LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/)
-   -   Oops! (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1913013-oops.html)

Kfxguy 01-07-2019 09:03 PM

Oops!
 
Was out just playing just now. Well was headed to the gym in the goat. Nailed it about 50mph and the rpms shot up instantly and obliterated the tires. Checked my ebc and for some reason it spiked to 15.6psi. I have it set to 10psi max. And I supposedly had it set to dump the shit out of fuel past the 12psi map pressure. Ummm. None of that worked. Scared the sheet out of me. My cheap wastegate must have stuck?

Now im wanting some 14-15psi in my life. Cuz OMG! I need to get to work now making way for that to happen! Holy crap it was ridiculous. Just thought you guys should know. Lmao.

3 window 01-07-2019 10:13 PM

Cool isnít it!

CasperCasper 01-07-2019 11:51 PM

Sounds fun! What kind of gate is on it? Our setups are actually pretty close! How much power did you make? (sorry to hijack)

Kfxguy 01-08-2019 12:05 AM


Originally Posted by 3 window (Post 20027062)
Cool isnít it!

o yea. But itís gonna make me have to spend a lot more money. Things are holding at 10psi. At 15 psi...no. I will munch the drivetrain. Iím already extremely pleased the Trans has lasted this long. The fellow who built it must know what heís doing;)..because I give it no mercy.

Kfxguy 01-08-2019 12:17 AM


Originally Posted by CasperCasper (Post 20027100)
Sounds fun! What kind of gate is on it? Our setups are actually pretty close! How much power did you make? (sorry to hijack)

to reply to your original post. Iím not gonna say I daily it. I do drive it about every day however. I drive it to the gym mon-Friday which is about 10 minutes from my house. Saturday and Sunday if the weather is nice, Iíll take it wherever I need to go. Or just find a reason to run some errands or ride around. I drive it to work once or twice a week weather permitting. I havenít been for the past week or so because itís been raining and Iím it like 99,3xx miles and I donít want to go over 100k. I know itís going to happen soon but Iím trying to avoid it. Lol. My work is 60 Miles round trip.

Its a speed daddy gate. Itís actually built pretty well but I think the clearances are too tight. I have a spare that I took out the box tonight and itís pretty tight, so thatís what Iím guessing. I can hone the guide and polish the valve stem. And how much power? Well I havenít dynoed it or ran it at the track yet. I plan on going to the track this weekend. It should be around 550-600rear wheel on 10lbs if I had to guess. It made around 400 wheel before the turbo. Maths say it should be about 672 on 10# but I donít think itís that much. Maybe if everything was perfectly optimized but itís not. I figure Iím probably leaving 100hp on the table from optimum fuel, timing and exhaust flow. My down pipe is pretty restricted at the moment. Which will change soon. Very soon.

Game ova 01-08-2019 01:30 AM

May wanna invest in an EBC that has overboost protection. Kinda anxious to see how car gets down at the track.

BCNUL8R 01-08-2019 04:53 AM

Still taking it to the track this weekend?

Kfxguy 01-08-2019 06:43 AM


Originally Posted by Game ova (Post 20027115)
May wanna invest in an EBC that has overboost protection. Kinda anxious to see how car gets down at the track.

my ebc has overboost protection but if the wastegate gets stuck it canít do anything. About it.

Kfxguy 01-08-2019 06:44 AM


Originally Posted by BCNUL8R (Post 20027127)
Still taking it to the track this weekend?

I still plan on it. Iím gonna fix it tonight. Plus I have a spare wastegate.

ddnspider 01-08-2019 07:26 AM

When you say dump the fuel, you mean cut the fuel right? You're safer pulling all timing and cutting fuel above a certain boost then you are dumping a bunch of additional fuel. No fuel, no spark, no boom, no BOOM.

Kfxguy 01-08-2019 08:23 AM


Originally Posted by ddnspider (Post 20027156)
When you say dump the fuel, you mean cut the fuel right? You're safer pulling all timing and cutting fuel above a certain boost then you are dumping a bunch of additional fuel. No fuel, no spark, no boom, no BOOM.

I have not scaled my tune yet so I donít have a way of controlling spark after 7psi.

I added a bunch more fuel figuring it would be safer to be richer than lean and in hopes that it would kill some of the power. Iím not sure how I could do a fuel cut but in my mind wouldnít that be more dangerous? Seems like a lean condition for a split second?

ddnspider 01-08-2019 09:39 AM

No fuel means no combustion so you can't hurt anything. Dumping a bunch of fuel when overboosting is a good way to pop a ringland.

stevieturbo 01-09-2019 04:49 PM


Originally Posted by Game ova (Post 20027115)
May wanna invest in an EBC that has overboost protection. Kinda anxious to see how car gets down at the track.

An EBC cannot offer overboost protection if there is a physical problem with the boost control system itself.

Unless it offers some way to cut fuel/spark safely and totally.

All EBC's that offer an overboost protection....are simply saying they will try and reduce w/g duty if the device sees too much boost. But if a hose is leaking, or the gate seized etc etc....it wont be able to do anything because it is outside of its control.

Kfxguy 01-09-2019 05:53 PM


Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 20027959)
An EBC cannot offer overboost protection if there is a physical problem with the boost control system itself.

Unless it offers some way to cut fuel/spark safely and totally.

All EBC's that offer an overboost protection....are simply saying they will try and reduce w/g duty if the device sees too much boost. But if a hose is leaking, or the gate seized etc etc....it wont be able to do anything because it is outside of its control.


exactly. I thought that would be self explanatory by saying the wastegate got stuck. Took it about last night. Valve was seized in the guide.

CasperCasper 01-09-2019 06:01 PM

Kfxguy does your ECU have no overboost protection?

Kfxguy 01-09-2019 06:03 PM


Originally Posted by CasperCasper (Post 20028003)
Kfxguy does your ECU have no overboost protection?

factory 2004 gto ecm? Not that I know of

CasperCasper 01-09-2019 11:39 PM

Ahh! I always thought hp tuners would let you do something nifty with it


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands