LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/)
-   -   What makes you pick a single or twin setup? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1912609-what-makes-you-pick-single-twin-setup.html)

Game ova 01-02-2019 10:47 PM

If you want realistic longevity and reliability, stay away from the name brand precision. They make the power, but are definitely lacking stamina.

01ssreda4 01-03-2019 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 20024522)
There's an awful lot of bullshit in this thread.

And the guy just wanted a small power upgrade for his truck. I dont recall him wanting to build the fastest LS powered vehicle in the world lol.

What fun is an early morning at work without a little friendly bickering :secret2:

SLOW SEDAN 01-03-2019 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 (Post 20024784)
What fun is an early morning at work without a little friendly bickering :secret2:

True, gotta do something at work.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 (Post 20024518)
Theres a million records for this that and the other. And other exceptions like packaging may be easier for twin smaller turbos rather then one big one on rear engine cars like lambos....same kinda goes for vettes. Fastest manual LS has the fucking twins in front of the windshield and worked his ass off to get ahead of the single turbo car that held the record for a while. Come on bro........

So I give you 7 twin turbo records and you cant provide one single turbo record?

And whatever that blue Camaro worked way longer at trying to be fast and was never consistent, shit would run great one pass and either blow up or run slow the next pass. Least the vette makes a shitty pass and still runs 8's and he built the car and set the record in about a year. Probably why the Camaro is for sale realized he cant be consistent, damn thing never even went straight whoever buys it needs to take it to a chassis guy or something.

Game ova 01-03-2019 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN (Post 20024805)

So I give you 7 twin turbo records and you cant provide one single turbo record?

And whatever that blue Camaro worked way longer at trying to be fast and was never consistent, shit would run great one pass and either blow up or run slow the next pass. Least the vette makes a shitty pass and still runs 8's and he built the car and set the record in about a year. Probably why the Camaro is for sale realized he cant be consistent, damn thing never even went straight whoever buys it needs to take it to a chassis guy or something.

Talking about this car? This stunt he pulled looks cool and all, but he got VERY lucky. Surprised he hasn't wrecked it yet.
Not really into the car, but I admit, this pass looked nice.

JoeNova 01-03-2019 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN (Post 20024805)

He didn't build the car, he barely worked on it, and he has WAY more money in it than Ray had in his Camaro.
That being said, twins are going to be faster. The reason everyone sees singles as faster is usually because of class rules. A lot of Street and Outlaw classes only allowed singles for years. Guys started getting deep into the 7s on a single 76mm. 1/8th saw them creep super far down into the 4s with a larger turbo.

Twins will always have more power potential, but we're talking about abnormal circumstances. For basically any 'street' sized twins, there will be a single out there able to make more power. Its only beyond that point that it becomes apparent, twins have more potential.

SLOW SEDAN 01-03-2019 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Game ova (Post 20024809)
Talking about this car? This stunt he pulled looks cool and all, but he got VERY lucky. Surprised he hasn't wrecked it yet.
Not really into the car, but I admit, this pass looked nice.
https://youtu.be/_Jp7-fEW4ZA

That's the one.

Originally Posted by JoeNova (Post 20024828)
He didn't build the car, he barely worked on it, and he has WAY more money in it than Ray had in his Camaro.
That being said, twins are going to be faster. The reason everyone sees singles as faster is usually because of class rules. A lot of Street and Outlaw classes only allowed singles for years. Guys started getting deep into the 7s on a single 76mm. 1/8th saw them creep super far down into the 4s with a larger turbo.

Twins will always have more power potential, but we're talking about abnormal circumstances. For basically any 'street' sized twins, there will be a single out there able to make more power. Its only beyond that point that it becomes apparent, twins have more potential.

I doubt he has any of his own actual money into the vette, considering most of the parts are provided via advertising and he makes money every time he starts the car on video. I'm sure Ray got some hookups along the way as well, pretty sure Monster was shipping him clutches regularly and texasspeed helped with the engine. Either way for what started as a basic LS setup with 6766 turbos its pretty impressive he went 7's with a manual. Could care less about the body panel, gokart blah blah blah debate. If it were easy more people would be doing it, and I don't see many even try.

