Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo 4.8 LS Cutlass Cruiser - Non-intercooled on 93 pump.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 06:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 4.8 LS Cutlass Cruiser - Non-intercooled on 93 pump.

Hey everyone, I am new here. I came across this forum while researching non-intercooled pump gas turbo setups. Here's my plan for a slow track toy. I currently do not plan to street this setup except to drive to my local track. I will make changes to go street-able later.

1980 Cutlass Cruiser Wagon
Junkyard 4.8L
Custom Single turbo kit - 76mm China choo choo boi (10-12 psi max )
Stock 411 ECU with tuning
80lb/hr injectors
AEM 340lph in tank pump
92 Astrovan sending unit in stock tank
Aeromotive boost reference regulator
Non-intercooled
DIY Meth/Water Injection in front of TB
200R4 at first them swap to TH400 after grenading
Spooled stock 7.5 until I get an explorer 8.8.

This is a very budget build and I have less than $5,000 in buying the car(currently running with a 260 v8) and all above parts.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?
Old 05-10-2019, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Run an intercooler. Then you won't need to run the water/meth.

You might even save money and won't have to rely on the DIY water/meth system shitting the bed.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So run an intercooler so I can still see higher than desirable IATs? From my research it will be perfectly fine to run non intercooled at those low boost levels. Plus it won't see the street and I only race 1/8 mile. Would meth not be sufficient?
Old 05-11-2019, 05:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

You can do a lot of why not's, lol, but why not step up to a 5.3, their still
cheap and better for a heavy car-unless you have the 4.8 already.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Run the 4.8 buddy if you got it but shoot for 15+ spray small nozzle into the turbo, pre chill the air! Many have done with great results, some have had bad! Just dont spray pre to early or you can/will have issues. Then spray again pre tb. You will make more power with meth and pump and just pump and fmic. My rear mount is in the final stages for my vette. Let put it this way. Meth give great octane and stability also keeps the combustion chambers extreamly happy!!! It will also fight heat in the charge pipe well. I SUGGEST A QUALITY METH KIT WITH A CONTROLER!! I'm using a alky control kit. I can control the pump gain/output, the turn on psi and the ramp speed to full pump output. Julios kits are cheap but many argue the best. Designed for 100% meth and 200 or 250psi pump. I'm going with his 10pgh and 5gph nozzle. 12-14psi stock fresh ls6 and about 700rwhp. And BRET says we can do more or less. Just build a quality fuel sys. If you doing a 4.8 and 500-600rw with pump & meth do a 255 and 60# and meth. I've got 450 80# and 93/meth. Could have used 60# since I'm going with that 15gph of meth and maybe more! Hope I have helped out. Maybe forced fed guy will chime in and he has done it all and I'm sure will support what your doing. But 12# in that strong 4.8 is nothing.

Edit.... just noticed the 80s and 340. Your good. Just run a great meth kit. And send it!!!
Old 05-11-2019, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

I'm actually considering running something like this to keep it simple. The mount location of the turbo is center mount and the turbo will sit sideways in front of the engine. Space will be tight. Thinking of running the pipe straight down then under radiator and straight back up towards hood and straight over/thru rad support into TB.

or in that case just run a A2A that is top/bottom inlet/outlet. The A2W would be much more efficient given the space.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Which I could always run the pipe towards the driver fender they the A2W and back towards the passenger side and turn into TB above the turbo. And never have to go under our in front or into grill/radiator area. Leaving as much if that *** possible for the actual radiator
Old 07-08-2019, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Update:

I have continued to purchase parts in the meantime and have changed some things. Went ahead and purchased a mustang 8.8 with 3.27 gears. Also went ahead and got a A2W intercooler and a piping kit. This will save me a lot of grief when it comes to IATs and running only 93. Instead of the meth injection I will use the pump I bought to pump the water from the A2W into a homemade Cooler Ice box setup that I am making out of the old heater core from the factory heater box which i removed and a very old all metal drink cooler. I will mount that in the trunk so it looks like I am just going on a picnic until I get to the track and dump ice in it. I found that the Wagon has a TH350 on it instead of the 200R or whatever so I got that to use. I got a cheap radiator off ebay that fit perfectly for like $50 also. I also came across a killer deal on Summit for some RaceStars and got a set before they discontinued them. Only cost $341 for all 4 wheels and that's 17s for the front and 15x8 for the rear. I am going to attempt to set the motor in today when I get off, actually in about 10 minutes. Will post pics of everything this evening I hope.

Here are some pictures

Cleaned and painted after Heater box removal

Ching chong twirly boi

Race stars for only $78 each

Before...it ran but YUCK

Fbody pan with -10 bung welded in