Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ddnspider's- Project Wrong-Way- Rear Mount Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 08:29 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Should be real easy to surpass. No issues.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

I've seen a rear mount vette run 8's in the quarter and a rear mount 88 on a 3rd gen with the 93 -97 LT1 run 7's. No nitrous. Just boost.
Originally Posted by gametech
...The rear mount setups are ok for roll racing, and absolutely nothing else. Even then they are laggy compared to any other option. Most newbies "like I was back then" are just happy with any form of FI. I hate to see you waste effort on such an adventure. Save the rear mount turbos for the Porsche 911 crowd.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
I've seen a rear mount vette run 8's in the quarter and a rear mount 88 on a 3rd gen with the 93 -97 LT1 run 7's. No nitrous. Just boost.
3rd gen LT1 rear mount
I'm definitely not wanting to **** on spider's thread, because he knows what he is doing and why. That being said, what times have you seen people run with vettes and 3rd gens with front mount setups?
Old 06-28-2019, 06:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

To be sure, if absolute power and response is your goal (not to mention a thousand blueprints/templates available on how to do it), then the front mount is the better. But I've always admired people whom have taken a different route, explored alternatives and came up shining.

There seems to be two types of people that would adopt the STS style...
1. At some point in our evolution from neophyte car enthusiasts, we tend to go from pure stock to enhancing the performance by the smallest of increments (cold air induction via air filters, etc), a better shifter and other meager efforts, usually limited by cost and mechanical expertise. An aspect always in consideration is the disruption of factory configuration or even just previous enhancements that a front mount turbo or a supercharger would mandate. The idea of just 'tagging on' a turbo at the rear axle becomes appealing.

When I first heard about the STS kits, I was skeptical because of all the statements about excessive lag, oil pumps and all the piping traversing the cars underside. I even saw a video of an STS equipped Z28 getting beat on a freeway contest by a turbo Neon. That made me grimace. But apparently, there were enough people willing to modify and improve the setup, learning from mistakes, etc to a degree where the configuration absolutely delivered.

2. Alternately, the guys that have the money and background to hear "That won't work" or "That won't perform" and take it as a challenge and so they get the wrenches, welders out.

I'm definitely not wanting to **** on spider's thread, because he knows what he is doing and why. That being said, what times have you seen people run with vettes and 3rd gens with front mount setups?
I think you'll admit, finding out a 3rd gen with stock interior that has A/C, ( I think he said it still had Power steering too) and can be driven on the streets that runs 7 seconds at 18xmph in the quarter running a rear mount turbo is impressive.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

It's all good. Rear mount certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea. I've just been too curious for so many years (decade??) on the concept and a deal came along so I had to try it. The car that @mightyquickz28 linked me to is 1 of the cars I thought of as @GAMEOVA has posted his stuff a few times. There's also a C6 rear mount that's posted on here running either low 8's or high 7's. Definitely not the norm for a rear mount, but proves it can work. I'm not looking to break the interweb with my little ol rear mount setup. But if it does work reasonably well, maybe it'll give other people who think they can't go boosted for xyz reasons another option to do it on the cheap. We shall see. When my stuff doesn't work I have no trouble admitting I was wrong and will post up if it just sucks lol.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
To be sure, if absolute power and response is your goal (not to mention a thousand blueprints/templates available on how to do it), then the front mount is the better. But I've always admired people whom have taken a different route, explored alternatives and came up shining.

There seems to be two types of people that would adopt the STS style...
1. At some point in our evolution from neophyte car enthusiasts, we tend to go from pure stock to enhancing the performance by the smallest of increments (cold air induction via air filters, etc), a better shifter and other meager efforts, usually limited by cost and mechanical expertise. An aspect always in consideration is the disruption of factory configuration or even just previous enhancements that a front mount turbo or a supercharger would mandate. The idea of just 'tagging on' a turbo at the rear axle becomes appealing.

When I first heard about the STS kits, I was skeptical because of all the statements about excessive lag, oil pumps and all the piping traversing the cars underside. I even saw a video of an STS equipped Z28 getting beat on a freeway contest by a turbo Neon. That made me grimace. But apparently, there were enough people willing to modify and improve the setup, learning from mistakes, etc to a degree where the configuration absolutely delivered.

2. Alternately, the guys that have the money and background to hear "That won't work" or "That won't perform" and take it as a challenge and so they get the wrenches, welders out.

I think you'll admit, finding out a 3rd gen with stock interior that has A/C, ( I think he said it still had Power steering too) and can be driven on the streets that runs 7 seconds at 18xmph in the quarter running a rear mount turbo is impressive.
I am #2 .....or at least I hope so!
Old 06-28-2019, 07:41 AM
7 Second Club

Not sure if any of y’all know of the BlackX truck, but I race with him a numerous events a year and he had been very successful with rear mount setup. Scratching at 7s at 3500+ lbs is no joke.

Note: he’s gone to front mount now.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:44 AM
10 Second Club

^"Note:he's gone to front mount now.".........twists the knife in
Old 06-28-2019, 07:48 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
^"Note:he's gone to front mount now.".........twists the knife in
Lol. I’ve only beat him once in 4 attempts and he was on rear mount setup.