Single vs twin comes down to price point as well, the singles that can make big power are $4k+. When you can get $1500-2000 worth of twins and make good power its appealing to some people on a budget, they can then use that money to build an engine that can handle it. I'm sure the people spending $4k+ on a turbo aren't worried about what the engine invoice is going to be.

JoeNova 01-03-2019 01:17 PM

True. That's why my first reply to this was fitment/cost.
Anything below 1500 horsepower is a complete toss-up now that companies like VS and On3 have 88+mm billet clones you can get for less than a grand.
For anyone who doesn't mind china turbos, budget almost gets tossed out in favor of fitment.

-I had tons of room under the hood of my Nova, so I went billet S475 (now S480). Finished the entire turbo setup for $1800 from the compressor inlet to the downpipe.
-I fabricated a twin setup for an S10 I was helping build. With truck accessories, he had to trim his fan shroud for the threaded snout of the water pump pulley to clear.
He also wanted to keep inner fenders. A single wasn't an option, not even a 7875. I managed to fit a pair of tiny 50mm T3 turbos under the hood with 3" downpipes. It runs mid 10s with a T56 at 3600 lbs cutting 1.4x 60'.
Total budget for this one with stock manifolds, piping, intercooler, twins was only $800.
-I had unlimited space on my corvette. No hood, no fenders, no bumpers, no restrictions. The quad turbo setup with custom manifolds, 4 T3 turbos, intercooler and piping, oil feed/return lines was all just $1500.
Fitment being the sole deciding factor in each of them. Budget is becoming less of an issue. None of the turbos are chosen based on power potential since they're all more than capable of the original goals.

For things like 99-07 silverados/sierras just wanting a mild bump in power, I usually do small twins so I can bolt the downpipes directly to the factory Y-pipe for an easy and clean install. Factory manifolds with 2.5" 14 gauge tubing and OBX 2.5" round to T3 or T4 transition flanges, and a few pieces of 3" J bends with new stock manifold flanges makes getting the turbos and hotside bolted in take ~4 hours with room to spare.

rotary1307cc 01-03-2019 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN (Post 20024936)
That's the one.

I doubt he has any of his own actual money into the vette, considering most of the parts are provided via advertising and he makes money every time he starts the car on video. I'm sure Ray got some hookups along the way as well, pretty sure Monster was shipping him clutches regularly and texasspeed helped with the engine. Either way for what started as a basic LS setup with 6766 turbos its pretty impressive he went 7's with a manual. Could care less about the body panel, gokart blah blah blah debate. If it were easy more people would be doing it, and I don't see many even try.

Single vs twin comes down to price point as well, the singles that can make big power are $4k+. When you can get $1500-2000 worth of twins and make good power its appealing to some people on a budget, they can then use that money to build an engine that can handle it. I'm sure the people spending $4k+ on a turbo aren't worried about what the engine invoice is going to be.

Your posts are sad

So you just automatically take a Billy badass ball bearing gt55 unit and want to compare to it to a set of plain jane journal bearing twins

Excellent logic

You can be into a journal bearing gt55 for under 3k

Want to compare to a fancy ball bearing gt55 you better be comparing with a pair of fancy gen 2 ball bearing 6870s or 7675s or Garrett gen 2 gtx4202s

DBRODS 01-03-2019 03:18 PM

Did someone say twin PTE 6870s and 40psi.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...49a0a1c94c.jpg

Lsx Rubi 01-03-2019 06:08 PM

Lol this thread has gone to shit like most turbo suggestions threads. The guy has a 6000lb dually and wants a responsive setup for a fun street driver . He's not planning to run 6s or 7s anytime soon .

gsteele 01-04-2019 04:20 AM

That's the one.

Why do you care at all about the body panels? Just doing my part to derail this thread even further. Or should it be farther?

