Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ddnspider's- Project Wrong-Way- Rear Mount Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Default Ddnspider's- Project Wrong-Way- Rear Mount Turbo Thread

Before I begin, let's pull an Eminem 8 mile move:
-My turbo and piping will be ripped off the car due to horrible ground clearance.
-My turbo will make zero boost because the turbo is in the wrong place.
-I will smoke screen and oil down every road driven on.
-I will need 6 scavenge pumps and 12 check valves with 47 alarms.
-All of the plumbing will make the car weigh just shy of a Suburban on 38's.
-When the oil lines invariably fail I will destroy my new motor.
-My turbo is too large to spool and too small to make any power.

Now that that's out of the way, I've always been curious about rear mount setups. Some work awesome and some suck. I understand the inherent deficiency with heat retention with the turbo in the back. I also remember the build threads from over a decade ago and the "zombie rear mount saga". The idea of keeping the under hood essentially unchanged and keeping stock fans etc is appealing to me so I'm giving it a shot. I missed out on a local mp112 kit by 2 days and stumbled across a rear mount kit for a fair price that had everything except oiling. Shout out to @TPIZ92 for packaging everything well and shipping it promptly.

I recently rebuilt an LS6 swapped Z28 that I picked up with a trashed motor with help from @WS6store.com and we gapped the rings a bit larger "just in case" even though I tried to resist boosting this car. I couldn't resist and finally gave in lol.

The current setup can be seen here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ws6-store.html

The plan consists of insta spool from a GT67 sts turbo, 38mm STS ultragate, and 50mm BOV from the latest gen STS kit that fixed many issues. I have 100ft of high heat wrap to wrap my y pipe and as much exhaust as I can. I couldn't find stock manifolds and y local to me so well see how it works with the longtubes and y pipe. Get it running and go from there. Planning on around 10 psi from the 11 psi spring I just bought. 4AN feed line from above the oil filter like normal. 6AN return line to the valve cover through a Turbo Werx Spartan pump. It sounded super quiet on YouTube so we'll try it. Check valves in both feed and return lines. Large TRT FMIC from back in the day. I already had 60lb injectors and pumps laying around the garage. LC2 wideband gauge and Dynotune boost gauge.

Car makes low 400whp given the logs and some races I've had. Goal is to add about 100whp and have it drive the same. If it makes more cool. Low goals, just play around and have fun with it. I don't have the build speed of @Mavn so the entire kit won't be running tomorrow lol, but I've got some vacation coming up so hopefully it'll be done within a month. On to some pics!

Sts GT67 turbo with Boost Monkey turbo blanket

Boost and wideband gauges in the dash while keeping AC.

Turbo Werx Spartan pump and a whole lot of vacuum and braided line.

3rd gen STS kit that has dual exhaust. Piping is really beefy.

More pics to come!

Last edited by ddnspider; 03-10-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm in, just because, lol

Your stuff usually turns out working well.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This tpiz guy sounds like a d-bag.

Glad to see it's in good hands Nick. The next box you'll be getting has the nice relay kit I mentioned btw, should work well for powering the pump
Old 06-22-2019, 07:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bad Apache
I'm in, just because, lol

Your stuff usually turns out working well.
Thanks man, should be an adventure.

Originally Posted by TPIZ92
This tpiz guy sounds like a d-bag.

Glad to see it's in good hands Nick. The next box you'll be getting has the nice relay kit I mentioned btw, should work well for powering the pump
he may be a d bag but at least he know how to ship! thanks for throwing in that relay kit. Should come in handy. Just welded an O2 bung in the Y pipe, next to wrap it. Funny part is then basically the hot side is done LMAO.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love the Rabbit approach !
I’m in for curiousity. I applaud anybody who goes against the grain & does something different. Good for you brother !
The following users liked this post:
crw3673 (05-11-2020)
Old 06-22-2019, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NitrOmm
Love the Rabbit approach !
I’m in for curiousity. I applaud anybody who goes against the grain & does something different. Good for you brother !
Ma's spaghetti! Thanks man.
crw3673 (05-11-2020)
Old 06-22-2019, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in. I love the build it and worry about the theories later approach, 90 percent of the time it works out just fine. Years ago I had a rear mount fc rx7 with a 406 sbc and a t56...S400. It was laggy….LOL But, once it was moving....I was coming for ya. Love this build idea.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

in for 60e destruction
AWSSOM (02-29-2020)
Old 06-22-2019, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

Awesome man. I've thought about doing this on future builds because it is actually pretty cool. I also though about putting the turbos on cutouts in the exhaust, as I've also heard of this being done, and that would be pretty cool to have an "on/off" switch on the dash.

