Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cracked exhaust manifold lead to this......

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Cracked exhaust manifold lead to this......

So probably 5-6 months ago, I ended up cracking the passenger side manifold, then as I was fighting it on the reinstall....I cracked the driver side as well, only in my world does this happen. Decided to pull the motor and v band the driver side manifold where it cracked, I noticed that the intake valves were caked with burned oil....pulled the heads. Cylinder walls look fine, nothing really catches the eye. Any opinions as to what would cause this on ALL 8 holes? I thought maybe guides, but tough to believe that they are ALL bad, same with the rings. Thoughts? Oh, and this is with the car on E85.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

What's your pcv setup look like? Also what does the inside of your charge piping look like. The oil cane from somewhere and I'd be willing to bet it came from the turbo.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
What's your pcv setup look like? Also what does the inside of your charge piping look like. The oil cane from somewhere and I'd be willing to bet it came from the turbo.
Forgot to mention that, theres a very light film in the compressor housing, but doesn't seem to be enough to freak out over. As it is, I'm just venting to atmosphere.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

turbo seal?
Old 04-29-2019, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

But what about the charge pipes? I seriously doubt it's valve seals
Old 04-29-2019, 03:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Any oil in intercooler or charge pipes? I recently had a turbo go bad and it was VERY obvious in the bottom of the intercooler and charge pipes that it was the turbo.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
turbo seal?
Doubt it, looked a lot like it did 3 years ago when I freshened it up, only now the valves seem really caked up. Also changed turbos since... and no smoke out the exhaust that I can see.

But what about the charge pipes? I seriously doubt it's valve seals
Ding ding ding.

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Any oil in intercooler or charge pipes? I recently had a turbo go bad and it was VERY obvious in the bottom of the intercooler and charge pipes that it was the turbo.
Ding ding ding, never thought to check till you guys mentioned it, so I went out and checked..... sure enough, oil in the charge pipe. This is straight off the intercooler exit.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Game ova
Doubt it, looked a lot like it did 3 years ago when I freshened it up, only now the valves seem really caked up. Also changed turbos since... and no smoke out the exhaust that I can see.Ding ding ding.Ding ding ding, never thought to check till you guys mentioned it, so I went out and checked..... sure enough, oil in the charge pipe. This is straight off the intercooler exit.
That's means it's either the turbo or you need a better pcv setup. I went with dual cans, one is under vacuum with engine vacuum but has a check valve for when boost hits, the other pulls vacuum from the turbo inlet. A good pcv will work wonders on a clean running car.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Offly filthy for running E85. What have your plugs looked like.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

That's means it's either the turbo or you need a better pcv setup. I went with dual cans, one is under vacuum with engine vacuum but has a check valve for when boost hits, the other pulls vacuum from the turbo inlet. A good pcv will work wonders on a clean running car.
Yea, till now, i've been resistant to the catch can deal, but it's looking like this motor is going to need one. Doubt it is the turbo, as it's been looking like this through a few different units.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by soloman369
Offly filthy for running E85. What have your plugs looked like.
Fairly clean, just a touch of speckling, which after seeing the pistons tells me it's some baked on oil. No detonation, other than the oil.... the pistons look perfect still.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Yea, till now, i've been resistant to the catch can deal, but it's looking like this motor is going to need one. Doubt it is the turbo, as it's been looking like this through a few different units.
Oil in charge pipe caused by PCV? How much crankcase pressure is required to push that much oil through rings or valve seals into the induction system? How big are your crankcase vents?
Old 04-29-2019, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tblentrprz
Oil in charge pipe caused by PCV? How much crankcase pressure is required to push that much oil through rings or valve seals into the induction system? How big are your crankcase vents?
There are many reasons it pcv can cause this, one is it prevents the turbo from draining because it's pushing against crankcase pressure causing the oil to push past the journal bearings and into the charge pipe.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:50 AM
8 Second Club

There are many reasons it pcv can cause this, one is it prevents the turbo from draining because it's pushing against crankcase pressure causing the oil to push past the journal bearings and into the charge pipe.
If you are already venting to atmosphere a catch can isn't magically going to alleviate any more crankcase pressure then open valve cover vents. I've seen people run a recirculated catch can and keep blowing seals out, the sealed catch can only added crankcase pressure as it has no way to relive it under boost. That said I run a baffled and vented catch can with -12 from valve covers only because I got sick of the valve cover breathers spraying oil mist in the engine bay.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
If you are already venting to atmosphere a catch can isn't magically going to alleviate any more crankcase pressure then open valve cover vents. I've seen people run a recirculated catch can and keep blowing seals out, the sealed catch can only added crankcase pressure as it has no way to relive it under boost.
wrong. I pull vacuum from the turbo inlet while in boost
Old 04-30-2019, 11:08 AM
8 Second Club

wrong. I pull vacuum from the turbo inlet while in boost
Generally helps to post more details then claiming "wrong". Without facts you cant prove you are alleviating more crankcase pressure then open vents.

Assume you aren't running open turbo, so you have a restriction on your turbo so you can suck oil into your engine? Doesn't seem like best case scenario.

How much boost are you running and how much did you decrease crankcase pressure with this setup? What size lines are you using?
Old 04-30-2019, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

I originally had mine just vented with 2 breathers on the valve covers but at the end of a pull I noticed a lot of smoke so I switched I bought 2 catch cans and routed one to turbo and one to intake both with check valves. Not saying vented won't work but my runs clean now with no smoke or anything. I'm not running a ton of boost only 15-22lbs and never less than 12lbs.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

I had to go to like 3/4" heater hose to make my dual catch can set up work. any less than that just a mess. of course it could be something to do with 25 psi on 200k long blocks
Old 04-30-2019, 01:42 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by truckdoug
I had to go to like 3/4" heater hose to make my dual catch can set up work. any less than that just a mess. of course it could be something to do with 25 psi on 200k long blocks
Honestly I haven't seen much change from boosting 20k, 50k, 100k, 200k engines. But I agree 3/4" works well, the guys that run 5/16 or 3/8 line crack me up, like wtf do you think that is doing?

I originally had mine just vented with 2 breathers on the valve covers but at the end of a pull I noticed a lot of smoke so I switched I bought 2 catch cans and routed one to turbo and one to intake both with check valves. Not saying vented won't work but my runs clean now with no smoke or anything. I'm not running a ton of boost only 15-22lbs and never less than 12lbs.
Smoke out of the breather or out the exhaust? Seems like having dual catch cans is a waste if you routed it like the minimouse diagram that combines a check valve with a vented can. I don't normally have anything in front of a turbo to draw suction on, and I don't want to recycle any tainted air back into the engine, so the non vented catch can idea is pretty much a nonstarter for me.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

This I can say for sure, will be adding some type of suction to depressurize the crankcase. My heads/valves are absolutely putrid, the car will probably pick up 1/2 a second and 5mph with a fresh top end..... yes..... the heads look that bad. Being that I'm probably going to replace the springs while I have it apart, as cheap as the ported Katechs are, i may just throw a set of them on.