No one has raced him on his new setup.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Because @TPIZ92 is busting my chops on not tearing into the car yet, I had to make some progress....

Apparently an old owner felt the need to make me work harder by welding in a massive bar as an SFC...IN THE WRONG PLACE. After about 6 or 8 cutoff wheel discs...it's gone.

When you cut this off.....

You can fit a turbo in it's place!! Looks like I may have to trim the downpipe to get the tailpipe to line up.

FMIC mounted....holy crap this was easy. Factory holes, FMIC has tabs....bolts through tabs and done. Since all the long cold side is supposed to be a mini intercooler, I'm going to leave the bumper support alone and see how the IATs are.

Bit of a bear to get some of the pipes lined up because they all have mounting brackets and holes to mount to factory holes and all cars are slightly different from each other. I will say that the pipe is BEEFY thick wall tubing so it's very solid.

More to come!
Old 06-28-2019, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

Hell yeah man. looks like you're getting somewhere now...
Old 06-28-2019, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks good, and I pray that you plan on wrapping all that. Right??....
Old 06-28-2019, 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc
Hell yeah man. looks like you're getting somewhere now...
Finally lol.

Originally Posted by Game ova
Looks good, and I pray that you plan on wrapping all that. Right??....
100ft of high heat wrap sitting on the floor to do the Y and back to the turbo.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yassssssssssss

Wait did that thing already have an adapter to mount your muffler to the stock over axle pipe? If it did that worked out quite nicely haha
Old 06-29-2019, 05:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
It's all good. Rear mount certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea. I've just been too curious for so many years (decade??) on the concept and a deal came along so I had to try it. The car that @mightyquickz28 linked me to is 1 of the cars I thought of as @GAMEOVA has posted his stuff a few times. There's also a C6 rear mount that's posted on here running either low 8's or high 7's. Definitely not the norm for a rear mount, but proves it can work. I'm not looking to break the interweb with my little ol rear mount setup. But if it does work reasonably well, maybe it'll give other people who think they can't go boosted for xyz reasons another option to do it on the cheap. We shall see. When my stuff doesn't work I have no trouble admitting I was wrong and will post up if it just sucks lol.
Just for a little context, I have a full weight (400lb) GTO that would trap 129mph in the 1/4 on 10#s of boost with the old rear mount on a motor with only pushrods and springs upgraded. It would only do that, however, on a hot lap. With a cold exhaust I was lucky to get 125mph. I post trap speed instead of ET because I never optimized the suspension for a good launch.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I was interested at one time in doing an S10 rear mount, most likely in the bed. The oil return, pump
kind of kept me away from it, but I think there is enough tried and true stuff out there that make it work
now. I would imagine there are some limitations, pushing that length of air up to the front prob causes
some restriction. I thought a smaller turbo would work better than a large one, but maybe I am wrong.
I remember seeing a pick of, I think it was a 63 Tempest, had a butt mount, was all kind of concealed,
was pretty cool.
Be cool to see your progress on this.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Nothing to see here. All piping from the turbo to the TB is done. Front bumper trimmed to fit the intercooler and front bumper is back on. Have to find some bolts for the Wastegate pipe to bumper exit and then all piping is completely finished. That leaves the oiling system, exhaust wrap, and fuel stuff.

Last edited by ddnspider; 06-30-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Old 06-29-2019, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

01z0h, vsr 7875, turbowerx spartan pump -4 to turbo 12" of -10an to pump 6an W/C-Valve 6an to valve cover. 2.5 off stock manifolds ceramic coated to a dual 2.5 in ypipe 3" out. Reduce to 2.5 by mid trans to the t4 flange. Here's the kicker 2" charge to the tb! NO FMIC going to run 2-4 diff nozzles of a mostly meth mix! Car has tr6060 c6z diff. Prob setup for 30gph of meth when all said and done. Should make 700rwhp. Made 619rw with the setup non coated and non wrapped and the cold side going from 2" pipe all the way to the engine bay then upside to 3" and then to a fmic then back to the tb 3". And a MS4 cam, lol. Like blowing thru a straw then putting on a bigger straw and asking to keep pressure. Took a bit to spool but it make power. Then decided this route on this car. Should light really fast!!! Just finishing building fuel system it's almost finished!!

The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (02-08-2024)
Old 06-30-2019, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to see another one started. I went that way years ago and had no issues with it on the LS1, it could boost from a dig - thanks to converter and auto... and it got better than stock mpg.

When I went to twins on an LS3 - things started ramping up - autos burning out so went to manual. Manual plus remote mount = lag.... but that works well for me as I can keep traction in all gears. Biggest upside is for road racing and longer events - you don't have 2 red hot glowing things under your hood, so engine temps are lower. Mine sit where the rear seats were and the intake out of the rain in the trunk under the parcel/speaker tray - works great. If I made any more down low I'll burn out the tires, so it's perfect.... well might add a bit more top end, there's always room for more top end in any ste up lol
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (02-03-2024)

Quick Reply: Ddnspider's- Project Wrong-Way- Rear Mount Turbo Thread