Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Broke EF Turbo LS SC400 Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

As a fellow ocd'er, I cant stop seeing the leaves on the cowl!
the way you separated your wiring harness I like. However, it has me with no peace about how mine is=(
your pipe fitting is incredible! Keep up the good work!
Old 01-27-2019, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice work and a cool project!!
Old 01-28-2019, 12:53 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work and love the OCD-ness...should be CDO btw 😉
In for updates.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
i'm on the fence on a little bandsaw like that or one of the newer drycut cold saws. looks like they're coming down in price to the 300 dollar range
I would love a cold saw! Both have their place for sure. With me having such limited space (and budget) I had to pick one. I went band saw probably mainly due to me having much more experience with them, and I hadn't seen any inexpensive cold saws. I have also considered putting a metal cutting blade on my miter saw for the aluminum. I may still do that since I have heard it is pretty great for that.

Originally Posted by slocaddy
As a fellow ocd'er, I cant stop seeing the leaves on the cowl!
the way you separated your wiring harness I like. However, it has me with no peace about how mine is=(
your pipe fitting is incredible! Keep up the good work!
I know I know. I cleaned them off already! The car is still trashed looking, but I did vacuum those up and clean up most of the areas I am working in.
The wiring kind of snowballed (as things do) but it should make it a bit easier when I make up the final harness. That will be a big project that should start right after the fab work is done.
Thank you! It really just comes down to taking the time to make it as nice as possible. Taking time to make sure the saw is square, lining up cuts as precise as I can etc. Hopefully it pays off when I do the finish welding

Originally Posted by one fast zo6
very nice work and a cool project!!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
Nice work and love the OCD-ness...should be CDO btw 😉
In for updates.
Thank you! I have no idea what CDO is, and google is not helping

No updates this week I cleaned up the garage Saturday morning after doing some more electrical work out there Friday. I have a light over my bench finally!!! But I was busy all day/night Saturday, and Sunday I was lazy and then had to do work work so no garage time. I still need to fix the saw, which I will probably do sometime this week so I can get back to work.

Sean
Old 01-28-2019, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice work man. Looks like it's coming along.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Broke EF
I would love a cold saw! Both have their place for sure. With me having such limited space (and budget) I had to pick one. I went band saw probably mainly due to me having much more experience with them, and I hadn't seen any inexpensive cold saws. I have also considered putting a metal cutting blade on my miter saw for the aluminum. I may still do that since I have heard it is pretty great for that.

yeah for sure even a nice hardwood blade on a miter saw works great for cold side pipes. Just cut slow and use a faceshield ! them ally chips are sharp as all **** and dont come out of your eye with a magnet!

i really am needing to upgrade my portaband/swag table so I'm looking at that bandsaw and one of these jawns here:

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools...4aAhc4EALw_wcB

i have been told by a guy I sub contract for to stay away from the ironton one...allsorts of problems with the transmission (it's a gear reduction style drive)

anyhoo, back to zappin and brappin
Old 01-29-2019, 01:03 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Great work! love the SC chassis. One of my all time favorite cars easy. Sporty, yet drove "Caddy like". Daily drove an NA 2J version I put a turbo on for years. Was a 115 trap car with little to nothing done to the engine at 3500lbs W/ all the creature comforts. Pretty impressive for a "luxury car".

I feel like you shot yourself in the foot a tad with that hotside piping diameter, but it does look great! 2.25" down to 2" even off each manifold would free up alot of space. Good luck, keep us updated!
Old 01-31-2019, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good job. i miss my gte swapped sc
Old 02-04-2019, 02:10 PM
9 Second Club

Its update time! Unfortunately I was pretty busy this weekend so I only got a couple hours out in the garage. The good news is that I did finish the upper intercooler piping. If you remember I damaged my saw at some point so I was getting not square cuts. I have not replaced the stripped bolt yet, but wanted to get something done so I just c-clamped it in place. For some reason I was still not getting very straight cuts. It was in the plain of the blade coming down, so the clamp worked well enough for that axis. Not really sure what was going on, but I was determined to get things done anyway.

The point of that story is to say that I am not 100% thrilled with that upper piece. I am out of the 3" aluminum I am using for the intercooler piping, so to re-do it would mean buying more material. Not so sure I want to do that either, so it may just stay as is until I redo everything

Anyway, on to some pics

That's really about it. Pretty boring I know. I am not quite sure what part I want to tackle next. Whatever it ends up being I hope I get more time to work on it I think this weekend coming up is wide open so I should be able to get something done. THank as always for following along!

