LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/)
-   -   Anyone seen the new Engine Masters with meth? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1919303-anyone-seen-new-engine-masters-meth.html)

LilJayV10 04-29-2019 09:22 AM

Anyone seen the new Engine Masters with meth?

I saw this last week and thought it was interesting. The compared a A2W intercooler vs. Meth injection in a turbo LS motor. I thought the results were pretty interesting.

Basically the meth injection made a lot less power than the A2W and made the same power with no cooler or meth. Their take on it was a LS intake was never designed to flow liquid. The cylinder to cylinder distribution with meth was apparently horrible.

SLOW SEDAN 04-29-2019 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by LilJayV10 (Post 20087722)
I saw this last week and thought it was interesting. The compared a A2W intercooler vs. Meth injection in a turbo LS motor. I thought the results were pretty interesting.

Basically the meth injection made a lot less power than the A2W and made the same power with no cooler or meth. Their take on it was a LS intake was never designed to flow liquid. The cylinder to cylinder distribution with meth was apparently horrible.

What power level are they at? What system and what size nozzles did they run? What tune changes did they make for the meth? Did they run pure meth or a water/mix?

I run a ProMeth direct port system so I don't need to rely on the intake having to flow liquid or have any unequal distribution problems. My engine takes more timing with meth then on pump gas alone and allows more boost to be run without knock.

lemans1 04-29-2019 09:41 AM

made the same power with no cooler or meth. Their take on it was a LS intake was never designed to flow liquid. The cylinder to cylinder distribution with meth was apparently horrible.

Meaning the meth had no effect at all? What setup were they using?

LilJayV10 04-29-2019 09:45 AM

They were using Holley HP EFI. They pulled fuel out of the base table so the AFR was the same on meth and the timing was the same. IIRC they were around 680-700 flywheel.

They were using boost juice. They used a #1 and #6 nozzle.

LilJayV10 04-29-2019 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by lemans1 (Post 20087731)
Meaning the meth had no effect at all? What setup were they using?

The meth did drop the IAT behind the throttle body to about the same as the A2W but it made less power. They were using a Snow kit with dual nozzles in the intake tube in front of the TB

truckdoug 04-29-2019 09:56 AM

yeah well you seen that rambler on sloppy's youtube? 17 degrees on straight pump gas at 15psi

we've been bamboozled boys!

jordoza 04-29-2019 10:03 AM

They went on to test the iat at 1 and 7 cylinder individually and from the air temps iy was obvious all the meth was going to the back cylinders. There was alot to be desired from there test imho. It was really a typical magazine test. More questions then answers.

ddnspider 04-29-2019 11:12 AM

Bad episode and I didn't even watch it! :jest: As said, it was biased and much info was left out. I guess everyone with a wet N2O kit should throw their stuff out too cause the intake can't handle a liquid.

Kfxguy 04-29-2019 11:25 AM

I'm wondering if you watched it? I even took a screen shot of the power differences and it did not make the same with no cooling vs meth.

Air to water cooler 729hp 637.5tq
meth injection 720hp 582 tq
none 650hp 586tq

they were probably using too much meth injection via those two nozzles and was drowning the spark out. a flawed test in my opinion. And compare that the the absolute best scenario air to water cooler with no complex bends in the pipe like you'd have in a vehicle.

It needs to be tested with an air to air cooler and then add the meth to the air to air.

SLOW SEDAN 04-29-2019 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ddnspider (Post 20087786)
Bad episode and I didn't even watch it! :jest: As said, it was biased and much info was left out. I guess everyone with a wet N2O kit should throw their stuff out too cause the intake can't handle a liquid.

lol I was just thinking that technically if its a liquid and not atomized that's part of the problem. Granted I would prefer direct port for nitrous as well.

Originally Posted by Kfxguy (Post 20087794)
I'm wondering if you watched it? I even took a screen shot of the power differences and it did not make the same with no cooling vs meth.

none 650hp 586tq

they were probably using too much meth injection via those two nozzles and was drowning the spark out. a flawed test in my opinion. And compare that the the absolute best scenario air to water cooler with no complex bends in the pipe like you'd have in a vehicle.

It needs to be tested with an air to air cooler and then add the meth to the air to air.

Thanks for actual numbers! I wouldn't think such small nozzles would be drowning the spark, I believe those together is only about 11GPH. But I agree that an air to air with meth is a simple setup that works really well.

ddnspider 04-29-2019 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN (Post 20087804)
lol I was just thinking that technically if its a liquid and not atomized that's part of the problem. Granted I would prefer direct port for nitrous as well.

Troof. Yes the intake manifold doesn't have even distribution.....like many port injected non-carb style cars....but still works just fine when adding meth and wet N2O. I too think A2W isn't a good test.

