LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/)
-   -   MAxed out s480 new turbo recommendations for 4.xx pass (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1912353-maxed-out-s480-new-turbo-recommendations-4-xx-pass.html)

Luke1999 12-26-2018 05:11 PM

MAxed out s480 new turbo recommendations for 4.xx pass
 
1 Attachment(s)
Okay so looking to upgrade our turbo for next race season. Right now we have a cast borg Warner s480 with 1.58ar. Itís a dart 427lsx motor with brodix heads and turbo cam all built by late model engines. Its a 750 blow thru carb built by csu. The fastest pass to date is a 5.46 at 133mph. The wastegates are pretty much locked shut 1 second into the run it makes max 25lbs of boost. Talked to Jose from forced inductions he recommended borg Warnerís new 91/100mm turbo with a billet wheel and a race cover. Would like to hear other peopleís recommendations? Want to stick with a t6 flange turbo and our goal next year is a high 4 second pass. All info is greatly appreciated !

JakeFusion 12-26-2018 05:49 PM

That's a good turbo for a 427. The cast S480 is too small for the 427. That's good for a 370. S484 is good for the 383-408 crowd and the S485 opens up a little more. You need the S488 or S491 with the bigger exhaust wheel for anything over 416 and 6500RPM...

Luke1999 12-26-2018 07:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes I bought this s480 back when the engine was smaller cubes. Jose from forced inductions told me to run ther new 91/100 from borg Warner. I would think that 100mm exhaust wheel would really help but I also see people with my cubes running 106 or 118s but if I can get better results with the 91/100 I will go with that

BlackSS4thgen 12-26-2018 10:47 PM

I would go with something larger myself with a 427. Look for a used Precision G trim x275 88mm or so. Youll need a lot of turbine because lets face it. If its going smooth you will want to keep going. Talk to jose about a gt55 if you have a larger budget. But like I mentioned people sell those g trim turbos for less than a new 10mm turbine s400 all of the time. I know guys flyyyying on those.

I ran an 88/100 on my 388" the past two years and it was awesome for the money. I ran the turbine out at 26.5 psi at 6,500 rpm +.
itd make 29.4 at most from 4,500-6,00 then fall after.

Wheelie problems limited me for quite some time. Which it appears yours was up there too lol.

I ran [email protected] mph with that turbo making all it could. Weak ass 1.20 60 and 3.25 330

I recently switched to Jose's GTR55. 113mm turbine is worth so much more power, rpm, and so much less backpressure

subeone 12-27-2018 12:33 AM

MINIMUM a 100mm turbine. An 88/100 with tial v band exh housing will get you into the 4s. If you want deep 4s I suggest a promod PTE 88.

slowlsx 12-27-2018 02:58 AM

91/100 if ur on a budget. But Jose has much badder turbos for that many inches. I'd look at one of hits GTR GT55 units, if you're not class limited go to the 98mm. You'll never need to upgrade again and should be enough turbo for 1600+

SLOW SEDAN 12-27-2018 09:25 AM


Originally Posted by Luke1999 (Post 20021263)
Okay so looking to upgrade our turbo for next race season. Right now we have a cast borg Warner s480 with 1.58ar. Itís a dart 427lsx motor with brodix heads and turbo cam all built by late model engines. Its a 750 blow thru carb built by csu. The fastest pass to date is a 5.46 at 133mph. The wastegates are pretty much locked shut 1 second into the run it makes max 25lbs of boost. Talked to Jose from forced inductions he recommended borg Warnerís new 91/100mm turbo with a billet wheel and a race cover. Would like to hear other peopleís recommendations? Want to stick with a t6 flange turbo and our goal next year is a high 4 second pass. All info is greatly appreciated !

I would go larger then the 91/100 on a 427, you can max out that turbine on a 5.3L. All that money into the engine get a real turbo, Precision pro-mod or Garrett GTX55 period. The borgs don't have enough turbine for your engine unless you step up to the S500 chassis and even then I think the other two options perform better then the Borg at that level.

