Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSA BLOWER PULLEY - Smallest diameter pulley without belt slippage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSA BLOWER PULLEY - Smallest diameter pulley without belt slippage?

Title says it, whats the smallest diameter upper pulley I can run on my LSA blower without killing the belt. I'm running it in my LQ4 6.0 and running the oem crank pulley will get me 8psi. I want to spin the charger at 22,000rpm giving me about 14psi. The crank pulleys I was looking at were a bit pricey and getting a 2 piece charger pulley is the best bang for my buck. I was looking at a 2.175" pulley. Anyone have experience?
Old 08-19-2018, 07:35 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran the 2.38 on my V and never had any issues with slip. I had to have the OD of the snout turned down to fit it though. That was almost 3 years ago and I dont even think they had a pulley smaller than that at the time. I fought heat soak bad spinning the blower that fast. I couldn’t imagine going any smaller
Old 08-21-2018, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blown6.0L
I ran the 2.38 on my V and never had any issues with slip. I had to have the OD of the snout turned down to fit it though. That was almost 3 years ago and I dont even think they had a pulley smaller than that at the time. I fought heat soak bad spinning the blower that fast. I couldn’t imagine going any smaller
Thanks for the in site! I cant find anyone that shared their experience with the 2.175 pulley. I have a big air to water intercooler I'd like to utilize to get the air temps down as much as possible.. The crank pulley on your V is smaller so my engine will naturally spin it slower. Do you know how many rpm your blower was spinning at with the 2.38 pulley?
Old 08-22-2018, 03:10 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Try these guys......they claim no more belt slip.

http://www.z-industries.com/supercharger-drive/

Old 08-22-2018, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatTurbo'd56
Title says it, whats the smallest diameter upper pulley I can run on my LSA blower without killing the belt. I'm running it in my LQ4 6.0 and running the oem crank pulley will get me 8psi. I want to spin the charger at 22,000rpm giving me about 14psi. The crank pulleys I was looking at were a bit pricey and getting a 2 piece charger pulley is the best bang for my buck. I was looking at a 2.175" pulley. Anyone have experience?
You might try this site for a pulley. Ask for Branden Whittle or contact Metco and ask for Rick. Get their advise.

http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/metco-...met-lsa-2-50rc

As for belt shrinkage and slippage.

Gates recently started a new product line of belts named RPM specifically for supercharged applications. Due to the construction and materials used, belt stretch is almost non-existent based on anecdotal posts on this site. Belt stretch is what causes belt slip, heat, and wear. Slippage heats up the pulley and the bearings inside. Anodizing helps too.

http://www.gatesracing.com/

Is this a keyed pulley or a pulley with bearings? Longevity of bearings inside the pulley is critical since the speed of the pulley is so high - the bearing life is shortened significantly.

For example: I have a 50mm pulley I ordered from Branden to use as a static idler pulley on the Aster Bracket on my Procharged 1998 Z28. It is originally used on a CTSV (50mm idler pulley MET-MIP-50V).

It has two standard 6203 style bearings 6203 with a 17mm bore. That bore size is the same as all idler pulleys on the LS1, don't know about Corvettes but assume it is because it is the same bore because it is also the same on the CTSV.

From Branden:
“We use 6203-style bearings in all of our idler pulleys, including the 50mm unit, and these bearings have the standard ID of 17mm. Measured thickness at the ID is 12mm.”

hth

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 08-22-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to try out the 2.175 blower pulley. And also try to go up in idler sizes to increase wrap around the pulley.