Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Track guys, how do you keep the iats down in the staging lanes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy

so that will cool off my intercooler?
Open your hood you smart ***. Jesus Christ dude. Do you really think you’re in some totally different scenario that no one has ever experienced before? You’re not special.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by 2ndGenLSX
I place a York peppermint patty just before the sensor. Then the computer thinks ITS ON TOP OF A MOUNTAIN. Instant ice cold IATs.
i lol'd
Old 09-19-2018, 08:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.Lug

Open your hood you smart ***. Jesus Christ dude. Do you really think you’re in some totally different scenario that no one has ever experienced before? You’re not special.
you need anger management.

So so I open my hood. Cut the engine off. Put an electric water pump. I still don’t see that cooling my iats off. The compressor housing and intercooler and pipes get heat soaked because no air is flowing through them. Cooling the block off isn’t going to help lower my air temps. When I kill the car, the exhaust heat travels over to the compressor side and heats the **** out of it. Then I’ve got to fight to cool that down. I see that being a huge issue at the track. Especially in this weather. And like I said it gets heated in traffic. Thanks for your input tho. O and thanks for the temper tantrum. I had a good laugh. Lol
Old 09-19-2018, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

he's not wrong. you post stupid questions then ignore the responses you get from those of us that have been there and done that.

i usually don't enjoy watching people struggle, but for you I take exception
Old 09-19-2018, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Water meth during run. Boom cools iat.
Agree. Methanol or water injection is the best because it acts on the air charge itself rather than the objects the air charge flows thru. Yes - over a sustained period of time the length of pipe from the injection point to the throttle body might cool down, but at most your run is not going to last more than 15 seconds so the temp of the charge pipe at that location is moot.

Any other method to cool probably won't be nearly as effective (fans for example) because of the inflated ambient air temps at bumper level parked on asphalt or cement. Don't believe - then next time parked in the staging lane, shoot your infared temp gun at the ground surface next to your car. If the local area weather channel says it 95 degrees, then the asphalt surface could be as high as 120 or higher. As a result the air above the surface will be much higher than ambient.

So fans pulling that heated air thru your heat soaked FMIC won't cool much from the air in front of or under your front bumper because it might be as high as 110 degrees. WHY? Because there is only about a 20 degree differential between the air above the surface and the heat soaked fmic and charge pipes.

The greater the differential in temp between two objects the quicker the transfer of heat from the warmest object to to the coolest object.

Example: stick a red hot piece of steel into a bucket of cold water and it cools almost instantly. Stick the same piece of red hot steel into a bucket of boiling water and it won't cool nearly as fast. The reason for the time difference is the temp differential between the two.

Cost wise, two good Spal puller fans behind your fmic will cost about $300. IMO a good methanol injection system will cost more but will be much more effective.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by truckdoug
he's not wrong. you post stupid questions then ignore the responses you get from those of us that have been there and done that.

i usually don't enjoy watching people struggle, but for you I take exception

hey thanks! I’m not struggling tho. I’m just asking questions and getting feedback. If you want to be in the douche crew too then be my guest. I didn’t **** in anyone Cheerios nor did I disagree with anyone. I haven’t been aggressive to anyone either. I’m just trying to learn as I go. I like to hear people’s opinions (when they aren’t being negative) and ideas. That’s how you can learn. I’m having no issues with my car. If I leave it as is it will be fine but I’m that kind of guy that likes things better than the average person. That’s what separates faster from fast. This is my first turbo build and I’d rather not break the engine so I’m trying to be cautious. Not sure what your deal is but whatever.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:45 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Don't pull timing until ~160 IATs. IATs below coolant temps are just going to get heated when they enter the cylinder heads and hit those nice big aluminum heat exchangers, valves, and cylinders.
Once you're over 10-12 PSI, then you can start considering IATs a little more. You're not quite there yet.

Water/Meth is the most reasonable answer here. $200 or so for a basic kit and the only time you'll ever think about IATs is as a failsafe for the meth pump.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Don't pull timing until ~160 IATs. IATs below coolant temps are just going to get heated when they enter the cylinder heads and hit those nice big aluminum heat exchangers, valves, and cylinders.
Once you're over 10-12 PSI, then you can start considering IATs a little more. You're not quite there yet.

Water/Meth is the most reasonable answer here. $200 or so for a basic kit and the only time you'll ever think about IATs is as a failsafe for the meth pump.
see this is what I always thought. The air once it gets into the engine is going to get heated anyways.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run an aux inline electric water pump (toggle switch activated):

Dual intercooler pumps run while key is on, 3 heat exchangers, large intercooler tank, E85, meth.

Also have the fans come on...

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 09-21-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Running meth/water, my AITs were 110* in the staging lanes. They were 70* at the end of a run . This is with a whipple 2.9 @11-12 lbs boost. Single .625ml nozzle. Im Sure they would be a lot cooler running straight meth with dual nozzles. My sensor is in the bottom of the intake
Old 09-21-2018, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for your input guys. I don’t have an air to water setup so a pump won’t help me. I think I’m gonna spend $30 on some cheap fans and see if they help. If they do, great. If not, I’ve wasted more money on stupider stuff. Lol
Old 09-23-2018, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by hammdo
I run an aux inline electric water pump (toggle switch activated):

Dual intercooler pumps run while key is on, 3 heat exchangers, large intercooler tank, E85, meth.

Also have the fans come on...

-Don

Curious if you know where you found that pump?
Old 09-23-2018, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.summitracing.com/tx/parts/emp-e389a-bk14

I use the electric when I need to...

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 09-23-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndGenLSX
I place a York peppermint patty just before the sensor. Then the computer thinks ITS ON TOP OF A MOUNTAIN. Instant ice cold IATs.
******* genius.