Sean
Old 02-04-2019, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Man that looks good! i cannot lie, i wish i could do fab work myself! and im also doing a lst swap into a jap car
Old 02-04-2019, 03:32 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 408GT
Nice work man. Looks like it's coming along.
Thanks! Slowly, but surely getting there (I hope)

Originally Posted by truckdoug
yeah for sure even a nice hardwood blade on a miter saw works great for cold side pipes. Just cut slow and use a faceshield ! them ally chips are sharp as all **** and dont come out of your eye with a magnet!

i really am needing to upgrade my portaband/swag table so I'm looking at that bandsaw and one of these jawns here:

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools...4aAhc4EALw_wcB

i have been told by a guy I sub contract for to stay away from the ironton one...allsorts of problems with the transmission (it's a gear reduction style drive)

anyhoo, back to zappin and brappin
Maybe I will set up my miter saw for doing the exhaust. That is a lot of 4" alumunum to cut, and that may do better on angles than the band saw. I just need more tools, and more space

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Great work! love the SC chassis. One of my all time favorite cars easy. Sporty, yet drove "Caddy like". Daily drove an NA 2J version I put a turbo on for years. Was a 115 trap car with little to nothing done to the engine at 3500lbs W/ all the creature comforts. Pretty impressive for a "luxury car".

I feel like you shot yourself in the foot a tad with that hotside piping diameter, but it does look great! 2.25" down to 2" even off each manifold would free up alot of space. Good luck, keep us updated!
I have always liked the looks of these cars, and they are nice as **** now that I own one. They are also incredibly well put together cars. That can be a bit of a pain in the ***, but its also pretty nice. I didn't need the 2.5" crossover at all. Ive done other with 2.25" and it worked just fine. Not really sure what made me go with 2.5" other than I remember it being perfect for the v-bands on the manifolds. It hasn't really hurt me too much, but there are a couple spots where a smaller radius bend would be nice. I dont want to do a tight radius, but tighter would help. Oh well, too late now

Originally Posted by bigassogre
good job. i miss my gte swapped sc
Nice looking 97+ ya had there! I am still undecided on doing 97+ body stuff or aftermarket like the KBD AC-Style kit. It more or less looks like a 97 with a lip kit molded in. Body work is way far away though, plenty of other work to get done first.

Originally Posted by panda240ss
Man that looks good! i cannot lie, i wish i could do fab work myself! and im also doing a lst swap into a jap car
Thanks! If you want to do fab work yourself, then do fab work yourself! I am almost entirely self taught, and mainly from building the turbo kits on my buddies TA.

Sean
Old 02-04-2019, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Awesome work man. I love the SC's.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love this build. Nice work!
Old 02-06-2019, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Broke EF

Thanks! If you want to do fab work yourself, then do fab work yourself! I am almost entirely self taught, and mainly from building the turbo kits on my buddies TA.

Sean
i am going to have a buddy do the fab work for me. he is getting into fabbing so while not give him a chance to attempt stuff? plus its free! haha. i just gotta get my engine in already!
Old 02-06-2019, 04:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

you should have done a 3" or 3.5" downpipe. would have flowed plenty enough to make good power. And yea i agree on the 2.25 crossover, plus you should have gone back and down, under the engine with the crossover. it will tuck nicely between the engine and trans and have no less ground clearance. having all that exhaust pipe under that hood makes alot of heat trapped in a small space. The under crossover doesnt add additional heat to the engine compartment. enjoying the thread tho!

Last edited by Kfxguy; 02-06-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

My vbands are 2.75 i believe, wont make that much of a difference. and i actually liked how you did your crossover pipe. taking notes lol.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

My vbands are 2.75 i believe, wont make that much of a difference. and i actually liked how you did your crossover pipe. taking notes lol.
thx, sometimes we gotta rebuy stuff because we dont plan well lol. At least i didnt the first go round!
Old 02-06-2019, 06:42 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bluestreak98
Awesome work man. I love the SC's.
Thanks, me too!

Originally Posted by TPIZ92
I love this build. Nice work!
Thanks!

i am going to have a buddy do the fab work for me. he is getting into fabbing so while not give him a chance to attempt stuff? plus its free! haha. i just gotta get my engine in already!
That works too, and is pretty much how I learned. It does help to fabricate with the motor in place

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
you should have done a 3" or 3.5" downpipe. would have flowed plenty enough to make good power. And yea i agree on the 2.25 crossover, plus you should have gone back and down, under the engine with the crossover. it will tuck nicely between the engine and trans and have no less ground clearance. having all that exhaust pipe under that hood makes alot of heat trapped in a small space. The under crossover doesnt add additional heat to the engine compartment. enjoying the thread tho!
uh-huh

I don't think I would run 2.75" hotside, but the v-bands would probably work a little better on the manifolds depending where and how you cut them. Just step it down after and you should be all good.

Sean
Old 02-12-2019, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

yeah i was gonna do a step down. i had those vbands laying around when i was gonna do my own header N.a but then decided to buy swap headers lol and well 3 months down the road engine came out to go on boost. go figure. lol.

im not at the fabbing part yet! i have to order my wg and bov to start. deciding between on3 or VS racing wg and bov. but most likely VS since they offer a 50mm WG.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:15 PM
9 Second Club

Time to bump this up for no real reason

Pics from a couple weeks ago

Before anyone freaks out, I did not get rid of it, just moved it. I will have an update soon with whats going on. In the meantime it has been killing me to not work on it at all.

Sean

Quick Reply: Broke EF Turbo LS SC400 Build