Notices
Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My first single turbo build

Old 01-15-2019, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LaBLKv6Z View Post
Ah that's right cool deal man. Thanks, the new engine only has 700 miles on it lol. Hope to see you up and running again soon.
Iím reading your build thread right now. Sucks you bought a bad motor. What you end up doing with it?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kfxguy View Post

Iím reading your build thread right now. Sucks you bought a bad motor. What you end up doing with it?
Yeah, I parted it out since I had it disassembled already. I sold the block to a guy in Lake Charles and the rotating assembly to a guy in Georgia. The heads sold to a local guy. I'm using the intake and headers on my new setup.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

O guys, I forgot. You know how sometimes you start out with cheap **** and then upgrade as you go on? Well, because my wastegate failed (which I repaired and fixed better than new) I really didn’t want to chance it again so I bought this:

Old 01-18-2019, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Tear the car down yet?
Old 01-18-2019, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Game ova View Post
Tear the car down yet?
i put it on jack stands last night and had to fix my creeper lol. I may pull it or at least start tonight. Do t have to work tomorrow so Iíll have it out and torn down by the evening. Iíll keep it updated. I may have a coolant leak too. Not sure where itís coming from, Iím bringing a pressure tester home from work. If itís the head gasket, Iím just gonna pull the engine out too and go through it so Iíll stop worrying about it. I canít decide if I just just put the 5.3 I have in instead.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Water is dripping between the block and head when I pressurize it. Nice. Not only do I have to built the Trans, I have to pull the heads and change gaskets. I knew it would be a problem tho. I used some composite gaskets to get a little thinner squish And I knew better. They really weren’t ideal for boost.

fellas. I don’t know what to do at this point. On the one hand, I’ll have the trans out so pulling the motor won’t be that much more difficult because I have to pull the heads, intake, turbo and headers. I could fix the small oil pan leak, file the rings and maybe coat the pistons and port the oil pump. Maybe change the cam. New gaskets and stuff. Or just pull the heads, swap gaskets. Boost and pray.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Water is dripping between the block and head when I pressurize it. Nice. Not only do I have to built the Trans, I have to pull the heads and change gaskets. I knew it would be a problem tho. I used some composite gaskets to get a little thinner squish And I knew better. They really werenít ideal for boost.

fellas. I donít know what to do at this point. On the one hand, Iíll have the trans out so pulling the motor wonít be that much more difficult because I have to pull the heads, intake, turbo and headers. I could fix the small oil pan leak, file the rings and maybe coat the pistons and port the oil pump. Maybe change the cam. New gaskets and stuff. Or just pull the heads, swap gaskets. Boost and pray.
You WILL want more boost, so go ahead and gap the rings before you wind up with a completely hulled motor, and I wouldn't waste money on coating pistons. If you don't gap the rings, then I wouldn't even worry with the cam, as the motor will probably be scrap before you max the cam and turbo out, because of the rings meeting. Either way, go back with LS9s and be done with headgasket issues.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put an 80e in there!
Old 01-19-2019, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I got it apart. It’s probably the worst failure I’ve seen and just from a damn output shaft. It took out:

Input drum
reaction shaft
output shaft
front planet
sungear
and because I can’t seperate the reaction shaft from the sungear, I can’t use the beast sunshell.

The clutches and 2-4 band still look new there wasn’t much slippage.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Weird to lose an input AND output shaft at the same time, and everything in between. Do you plan on staying with the 60e? Are you opposed to a 400?
Old 01-19-2019, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Weird to lose an input AND output shaft at the same time, and everything in between. Do you plan on staying with the 60e? Are you opposed to a 400?
input shaft isnít broke. But the shaft breaking caused everything to hit and tore up the input shaft and drum. Along with all the other parts.

i drive this car alot, a 400 will never be in the plans. I may go 4l80 or if Iím going to spend that much money I might as well put a 6l80 in it. I think what Iím going to do is fix this trans for now as best I can, I donít have the money to do anything else at the moment. Iíll Pull the engine out next weekend and gap the rings. Fix head gaskets. New oil pan gasket. Build my bigger down pipe. Put it back together and see where Iím at. Iím going to definitely put the torque management back in because this happened right after I turned it off. This is subject to change too of course. Right now Iím pissed. And bummed about it. Iíll be thinking more clearly in a few days.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

I may go 4l80 or if Iím going to spend that much money I might as well put a 6l80 in it.
My fault, seen input drum and automatically thought input shaft. No personal experience, but I've seen it said that those 6l80s aren't all that solid. However a well done 4l80 is tried and proven.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:39 PM
TECH Veteran

6l80 is a pita to tune. cesar aka subeone can make 'em work tho
Old 01-19-2019, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I’ll figure it out. I’m having thoughts of selling the car. Let me ask you guys this. At what boost level should I worry about the rings butting? The reason I ask is, I could just set the car up on lower boost, say 8-10lbs, fix the trans and upgrade while I’m at it. Put good head gaskets on and not pull the motor. Then get a 10 second slip and sell the car. I’m really not wanting to sink several grand in the drivetrain. I know when I get the trans to hold, the stubs or cv shafts are gonna break. $1000 for stubs and $1000 for axles. $1000 for a 4l80 stall. Cost of trans. Cost to rebuild and upgrade. Just too much money to sink into this car. I could sell it and get a 5th gen camaro and put a turbo on it and start off with a better platform. I dunno. I’m just agitated right now and not sure what I want to do.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Iíll figure it out. Iím having thoughts of selling the car. Let me ask you guys this. At what boost level should I worry about the rings butting? The reason I ask is, I could just set the car up on lower boost, say 8-10lbs, fix the trans and upgrade while Iím at it. Put good head gaskets on and not pull the motor. Then get a 10 second slip and sell the car. Iím really not wanting to sink several grand in the drivetrain. I know when I get the trans to hold, the stubs or cv shafts are gonna break. $1000 for stubs and $1000 for axles. $1000 for a 4l80 stall. Cost of trans. Cost to rebuild and upgrade. Just too much money to sink into this car. I could sell it and get a 5th gen camaro and put a turbo on it and start off with a better platform. I dunno. Iím just agitated right now and not sure what I want to do.
Gets expensive, and I understand your frustration, which is one reason I quit tracking my car. But those 5th gens still operate on half shafts, and they are NOT a good platform imo. If you want to get away from all of the problems of the gto platform, and the 5th gen (same problems, other than the 4l60), sounds cliche, but ****** up a v6 4th gen and put in work.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gets expensive, and I understand your frustration, which is one reason I quit tracking my car. But those 5th gens still operate on half shafts, and they are NOT a good platform imo. If you want to get away from all of the problems of the gto platform, and the 5th gen (same problems, other than the 4l60), sounds cliche, but ****** up a v6 4th gen and put in work.
my main problem is Iím very impatient and I want to drive my car. I really just need to get it in my head I can do without it for a month or two. If I tap the rings and freshen it up, Iíll be good on the engine and Trans side for a while. Then maybe get the stubs before they break. I have extra cv shafts. Sorry if I sound wish washy. Itís because right now I am. Just agitated because this came at a bad time. Wife is wanting to go on an expensive vacation and I canít afford both right now. Lol
Old 01-19-2019, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

my main problem is Iím very impatient and I want to drive my car. I really just need to get it in my head I can do without it for a month or two. If I tap the rings and freshen it up, Iíll be good on the engine and Trans side for a while. Then maybe get the stubs before they break. I have extra cv shafts. Sorry if I sound wish washy. Itís because right now I am. Just agitated because this came at a bad time. Wife is wanting to go on an expensive vacation and I canít afford both right now. Lol
Its completely understandable. Not bashing the whip, but those GTOS are not what you want if you intend on making real power, and tracking the car. I can also understand being sick while the car is down, makes it hard to sleep at night, even kills the sex drive. If you are like me, when my car was down, I would literally dream about it.... and wake up praying it was fixed/just a dream. My advice would be to just put it in the garage and forget about it for a while, and take the wife on vacation. No sense in having a pissed off wife, and a jacked up car.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

happy wife, happy life
Old 01-19-2019, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol. You guys are right. No worries on bashing the gto. I know it’s not really a good platform to go fast on. On my first outing, with minor issues, I almost reached my original goal without running a crazy amount of boost. Which I guess isn’t too bad. I fell short on the mph goal but realizing issues I found tonight, I know it’s within reach. Other issues I didn’t mention, there one that’s been plaguing me. My v band joint going from my crossover into the back of my turbo manifold. I accidentally made the pipe a little too close to the block. After I welded it all up, I realized that it was a bitch to fit the v band clamp onto it because it was too tight a fit, I botched the v band clamp as a last ditch effort to get it in there. When I was taking the crossover pipe off, I found out that clamp was loose. The reason it was loose is because the t part broke. So I had a nice leak right there. Then in the low/reverse drum, the release spring Snap ring popped out its groove. Explains the 1-2 shift hitting the limiter. I’m gonna have to figure out a fix for that. Bad design and seems like high line pressure causes that to happen. That happening will kill mph. I knew it didn’t quite feel right in third gear. My theory is this drum partially applied while your in second and third because it doesn’t fully release when the spring pack is not forcing it to release. That spring pack does have a lot of pressure behind it, and there’s a reason why it’s like that. This trans has lots of internal leaks and the spring pack has to overcome that. So essentially it’s partially (lightly) applying reverse while your going forward. Probably not good for trap speed lol.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, stock 5.3 with 150k and never touched the rings. Iíve been up to 15psi on 93 pump with wiper fluid injection and a FMIC and I run 16-18* at 12-14psi. It was run with a stock cam and 11psi with a centri and the same 5.3 with a custom blower cam and 15psi via a VS 78/75 (now Billet 78/75). Never had an issue. Your timing is very low for what u were running with the 100 octane mix and I know u got a FMIC.

Best option for u would be throw it back together with some GM MLS (I run stock 5.7 MLS on mine), throw a 80e in with a HD2 shift kit and let it eat. Your not even getting into the fun zone with that turbo, going from 11psi to 14psi was a big difference for me with the cast 78/75. Hope the Billet is alittle better.

or slap in non electronic tranny which seem cheaper to build. I rock an 2004R built for 800hp and itís been flawless.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: