Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Budget wastegates, surge valves

Old 12-18-2018, 07:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

Default Budget wastegates, surge valves

Looking to try and save a penny, remember that one, lol-anyway, wondering if any of the budget waste gates
hold up-in the past I have bought name brand ones, but if there are some quality budget ones I might try
one. I did use an Ebay surge valve on the last build, it seemed fine.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:19 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I've had bad luck with ebay wastegates.
Not that they don't work, but the valve / valve stem in them is pretty loose. I installed a genuine Tial diaphragm in a knockoff gate when I pinched the one in mine but it didn't help.
It didn't help that huge clearance issue between the valve and valve stem that caused it to rattle and "clap" at idle.
Same thing with my buddies VS gate. Lots of rattle/clap at idle. He said the valve fell out when he opened it up the gate to see what was going on.
Technically, both gates worked fine. Quite a bit of exhaust made it through mine at idle when it was rattling though.

As far as the big Tial knockoff blow off valves? ZERO issues. I love both of mine.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 496 Likes on 383 Posts

I'm of the mindset that the wastegate isn't an area to fully cheap out on considering what it controls and the amount of abuse it has to endure.
I'm on my second used Tial WG and both have worked flawlessly and when priced new are towards the bottom of the spectrum so Tial would be my recommendation.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought old school Turbonetics Deltagates for the same price you would find an ebay one from china. I use dual wastegates since i have a divided T4 hotside.

I also used OEM WRX bypass valves because the boost levels i was at didn't exceed what a stock WRX does.

Everything works well.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

I use china gates almost exclusively. You do have to prep them though. The QC on 'em is real bad. cutting chips in the ports etc...
Old 12-18-2018, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

I saw some Tials on ebay, they even say made in the USA, but obs. knock offs. Prob just spend
the money and get a good one.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I personally used the cxracing 44mm wastegate, wyntom ebay gates, 60mm ebay gates, jgs wategate and am back to dual 60mm ebay gates. All have worked great. The ebay gates i always disassembled and checked and a two i trimmed the valvegiuide and lapped them to get a complete seal but i never got clapping at idle. I have always used compressed air to operate the gates with ms3 for control. Only real difference i saw was that the air compressor didnt come on nearly as often with the jgs gate but it never bothered me when the compressor ran in the trunk every once in a while. Honestly it was barely a difference really.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I have and eBay gate and it's been great no leaking at idle or boost fluctuations. It has always been Rick solid.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I've had bad luck with ebay wastegates.
Not that they don't work, but the valve / valve stem in them is pretty loose. I installed a genuine Tial diaphragm in a knockoff gate when I pinched the one in mine but it didn't help.
It didn't help that huge clearance issue between the valve and valve stem that caused it to rattle and "clap" at idle.
Same thing with my buddies VS gate. Lots of rattle/clap at idle. He said the valve fell out when he opened it up the gate to see what was going on.
Technically, both gates worked fine. Quite a bit of exhaust made it through mine at idle when it was rattling though.

As far as the big Tial knockoff blow off valves? ZERO issues. I love both of mine.
Have been using them for 3 years. 0 issues
Old 12-18-2018, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheap eBay gates only for me.

Search this Thread