BlackSS4thgen 12-27-2018 09:53 AM

1.32 ar 88/100 VS 1.40 ar gtr55
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...68b42af667.jpg

BlackSS4thgen 12-27-2018 09:55 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...c7771fb57f.jpg

Luke1999 12-27-2018 12:04 PM

Thanks for all the replyís guys. Those pictures really do justice. Thatís what I want to do I want this to be the last time I upgrade the turbo. Are those garret gtx55 t6 flange? Thatís the one thing I really donít want to change because my flange is welded into a crossmember. I will change all the cold side piping if needed and my exhaust. And what is the price on those garret units? Jose told me $2200 for the 91/100 borg Warner. Trying to be around that price range maybe a little more and the precision pro mods are way out of my price range thanks for all the help

BlackSS4thgen 12-27-2018 12:11 PM


Originally Posted by Luke1999 (Post 20021555)
Thanks for all the replyís guys. Those pictures really do justice. Thatís what I want to do I want this to be the last time I upgrade the turbo. Are those garret gtx55 t6 flange? Thatís the one thing I really donít want to change because my flange is welded into a crossmember. I will change all the cold side piping if needed and my exhaust. And what is the price on those garret units? Jose told me $2200 for the 91/100 borg Warner. Trying to be around that price range maybe a little more and the precision pro mods are way out of my price range thanks for all the help

The Gt55;s are about $4,000 retail from FI.

Thats why I mentioned picking up a good used 88mm x275 turbo. The G trim turbine is for the larger CI stuff. I see them frequently for $1600-$2,000 on forums and turbo bullet. I have friends with them on 400+ci setups doing excellent.

That would absolutely be the best turbo you could get for the money.

I only suggest because every year I lose money wanting to upgrade. The 100 turbine would be an improvement over what you have. It would definitely get you into the 4's and probably over 140 traps depending on your weight. But itll eventually hit a wall.

Luke1999 12-27-2018 12:37 PM

Thanks for all youíre help. I guess I will start searching the forums for a x275 88 with a g trim wheel. The car weighs 3100lbs how fast have those x275 88mm been in the 1/8? And most of the races we go to local tracks thereís no turbo size limits which is a plus but we may want to put a radial on it and go down to Cecil or MIR once we get some 4 second passes down and that class legal 88mm will come in handy then.

MIAmotorsports 12-27-2018 01:50 PM


Originally Posted by Luke1999 (Post 20021571)
Thanks for all youíre help. I guess I will start searching the forums for a x275 88 with a g trim wheel. The car weighs 3100lbs how fast have those x275 88mm been in the 1/8? And most of the races we go to local tracks thereís no turbo size limits which is a plus but we may want to put a radial on it and go down to Cecil or MIR once we get some 4 second passes down and that class legal 88mm will come in handy then.

4.40's with the gtx55 at x275 weight.

4U2BNVS 12-27-2018 05:59 PM

I know not apples to apples, but we just dyno'd my buddies s491 on a sbc 427 with 18 degree heads and it made 1746 on an engine dyno maxed out. That was on 23 lbs.

BlackSS4thgen 12-27-2018 09:22 PM


Originally Posted by 4U2BNVS (Post 20021760)
I know not apples to apples, but we just dyno'd my buddies s491 on a sbc 427 with 18 degree heads and it made 1746 on an engine dyno maxed out. That was on 23 lbs.

Has it made any passes yet?

3pedals 12-28-2018 07:42 AM

What is the turbine exducer size on each of those bad boys?


Originally Posted by BlackSS4thgen (Post 20021494)


Luke1999 12-28-2018 08:25 AM


Originally Posted by 4U2BNVS (Post 20021760)
I know not apples to apples, but we just dyno'd my buddies s491 on a sbc 427 with 18 degree heads and it made 1746 on an engine dyno maxed out. That was on 23 lbs.

damn 1746 is a good ass number but I made the same lbs of boost with a s480 Iím sure a lsx will push more air with that turbo. Is that with the 100mm turbine wheel ?

BlackSS4thgen 12-28-2018 09:41 AM


Originally Posted by 3pedals (Post 20021949)
What is the turbine exducer size on each of those bad boys?

100 on the s400
112 or 113 depending on who you ask on the gt55

SwampWS6 12-28-2018 02:02 PM


Originally Posted by 4U2BNVS (Post 20021760)
I know not apples to apples, but we just dyno'd my buddies s491 on a sbc 427 with 18 degree heads and it made 1746 on an engine dyno maxed out. That was on 23 lbs.

Anymore details on this build?

4U2BNVS 12-30-2018 04:55 PM


Originally Posted by BlackSS4thgen (Post 20021855)
Has it made any passes yet?

It hasn't yet. It's going in a leaf spring 76 c10. Hoping it can run decent in small tire no prep stuff


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands