8.xxx for 8,xxx budget turbo LS sn95 - success

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 09:51 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

getting there

Old 12-09-2019, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You dynoed 730 I believe, do you think there's anything left in it or do you believe the combo fell short of your expected hp goals? If so what do you think it might be and is there any plans on putting it back on the dyno to find out?

Did you mod the converter feed circuit and or main thrust bearing by chance?

Car looked like hauled *** to that 8.80.

Last edited by jester1; 12-09-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Glad he got in the 8's, he worked hard for it. Congrats
Old 12-10-2019, 08:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

congrats matt. you continue to inspire people and prove everyone else wrong. Great work!
Old 12-10-2019, 08:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

I like how Matt is a smartass to the internet professionals. The things he says are hilarious. The comment where he says UPS stands for United Package Smashers is so correct. I got the biggest laugh out of that. And congrats on the 8!
Old 12-10-2019, 09:22 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Congrats, popped up on my youtube last night. Looks like a little suspension adjustment would drive it deeper into the 8's as well.

I saw leave on 13lbs and 16lbs for the 9.2 pass? How much boost was the 8.8 pass?
Old 12-10-2019, 04:35 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Congrats, popped up on my youtube last night. Looks like a little suspension adjustment would drive it deeper into the 8's as well.

I saw leave on 13lbs and 16lbs for the 9.2 pass? How much boost was the 8.8 pass?
23-24# On the 8.80 pass
Old 12-10-2019, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice work ! what fuel is that on ?
Old 12-11-2019, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 446 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Bosch 210's - $300
viren has them for 544 where have you seen them for 300?
edit: sorry i missed where you said ebay best offer up top
Old 12-11-2019, 12:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Mavn
23-24# On the 8.80 pass
Good stuff, not crazy high at all.

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
viren has them for 544 where have you seen them for 300?
edit: sorry i missed where you said ebay best offer up top
Ya prices are dropping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-BOSCH-OEM...4AAOSwN7panFud
Old 12-11-2019, 02:34 PM

Old 12-11-2019, 02:34 PM

8f8 day, also a struggle but very rewarding.
so A TON happen that day and like i said, i wanted to get video out, thank people who helped first.

then i wanted to do a video explaining the whole day because so many crazy things happen.
figured i would story board it all here and make sure i get it all right, read it over a few times and then do the video and use it as a guideline,
but i had to type so much here i figured i would post the whole events also for people who like to read.

Sunday Dec 8th, judgement day for 8s for 8, almost a joke at this point the 8s theme

so around 7am Mitch brings his truck and trailer up to my house and we load up the car
we set out on a 2~ hour drive to atco for a test and tune day
its supposed to be sunny and clear and 50deg, perfect day to get it done.

we miss a turn or two and take a slightly longer route unintentionally

we get to the track and pull in at like 930 i think, i lose track of time here for a while
because we were trying to start the car to warm it up and prep it and double check again get this
the car wouldn't start, no idea why, but it gave me a huge struggle and finally fired, so warmed it up a while and let it charge battery,
then put it on trans brake and warmed up the oil and trans and tested boost control launch psi fan heat cycled about 3 times figured it was good enough to come off the trailer and drive around and warm up diff.

so we back the thing off the trailer and the front left tire is nearly flat, we drive over and fill up tires and hope its just a slow leak of sorts and continue to warm up diff driving around pits a little.

mark shows up and starts to prep, he is going to be driving for the day since he has an NHRA license, and a 5 layer fire suit etc.

we take a quick look at oil level, coolant, fuel, tire pressures etc.
i jump in the car so Mitch and mark can setup Anti roll bar with driver weight.
we are ready for the first hit.

1st pass of the day 11:47AM

we go over first pass strategy and agree, lets leave on 14ish and run the same the rest of the track.
so, everything is good, mark comes up to the line and tags limiter in all 3 gears in the burnout haha she's lively

stage up, let it go, now, mark didn't wait for full boost, left on IIRC 7psi and it went to a 15psi average after 2 seconds
still getting used to the car, never having driven it before mark tagged the limiter slightly in 1st and 2nd, and once he grabbed third he decided to stay in it
out the back and, no time on the boards... what?