01ssreda4 01-04-2019 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lsx Rubi (Post 20025097)
Lol this thread has gone to shit like most turbo suggestions threads. The guy has a 6000lb dually and wants a responsive setup for a fun street driver . He's not planning to run 6s or 7s anytime soon .

You're new to the internet aren't ya fella?

SLOW SEDAN 01-04-2019 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc (Post 20025007)
Your posts are sad

So you just automatically take a Billy badass ball bearing gt55 unit and want to compare to it to a set of plain jane journal bearing twins

Excellent logic

You can be into a journal bearing gt55 for under 3k

Want to compare to a fancy ball bearing gt55 you better be comparing with a pair of fancy gen 2 ball bearing 6870s or 7675s or Garrett gen 2 gtx4202s

Your life is sad! You missed the point again, as usual.

Originally Posted by gsteele (Post 20025283)
Why do you care at all about the body panels? Just doing my part to derail this thread even further. Or should it be farther?

Try to keep up... read what I said. I clearly said I don't care about the body panels unlike so many people that comment on youtube and facebook that use them as an argument with his times.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 (Post 20025359)
You're new to the internet aren't ya fella?

lol obviously he is, people take this shit way too seriously which makes me laugh.

gsteele 01-04-2019 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by gsteele (Post 20025283)

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN (Post 20025474)
Try to keep up... read what I said. I clearly said I don't care about the body panels unlike so many people that comment on youtube and facebook that use them as an argument with his times.

Really. You may have said it but that is not what you typed.

SLOW SEDAN 01-04-2019 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by gsteele (Post 20025487)
Really. You may have said it but that is not what you typed.

You don't pickup on sarcasm do you? I forgot its LS1TECH, where everyone goes to brush up on English 301 rather than post anything informative. In this case for the delinquents... could care less, aka don't give a shit aka not a concern of mine aka don't fucking care how many body panels its missing when it beat the race cars lol

3 window 01-04-2019 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN (Post 20025496)
You don't pickup on sarcasm do you? I forgot its LS1TECH, where everyone goes to brush up on English 301 rather than post anything informative. In this case for the delinquents... could care less, aka don't give a shit aka not a concern of mine aka don't fucking care how many body panels its missing when it beat the race cars lol

It’s actually COULDN’T care less. If you could care less, that would mean you care to some degree. Which you obviously don’t.

SLOW SEDAN 01-04-2019 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by 3 window (Post 20025507)
It’s actually COULDN’T care less. If you could care less, that would mean you care to some degree. Which you obviously don’t.

Yo webster, look at your own definition lol

“We define could care less and couldn’t care lesson the same page, with the single definition “used to indicate that one is not at all concerned about or interested in something.” We do not put these seemingly disparate idioms on the same page in order to save space, or so that we might cause you pain. We do it because one is simply a variant of the other, and they are used in a synonymous manner.”

3 window 01-04-2019 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN (Post 20025520)

Yo webster, look at your own definition lol

“We define could care less and couldn’t care lesson the same page, with the single definition “used to indicate that one is not at all concerned about or interested in something.” We do not put these seemingly disparate idioms on the same page in order to save space, or so that we might cause you pain. We do it because one is simply a variant of the other, and they are used in a synonymous manner.”

That’s fact that it’s accepted by definition due to misuse by the masses doesn’t make it right. Either one does or one doesn’t. I think we’ve derailed this thread well enough. Single or twin setup? I could care less (feel better SLOW?) they’re all badass to IMO! HAHAHAHA

Game ova 01-04-2019 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN (Post 20025474)

lol obviously he is, people take this stuff way too seriously which makes me laugh.

I can cosign this, but don't forget that I am going to GAPTIZE you here in the spring. :drive:. This car stuff is just fun guys.....quit being so serious.

TrendSetter 01-04-2019 08:20 PM

I like twins because it’s way easier to fit two 3.5” pipes out the back than a single 6”
but for the guy with the mile long full size looking to impress his drinking buddies with a tire fire, a simple single is going to pull it off quite nicely.