LilJayV10 04-29-2019 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kfxguy (Post 20087794)

none 650hp 586tq

of course i watched it. that's why i posted about it. no i didn't have the exact numbers wrote down if that's why you asked.

I have very little experience with meth. I made to the post because i know a lot of people use it successfully. I wanted to know if there was any validity to the test or if it was something they were doing wrong.

ddnspider 04-29-2019 12:33 PM

Its working great on my Q50 at the moment. Just windshield washer fluid that is integrated into my tuner that I can adjust boost on the fly with my cell phone. Pretty cool stuff.

Kfxguy 04-29-2019 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by LilJayV10 (Post 20087828)
of course i watched it. that's why i posted about it. no i didn't have the exact numbers wrote down if that's why you asked.

I have very little experience with meth. I made to the post because i know a lot of people use it successfully. I wanted to know if there was any validity to the test or if it was something they were doing wrong.

bruh, honestly I’m disappointed in the test. As detail oriented as us car guys can be, there’s several flaws in this test. I really do feel like the excess water down low was drowning spark. Why else would I be down on so much power until the very end? Because it couldn’t I jest the water efficiently earlier in and then it leveled out up top and almost caught up with the best case scenario air to water.

They shoujd have tried backing down on down on the water injection down low and tried it that way.

And i I asked if you watched it because you had posted that it made the same power without cooling and with meth which is not the case. It lost tq, but gained hp. I’m pretty sure the experienced guys on here will agree that the cause was NOT JUST the poor liquid flow of the manifold but an improper mixture. Besides, if the manifold was that poor on flowing the liquid, why would the hp almost match the air to water? Wouldn’t that limit overall power too? So like I said, my opinion is they were spraying too much down low.

svslow 04-29-2019 02:04 PM

Engine Masters is fun to watch, but I wish they would do more higher HP stuff. A fully build 5.3 only making 700hp at the crank is kinda lame.

truckdoug 04-29-2019 04:55 PM

I've had good results on water meth, but it doesnt mean the conclusion they came to was wrong.

curious how A2W vs meth isnt a good example? charge temp is charge temp whether its from a2a or a2w

this actually the first engine masters in a long ass time I bothered to watch

stevieturbo 04-29-2019 06:54 PM

As said elsewhere, it was a very flawed test. Although RH did say they tried varying amounts of water/meth that wasnt shown, so we can only take his word for that.

But on a lowish boost, low charge temp setup....already running race fuel, so not a chance of the engine being knock limited for water injection to actually perform....well it was an odd test really.

The intake runner temp test however was interesting. But without seeing all 8 runners tested at the same time and held on load for a period to really get a good picture and ensure the TC isnt lagging etc....again, harder to really take the results as valid.

LilJayV10 04-29-2019 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by svslow (Post 20087896)
Engine Masters is fun to watch, but I wish they would do more higher HP stuff. A fully build 5.3 only making 700hp at the crank is kinda lame.

Regardless of what the internet says, not everyone in the world is doing a turbo LS, even though it may seem that way. To have more viewers than just the people on LS tech they have to do what the average guy is doing. Just my .02

LilJayV10 04-29-2019 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kfxguy (Post 20087874)
bruh, honestly I’m disappointed in the test. As detail oriented as us car guys can be, there’s several flaws in this test. I really do feel like the excess water down low was drowning spark. Why else would I be down on so much power until the very end? Because it couldn’t I jest the water efficiently earlier in and then it leveled out up top and almost caught up with the best case scenario air to water.

They shoujd have tried backing down on down on the water injection down low and tried it that way.

And i I asked if you watched it because you had posted that it made the same power without cooling and with meth which is not the case. It lost tq, but gained hp. I’m pretty sure the experienced guys on here will agree that the cause was NOT JUST the poor liquid flow of the manifold but an improper mixture. Besides, if the manifold was that poor on flowing the liquid, why would the hp almost match the air to water? Wouldn’t that limit overall power too? So like I said, my opinion is they were spraying too much down low.

You are correct. It did make considerable less power the last 700rpm of the pull. I posted this from memory this afternoon after watching the show this weekend and apparently my recollection skills aren't that great. :)

Hank Peabody 04-29-2019 08:16 PM

Too much water, it takes very little water to cool the air down enough to where no more water will vaporize and give them what happened. Methanol vaporizes a lot easier (lower air temp) and it takes more of it to cool down the same amount of air as water, so if they tested 100% methanol it probably would have been a great test. Water sucks for injecting unless you use the absolute perfect tiny amount, methanol is a lot more forgiving.

https://i.imgflip.com/2zlcj2.jpg