BUT, they had a problem at the starting line before us in the other lane and moved us around, apparently into a No time lane, so,
we had no time on the score board and i was like wtf the internet will never let me close this chapter without a time lol, so mark got the slip.

and we walked back to pits and then he was rolling up super happy and thumbs up.

now at the starting line a bunch of us speculated, Mitch said 9.20, i said low 9 for sure,

mark shows up with the slip and its a 9.21@141, this is incredible, obviously. its a good day, a good start, everything looking great, we know where to go from here.

i check the log and confirm it was the 9lbs, so not enough boost, and 15 average overall
i let mark know he just has to wait for full boost as shes a little girl and hes used to his 427 car.

so we add a tiny but more duty cycle to the boost controller expecting 19~ psi.

2nd pass of the day 1:05PM

mark goes back up and lets it eat, it hangs a crazy high wheelie and he has to pedal it twice to get it to come down, but he sets it down nice, continues on to a 9.08@151
we are like holy ****, if he didn't have to pedal we would have done it on 2nd hit.

so after this we check logs and discuss plan of attack again.

meanwhile every pass we are getting alot of oil in engine bay and windshield, trying to locate it, cant find it, car is running fine, so we just clean it between rounds.

so i jump into log and i go ok mark, 6psi gate, we left on 14 with no timing retard and it was an animal, so, looking at duty cycle on boost controller its at 38, 14psi was too much lets just lower the boost on launch and try again, yep, so since we are at 38% ill cut that in half to like 20, should be half way between 6psi gate and 14psi
slightly raised overall boost amount also to get close to the 20-21psi i know it quits around
should be perfect baseline to go 8.90 and go home. we all agree.

i raised limiter to 7400 at one point also mark kept nicking the 7200 at times *he has bad vision up close*
so lowered launch boost to hopefully 9-10 ish and lined back up, took a while in staging lanes for something, so while we were there i changed the dash
to a much larger tach setup so mark could see it better. also while in the lanes waiting we found the oil leak, there is nothing, absolutely nothing in the lifter valley cover plugging the knock sensor holes. so we have 2 holes the size of the oil fill cap venting under intake, so,
least we know what it is, not much we can do now just keep cleaning it up.

3rd pass of the day 2:00 pm

everything is good, medium boost on launch hopefully 10 lbs and decent power up top same as before is all we need to get it and go home.
mark comes up on the brake a while, long enough for sure, and lets it fly and it turtles out of the hole, **** man, didn't he wait? i thought that was enough...
did we loose a coupler or something else wrong?

car comes into full boost mean and blows down the track clean again and runs a 9.47 @ 149, ok cool didn't blow up but why did it leave slow.
we walk back and im saying to Mitch, did he leave early? we're not sure, datalog will tell.
half way back i go, oh **** maybe boost controller switch wasn't on? i did that on the dyno classically screwing us on the live stream for a while till i remembered

I'm like man i bet we forgot the switch, so get to pits mark is there and jumps on trans brake 1 time, boost seems tame, does it again as we get closer, seems tame again.
i crack door and check switch, yep, its turned on, its for sure on, mark shuts car off and he said, she's just not making the boost...

so we pull log and yes, it has waste gate boost, 6psi...
at this point i am like OHHHHHH FK, i know exactly what happened. this was all my fault.
these 4 port boost controllers usually wont gain any boost at all till 25% and they stop working essentially at 75%.

in my quick, ok brain cut 40 in half for launch goto 20, it didn't click in my head its below working range.

apologies everyone, wipe this thing down, at this point we are running out of time, its now 2 track closes at 4pm
that's OK, quick once over, wipe off, check things, change tune, mark is like **** it, i have the experience, go back to 14psi for launch i know what the car will do
i change the launch duty from 38 that made 14ish psi to 36, i bump a tiny more in up top. this is it, we are ready to go.
its dumb stuff but the car is doing fine and trapping better every pass with every 1psi added, shifts look good, converter looks good, ironed out
ok 4th pass here boys, its 3pm, track closes at 4 lets get this last one in with everything we learned and grab the 8 and go home.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:35 PM

4th pass of the day 3:08 PM
so mark lines up and we all get ready for that 8.
he comes to the line and hits the brake and brings up car on boost and car in left takes off, and i think the competitive nature in him wouldn't let the guy go LOL
so he lets go and the car doesnt even hike wheels, eventually hits boost and takes off to a 9.001 at 153mph

i could tell he didnt wait, and left early, and 9.001 come on now, second 9.0 of the day, but that 153 was serious business.
no big deal, car still picked up, but now its 307pm and we gotta clean up car,
alright check logs, car left on 6psi, yep no problem we just need one more and we got this in the bag, again went 153 out the back, motor still healthy.
im like mark stand on that bitch till you think its good then wait 2 seconds and then let go lol.