All if it comes down to the wife's approval rating of said project though. Currently sitting somewhere between Hitler and the current session of Congress on that though. So... build pics to come, circa 2030, ish.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc
I also though about putting the turbos on cutouts in the exhaust, as I've also heard of this being done, and that would be pretty cool to have an "on/off" switch on the dash.
That's what a wastegate is for, just turn the boost up or off. Usually just up lol.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

Haha thanks all. It's a T56 setup so it's "worst case" lol. I did some test fitting and the turbo is going to be a little low since the car is lowered but I won't know what I'm into until I make the cuts in the exhaust. Gauges are completely done now and functional. Wideband bung is welded, not my best welds, but it's a HUGE improvement after converting the harbour freight welder from AC to DC for 30 bucks lol. Ordered some AN fittings after figuring out the description on the Turbo Werx pump said 6AN is actually 8AN

#DC>AC.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
That's what a wastegate is for, just turn the boost up or off. Usually just up lol.
Yeah, but that's audible and will really annoy folks on the highway, myself included lol. I just like the idea, because it's different. Just like rear mount turbos, again, different. No one goes to car shows to check out all the stock builds... Just saying lol.

Up is the correct direction though. Agreed there haha.
crw3673 (05-11-2020)
Old 06-22-2019, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc
Yeah, but that's audible and will really annoy folks on the highway, myself included lol. I just like the idea, because it's different. Just like rear mount turbos, again, different. No one goes to car shows to check out all the stock builds... Just saying lol.

Up is the correct direction though. Agreed there haha.
I can't hear my wastegate at all. It's a small tube usually 2" so it's extremely quite. Turbo cars are generally pretty quite.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
I can't hear my wastegate at all. It's a small tube usually 2" so it's extremely quite. Turbo cars are generally pretty quite.
I'm going to only run the turbo as my "muffler" to start,well see how loud it is. May end up with a bullet in the I cause I don't want anything in the downpipe/exhaust.

Last edited by ddnspider; 11-21-2022 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

In for pics, cause, well I like pics-my buddy did the fab on a twin rear mount in the bed falcon ranchero,
was pretty cool. Always liked the idea of uncluttered engine bay.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I'm going to only run the turbo as my "muffler" to start,well see how load it is. May end up with a bullet in the I cause I don't want anything in the downpipe/exhaust.
Even the largest cone type exhaust diffuser I could run made almost no difference in noise while simultaneously causing even more lag on my old rear mount sts gto setup. The rear mount setups are ok for roll racing, and absolutely nothing else. Even then they are laggy compared to any other option. Most newbies "like I was back then" are just happy with any form of FI. I hate to see you waste effort on such an adventure. Save the rear mount turbos for the Porsche 911 crowd.
crw3673 (05-11-2020)
Old 06-23-2019, 06:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gametech
Even the largest cone type exhaust diffuser I could run made almost no difference in noise while simultaneously causing even more lag on my old rear mount sts gto setup. The rear mount setups are ok for roll racing, and absolutely nothing else. Even then they are laggy compared to any other option. Most newbies "like I was back then" are just happy with any form of FI. I hate to see you waste effort on such an adventure. Save the rear mount turbos for the Porsche 911 crowd.
That's interesting as I remember several other threads where people added a straight through bullet style in the "I" and said it made a difference.

As far as wasting effort, that's why it's a toy. I'm always curious and can't leave well enough alone. Question though....if the motor is in the back in a Porsche, does it even make it a rear mount turbo???
The following 2 users liked this post by ddnspider:
AINT SKEERED (07-08-2019), crw3673 (05-11-2020)
Old 06-24-2019, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I put a 10AN on the drain Nick fyi.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TPIZ92
I think I put a 10AN on the drain Nick fyi.
Than I have no idea what I ordered because I got a 10AN to 6AN adapter and it doesn't screw on LOL. Are there more than 1 kind of 10AN?
Old 06-24-2019, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I am always in to see how the charge fit is ran. I've thought about doing one on my truck, but there isn't much room for the charge unless I put it outside of the frame rail.

Quick Reply: Ddnspider's- Project Wrong-Way- Rear Mount Turbo Thread