Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

So I finally got around to pulling the heads apart......

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default So I finally got around to pulling the heads apart......

Car has been down for what seems like an eternity, for what amounts to a very minor issue (cracked manifolds). Until now, I've had zero interest in the car, figured id get out and turn a wrench or two... namely on the heads. Pulled the valves, and what I'm seeing makes my stomach turn, in fact I'm amazed the car ran what it did at the track. Car may well go high 8s with some new valves, and the crankcase issue fixed, jk.......well.....kinda. it really might do it. These valves are absolutely disgusting.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Car has been down for what seems like an eternity, for what amounts to a very minor issue (cracked manifolds). Until now, I've had zero interest in the car, figured id get out and turn a wrench or two... namely on the heads. Pulled the valves, and what I'm seeing makes my stomach turn, in fact I'm amazed the car ran what it did at the track. Car may well go high 8s with some new valves, and the crankcase issue fixed, jk.......well.....kinda. it really might do it. These valves are absolutely disgusting.
Most junkyard stuff I get looks about like that as do most 100k+ mile LS’s I work on. Sometimes when replacing springs I’ll clean them off but really haven't seen much change one way or the other. I just make sure the valve seats seal and sometimes have to buzz them with some lapping compound.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Most junkyard stuff I get looks about like that as do most 100k+ mile LS’s I work on. Sometimes when replacing springs I’ll clean them off but really haven't seen much change one way or the other. I just make sure the valve seats seal and sometimes have to buzz them with some lapping compound.
I'm lazy, will probably just do all new intake valves. Tough to believe crusted up valves like these, ESPECIALLY on the intake side don't hurt power. Oh, another thing, those who mess around building their own 400s, the little o'rings on the pump bolts..... they are vital for keeping the tranny dry/free of leaks. For the longest time, I had a small leak....couldn't figure out why though, got a sneaky suspicion and pulled the converter..... FOUND IT!! Bottom two bolts, l couldn't find the o'rings when I was putting it together, said "eh, it'll be aight" wrong.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Meth kit to keep those intake valves nice and clean
Old 06-08-2019, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

That's alot of buildup on the backside of the valve is oil getting past the seals/guides?
Old 06-08-2019, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Meth kit to keep those intake valves nice and clean
Nah, just gotta break down and put vacuum on the crankcase.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
That's alot of buildup on the backside of the valve is oil getting past the seals/guides?
Nah, overpressureized crankcase. Rings/seals/valveguides are golden. Oil is getting past the compressor side of the turbo.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Always put the bolts with missing seals on the top, not the bottom, lol.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i forget of you mentioned it, but what kinda pcv and catch can set up are you using?

i ended up running dual cans, one for off boost operation and on for boost and that sucker needed to be like 3/4 hose to relieve the crankcase pressure and quit pushing oil everywhere
Old 06-09-2019, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by truckdoug
i forget of you mentioned it, but what kinda pcv and catch can set up are you using?

i ended up running dual cans, one for off boost operation and on for boost and that sucker needed to be like 3/4 hose to relieve the crankcase pressure and quit pushing oil everywhere
Atmosphere only. Will definitely do things differently upon reinstall. Every runner is caked with oil, may even order some Katechs, can get a complete set of ported heads fairly cheap. Will spend about half that if I just put new springs on my heads.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:27 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Atmosphere only. Will definitely do things differently upon reinstall. Every runner is caked with oil, may even order some Katechs, can get a complete set of ported heads fairly cheap. Will spend about half that if I just put new springs on my heads.
By the time you get new valves, pay shipping, and katech nickels and dimes you for porting you’ll be damn near what some proper TFS heads from summit cost. They solve all your problems, come with new valves, springs, flow plenty and have a thicker deck so its an upgrade either way.

Nah, overpressureized crankcase. Rings/seals/valveguides are golden. Oil is getting past the compressor side of the turbo.
Oil getting into intake is either bad drain or its junk. Just chased this on an old garrett, turbo was leaking into cold side no matter what. I replaced the turbo since I was upgrading anyways and no more problems.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 497 Likes on 384 Posts

Been running a MM PCV can for four years and every time I pull the intake the heads are very clean.