Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Where to locate oxygen(o2) sensors for turbo using Trick Performance manifold?

Old 01-26-2019, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Where to locate oxygen(o2) sensors for turbo using Trick Performance manifold?

Short: title states it.

Manifold here:
https://www.shop.trickperformancepro...o-Manfiold.htm

Longer with engine details:
Stock cranked 5.3L from 2004 Silverado
Forged rods and pistons
Stock heads
cam: https://www.liljohnsmotorsports.com/...ge-ii-cam.html
Holley mid-rise intake
4l80e transmission
Current plan is to use the stock 2004 PCM.

It is installed in an offroad vehicle with some focus on looks(thus the intake).

Since the turbo is mounted on the passenger exhaust manifold and the driver crosses over to the passenger side, where should I be mounting the o2 sensors?
Old 01-27-2019, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For stock o2's, I put one in stock location in the crossover on the drivers side and one in the turbo manifold right before the turbo. For a wideband, I put one about 4-6" past the turbo in the down pipe.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
For stock o2's, I put one in stock location in the crossover on the drivers side and one in the turbo manifold right before the turbo. For a wideband, I put one about 4-6" past the turbo in the down pipe.
wont the pressure and heat kill any 02 if installed pre turbo? I run mine after the turbo in the DP and my WB and no issues with a single pass side turbo setup.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by customblackbird

wont the pressure and heat kill any 02 if installed pre turbo? I run mine after the turbo in the DP and my WB and no issues with a single pass side turbo setup.
No stock o2's are fine preturbo. I built 100's of turbo kits this way. Wideband is always after the turbo though.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Do you have to make any adjustments to the tune especially for the passenger side?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lil'John
Do you have to make any adjustments to the tune especially for the passenger side?
You can't tune bank to bank anyway and the stock o2's are only used in close loop when your cruising anyway. I have no issues with my trucks and they all have been set up this way.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

No stock o2's are fine preturbo. I built 100's of turbo kits this way. Wideband is always after the turbo though.
Hmm interesting, is that because they are NB sensors? I had to run all my 02s after the turbo because my fitech ultimate LS EFI uses a bosch WB02 as the self tuning 02 for the EFI, so I had to put it after the turbo, same reason I put my innovate WB02 after the turbo as well. So my guess would be that any aftermarket EFI that uses non stock style NB 02s would require 02s after the turbo, running stock PCM you can put them pre turbo.

When running a merged turbo system bank to bank fueling is lost and your fuel is controlled globally over the whole engine. You can run dual turbos and get back bank to bank tuning.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts

Mine is exactly like kbracing. works fine. see this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...l#post19942630 and scroll to post 14. then on the other bank, its in the stock location on my crossover.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
Mine is exactly like kbracing. works fine. see this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...l#post19942630 and scroll to post 14. then on the other bank, its in the stock location on my crossover.
Your location of the 02 on the driver log is a bad spot, the 6oclock position is the worst you can do for an 02 sensor as water collects at the lowest point and will kill that 02 in short time.

I guess the issue is you guys run a stock PCM in which case the 02s are not WB02s and thus can be installed pre turbo. I wasn't aware of that but I also don't run the stock PCM. I was putting the info out to the OP that his "plan to use the stock 2004 PCM" if he decides to change the EFI that he needs to be prepared to move 02 sensor placement. That can be rather annoying to preweld bungs and then have to uninstall to put new bungs in afterwards (not to mention ruin any expensive coatings applied). ALOT of the self tuning EFI's use WB02s and thus should not be installed pre turbo. Some that come to mind are Fitech, Holley (dominator, terminator, HP etc), FAST I can assume that the MS3 and micro squirt etc... basically anything that uses a WB02 to self tune should not be used pre turbo. If you guys say he can run a stock 02 pre turbo and hes sure hes sticking that route then hes good... if not well this is just FYI.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:37 AM
Launching!

You can't tune bank to bank anyway and the stock o2's are only used in close loop when your cruising anyway. I have no issues with my trucks and they all have been set up this way.
So are you saying that no special considerations to the tune need to be taken into account because of the passenger side o2 bank getting 'doubled' up?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

So are you saying that no special considerations to the tune need to be taken into account because of the passenger side o2 bank getting 'doubled' up?
Nope, it doesn't care. If your motor is healthy then the emissions coming out of both side will be the same anyway. You can't adjust fuel in the tune bank to bank anyway.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts

Your location of the 02 on the driver log is a bad spot, the 6oclock position is the worst you can do for an 02 sensor as water collects at the lowest point and will kill that 02 in short time.

how do you know? Have you done this yourself? Because
1) it’s collected no water there that I can tell when I’ve removed it a few times
2) it’s been working fine for months
3) it’s at a higher spot in the exhaust system
4) the manifold sits at a slight angle

Old 01-31-2019, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy

how do you know? Have you done this yourself? Because
1) it’s collected no water there that I can tell when I’ve removed it a few times
2) it’s been working fine for months
3) it’s at a higher spot in the exhaust system
4) the manifold sits at a slight angle

I'm going with, because every 02 install instructions I have ever seen from every company I have seen say the exact same thing. That's good enough for me. I'm not going to put it in that position knowing it could cause a failure.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

From the tuning side of things, that is true. One of the O2 sensors will be sampling both banks and your closed loop operation will suffer some. Not ideal by any means.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I just have 1 in my downpipe and both banks are wired to the 1. I figure that's how I tuned the ve table with the wideband so minor adjustments with the nb from there should be fine. I did change my fuel General injector bank select to all 0s, but not sure if it makes a difference on my calibration. The pcm keeps the fueling between 14.5- 15.2. Stft only, I feel like the ltft remembers too much

Search this Thread