJ-20), Marine BBC Twin Turbo engines (PFM), Turbo LS engines in Sand Cars/Street Cars, etc.

MY INVENTION of the 60-2 (GM 58X) Crankshaft Target Wheel in 1986 has allowed the ECU I MANUFACTURE to operate an engine with a Spark Accuracy of 1/4 Degree.

THUS I know how to tune at a Spark Instant of 60 DEGREES ATDC at the Start Line WITHOUT engine damage.

GM also uses the SAME METHOD to protect Truck 4WD drive trains using a LOW Spark Advance to LIMIT Torque.

THE DIFFERENCE is the GM Truck AFR is close to 14.7 NOT 11.2.

Good Tech, Loud Mouse, as you are one of the few here who knows this fact !

Lance
The arrogance of this post is impressive. You continue doing what you do. I'll continue doing what I do, and I haven't blown a single engine yet.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

The arrogance of this post is impressive. You continue doing what you do. I'll continue doing what I do, and I haven't blown a single engine yet.
I'm with you ddnspider, sometimes pantera is waayyyyy out there. According to his logic my car shouldn't even run without melting the pistons. I've run my car as rich as 10.0:1 and 10* when I was tuning it just slowing bringing in the timing and taking out some fuel. It now runs at 11.5:1 and 18-22* depending on iats. But it ran fine at lower timing and pig rich, just wasn't making as much power.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

All I can think of with his caps lock use is this:

Old 07-03-2018, 05:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by epfatboy
Lance,

What is CORRECT timing and how are you finding it? EGT only??

I also question the definition of correct AFR. I'm a total turbo newb but have plenty of Nitrous experience. I see a crap ton of turbo tunes in the 11.5AFR range and they seem to survive and make good power. I do think it's pig rich from previous experience but wonder if turbos differ in AFR needs from nitrous and why?
The "correct" way would in controlled conditions on a dyno, what achieves best power/torque without pushing into the danger zone...( ie detonation ). So depending on fuel/setup etc etc some ( most ) will be knock limited before optimal timing can be achieved. Others with good fuel etc may well be able to run more timing than is actually needed or best.

In the absence of a dyno....it's kinda a guessing game and people take various routes to achieve their goals.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:28 AM
9 Second Club

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Stevie, so in a nut shell unless it's a max effort build taking a conservative approach is where most of us are at. It isn't hard to read plugs and takes very little time. I think EGT is an excellent option here too but plugs will let you know if timing is in the ball park.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
I'm with you ddnspider, sometimes pantera is waayyyyy out there. According to his logic my car shouldn't even run without melting the pistons. I've run my car as rich as 10.0:1 and 10* when I was tuning it just slowing bringing in the timing and taking out some fuel. It now runs at 11.5:1 and 18-22* depending on iats. But it ran fine at lower timing and pig rich, just wasn't making as much power.
Originally Posted by truckdoug
All I can think of with his caps lock use is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDgez8QDAKo

His posts kind of remind of that one dude who also took an arrogant tone fairly often (PrincessTalon), and also spoke in parables and other twisty riddle me this type stuff. Always worth a good laugh either way.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

For me, it's not so much arrogance, it's the random all caps words. Stuff reads like a nightmare. I challenge you to find one post of his that isn't like that.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's gotta be some sort of voice to text program.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Little more info here, took the short block apart. All 7 other pistons look great, no signs of detonation or extreme heat. #6 rod is bent pretty good, the others look good. All bearings look mint. I’m still wierded out by the fact #1 had issues and #7 didn’t.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

1 simply fails first...then the rest dont get a chance to follow.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

I'd be curious about fuel distribution and injectors as to whether they were flow matched or not. If your wideband said 11.5 on 91 octane, that 1 cylinder could have been leaner than the rest. Combined with high timing and "poor" octane, it went boom. Like I been saying lean and high timing is a good way to blow up a boosted pump gas LS.....the trail of parts is well documented on this site over the last 15 or 20 years lol.

Quick Reply: Melted a piston - unsure why.