he said gimme all the boost ill flip it over or go 8s
we had no suspension limiters and between passes we had adjusted our adjustable shocks but they were not doing anything.

mark said again, just go back to that pedal the wheelie 14psi launch and ill pull 2nd early if it comes up.
you got it bud. he is mostly suited, we start going to starting line, we left early all day to get there before him.
its now 330, track closes at 4, so not many people were in line, we jog up to the start, wait for mark to come rolling down lanes.

mark never makes it to lanes,
i grab my phone and he texted me, battery dead.

seriously.

i took off and yelled to Mitch and others battery dead.

we get to car mark is gloves off, trying to check cables quick, Mitch has cables in his truck,
i say mark give me your car keys ill pull it over mitch will get cables.
i run to marks car, Mitch is scrambling looking in his truck, before i even get in and start marks car
i open the door to Mitche's truck on the other side, and said, you got em?
nope, we cant find em, so run back and ask, mark got guy next to us and he had a extra battery lol!
but we had no cables, i quick said flip it over and touch terminals if we can, he flips it over and it starts pouring battery acid.
seriously this is like a movie
i run to the nearest three people, they have nothing
run to a 4th guy, he has one, but, he has been charging **** with it all day, lol, it says 11.2v... welp buddy thank you i gotta try it.

run back to mustang, hook it up to battery, crank, cranks like ****.
immediately i unplug and run to front, since i have firewall posts that go right to starter and block, only about 2ft instead of the whole car length
i clip and fire pack, tell mark to fire it

it cranks awful but fires, to life, holy FFF its 333pm now, lets fkn go
jumper pack off, i go to run it back and my buddy miles said hell get it to the guy, awesome, mark is tossing helmet on and ready to roll. i said ill get you freeway access to track, they were running the last 10 or so cars in different lanes.

5th pass of the day 3:33 PM
i run up and goto the track official, hey bud, its us again, battery fkn died, so we cant shutoff and restart, there isnt many cars here can we please roll right through and up?

hes like you got it, stops everyone quick mark is coming down lanes, i run up and 10 of us are air traffic control flagging him strait to the track.
he goes strait into the box, i make sure he is lined up quick, he is.

he sits in brake, waits, waits, waits, im like thats it, let it go
boom he comes off the brake, car goes into big wheel stand, past 60, he grabs 2nd in air, strait as a ruler.
car sets down and bounces lightly but totally strait,
atco you can see the 60ft on the clock, one of my favorite things about the track, i see 1.29 obviously rear wheels,
I'm like, get that 2-3 clean, and hold together.

2/3 crisp and clear. through 8th mile, i yell that's it.
it holds together, 8.85 @ 153. finally
looks like no smoke, i wait and see mark turn off,
everything looks good and we head back to pits

Mark is 12/10 excited as expected and he should be lol
he opens trunk and cracks a champagne bottle and sprays it all over car lol.

its done, no more time left, car still running fine.
lets get dinner and go home, without Mitch and i pushing car into my garage
The following 3 users liked this post by denmah:
freeky (01-11-2020), ls1bumblebee (12-12-2019), ryeguy2006a (01-10-2020)
Old 12-11-2019, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice, been wanting to see this happen!! I especially like that the car number was 88
Old 12-11-2019, 06:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Heck yeah. This gives me hope for my $8,000 setup that I’m hoping to get in the 5s with
Old 12-11-2019, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Congrats to the Sloppy Team! Great job and glad you guys saw it through.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome read, congrats and well done!
Old 12-12-2019, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this over on YB last week. Cool writeup and congrats on the numbers !
I've been following the "sloppy builds" since the fairmont days...
Old 12-13-2019, 08:26 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats Matt and team sloppy! When you can do more with less you really do inspire and thats something your crew has certainly achieved many times over. You should run for office and sloppy mechanic the **** out of the budget and eliminate the debt. That would be something to see, and talk about help people too
Old 01-09-2020, 03:46 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by 98CamZ28
Very nice, been wanting to see this happen!! I especially like that the car number was 88
You want smoke in 2020?

Quick Reply: 8.xxx for 8,xxx budget turbo LS sn95 - success