Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What’s the difference between cheap turbo & name brand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Precision must have went in the toilet cause years ago my T76GTS was AWESOME, made great power and never had a single issue over 10k+ miles and I used the dreaded oil restrictor in the feed line.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by customblackbird
So I could swap out my cast 78/75 VS for the new billet 78/75 chras?! Sweet!!!!

I would check with viren on that. I've used both and i think the compressor cover has a different contour inside for each.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
Generally they all come from the same supplier, and the only real difference is the name brand parts have QC check to see if the name brand ones are in spec.
That still has nothing to do with manufacturing tolerances. The manufacturer makes parts to whatever tolerances the customer requests, they don't just send the crappier parts to one customer and the better ones to another. Whatever the order is, that's what we make, regardless of whether the parts are identical dimensionally or to whom the parts are shipped. I've actually made identical parts for two different customers before - the only difference was the name we put on the part - but we didn't mix-n-match them nor sort through them, we just made whatever the order was and that was that. This is also why an OEM supplier =/= to an OEM part.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

how much whp does the vs 7875 support ?
Old 08-02-2018, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 446 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Precision must have went in the toilet cause years ago my T76GTS was AWESOME, made great power and never had a single issue over 10k+ miles and I used the dreaded oil restrictor in the feed line.
they 'fail a lot' because theyre on all the fastest cars and are pushed extremely hard. almost any other turbo on those same cars wouldnt make within 100hp.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
they 'fail a lot' because theyre on all the fastest cars and are pushed extremely hard. almost any other turbo on those same cars wouldnt make within 100hp.
I agree, I've been shocked at the bad press lately from street car people who've trashed Precision.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

while my limited personal experience with PTE has been not quite encouraging, if you watch any of the no prep stuff or cash days, etc...you begin to see a trend in which cars have PTE stickers and what kinda results they get.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:22 AM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by freeky
how much whp does the vs 7875 support ?
I don't know hp. but ive seen one go 9.40 at 140 mph on a 5.3 in a 3500 lb backhalf car. 21 psi .

Old 08-03-2018, 08:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Wrong, there's about a 40-50whp hit in power. Really, everything you just said is wrong.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:24 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
while my limited personal experience with PTE has been not quite encouraging, if you watch any of the no prep stuff or cash days, etc...you begin to see a trend in which cars have PTE stickers and what kinda results they get.
They definitely make power. Their wheel designs are top notch and they go through the R&D to find out which set of wheels should be paired together for maximum efficiency.

That being said, I've been the victim of 2 brand new yet oil puking overpriced Precision turbos, as well as having my life saved by the glass separating me from the dyno room when a compressor wheel decided to become a supersonic weapon.
There are videos on youtube of Precision wheels becoming projectiles. Google will also lead you to thousands and thousands of complaints about bad turbos. I'm not sure if maybe its a street car thing or not? Most race cars seem to do fine with them, but the amount of run-time on them is typically way down compared to your average street car.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah the one I tried to use sheared the shaft at the compressor wheel. The wheel didn't escape, but PTE wouldn't even quote a rebuild. Comp housing was scrap. On the shelf it sits, the guy bought a 7875 and hasnt looked back.

Now, given that it was a used unit with a questionable origin...third or fouth hand from someone whos a somebody at ETS...supposedly

I havent done any research into it really. I just see the stickers all over 1320 video and stuff.

I'm plenty happy with my china boys. Still havent gone past 12 psi with this vsr s480 and already pushing through the converter

the billet 7875 took my full size truck to 11.18 at 8 psi, on pump gas. I mean, thats pretty difficult to beat, cost-wise.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
That still has nothing to do with manufacturing tolerances. The manufacturer makes parts to whatever tolerances the customer requests, they don't just send the crappier parts to one customer and the better ones to another. Whatever the order is, that's what we make, regardless of whether the parts are identical dimensionally or to whom the parts are shipped. I've actually made identical parts for two different customers before - the only difference was the name we put on the part - but we didn't mix-n-match them nor sort through them, we just made whatever the order was and that was that. This is also why an OEM supplier =/= to an OEM part.
That must be nice. I make parts that go straight to OEMs and parts that go through 3 different middlemen before they get put on a car. We have never had 2 different QC specs for a part. The difference in quality control checks between companies, and even different customer divisions of those companies can be huge..
Old 08-06-2018, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 446 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Wrong, there's about a 40-50whp hit in power. Really, everything you just said is wrong.
theres a reason theyre on almost all of the fastest cars. hate all you want, pte is pricey and people break them, but they make the most power hands down.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

theres a reason theyre on almost all of the fastest cars. hate all you want, pte is pricey and people break them, but they make the most power hands down.
Lol....
Old 08-06-2018, 07:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Holdener has been testing a few different turbos and combos lately on FB....and the likes of Precision performed considerably better than it's Chinese wannabes

And with more testing to come

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Old 08-09-2018, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do all the real fast racers actually pay for there turbos? Or are they sponsored?
Old 08-09-2018, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be hesitant to skimp on a turbo on my vehicle. Just saying. You get what you pay for.....
Old 08-09-2018, 08:39 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Holdener has been testing a few different turbos and combos lately on FB....and the likes of Precision performed considerably better than it's Chinese wannabes

And with more testing to come

Take note that it was also making MUCH more boost than any of the others. Not an apples to apples comparison.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZEN357
I would be hesitant to skimp on a turbo on my vehicle. Just saying. You get what you pay for.....
Precision billet 76/75 lasted all of about 10k miles, China knockoff....2 years and about the same mileage later, still going strong. Thought it had let go a while back, but it was the name brand scavenge pump instead. There's absolutely nothing wrong with China turbos, other than they don't make quite the power of let's say a precision unit. But they last just as long, if not longer.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Take note that it was also making MUCH more boost than any of the others. Not an apples to apples comparison.
Boost aspect was a little odd...but they did say this was wastegate only, no bleed offs etc etc. So the only reason for higher boost with the Precision must be boost creep ?. But it was making more power everywhere anyway

Quick Reply: What’s the difference between cheap turbo & name brand?