Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

First turbo build, 70 GTO...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 932 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Progress on the GTO has been slow, but it is still moving forward. Also, keeping two project cars moving forward is not the easiest...

That said, I have a small update on the GTO. A while back you might recall seeing pictures of when I had the GTO hood 3d scanned. The idea was to have a digital representation of the hood so that something could be made for the hole. When I was at LS Fest I met a couple of guys from a company called Reversion Raceworks. They specialize in custom 3D printing project, specifically for cars. I emailed them after the show and decided to work with them to design an insert for the hood.

They did the design work and I also had them print a prototype for fitment purposes. The print was done in PLA and as you can see it has thick layers. This was done to keep the print cheap and fast.

The fit is spot on. It is as if it was made just for this hood...LOL

Now that the insert is done, I am thinking a clear acrylic cover would look pretty cool. My business logo can also be engraved on the bottom of the cover, so it would show through, but the top would be smooth.

What do y'all think?

Andrew
Old 11-03-2023, 01:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 534 Likes on 378 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Just make sure they do the finished insert in something better than PLA. ABS would probably be ok, but polycarbonate or nylon would be better. Regardless of what it looks like bare, I would still paint the insert, as all of those plastics eventually degrade with ultraviolet exposure from the sun. The clear cover sounds like it would look great.
The following users liked this post:
Project GatTagO (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 06:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by gametech
Just make sure they do the finished insert in something better than PLA. ABS would probably be ok, but polycarbonate or nylon would be better. Regardless of what it looks like bare, I would still paint the insert, as all of those plastics eventually degrade with ultraviolet exposure from the sun. The clear cover sounds like it would look great.
This part is just a rough print for prototyping purposes. I'm not even sure if I like it.

Andrew
Old 11-03-2023, 10:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 650 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
This part is just a rough print for prototyping purposes. I'm not even sure if I like it.

Andrew
Pla will warp outside in the heat.
Project GatTagO (11-05-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
Pla will warp outside in the heat.
Yes, which is why this is only a prototype part.

Andrew
Old 02-26-2024, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It has been a while since I have made progress on the GTO. Over the weekend I was hanging out with a friend of mine from Chicago and he was busting my ***** about not having done already. He isn't wrong.

The mailman dropped off the new Tick Performance one piece o-ring for their intercooler (they also fit Holley HiRam and LoRam intakes) this morning, so it was the perfect opportunity to do something productive.

The intake lid is on for good now.

Over the winter I also ordered these grommets from SpearTech. I was going to do something fancy, but I think I am going to keep it simple.

Apparently I robbed the silicone coupler and clamps for the Cougar :facepalm:

I was going to do fancy stuff with the harness, but I am going to keep it simple. I really want this thing running and driving before the summer.

Andrew
Pro Stock John (02-27-2024)
Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It seems that this build is destined to drag on for longer than I really wanted it to.

Clearly, I have been neglecting this thread. We have had a busy spring and summer. My wife and I moved to Denton Texas and I have been busy with my tuning business and with the new house. I finally have all of my garage stuff moved down here and the new space will be a lot better than I have ever had. It isn't a 60x40 shop, but it will be comfortable. The GTO has been parked in that space for a while and the Cougar is still in storage locally.

I did not have a car at LS Fest, but that gave me the opportunity to hang out and enjoy time with old friends and make new friends. This is just a portion of the gang that meets up at LS Fest.

This LS Fest I was also working. I was in the TurboLamik booth promoting my remote tuning business as well as talking to people about the ZF8HP transmission swaps using the TurboLamik TCU.

The TurboLamik guys came to visit from Poland and here we are with their US distributor. (from left to right: me, Lukas Lamik, Greg Drozd, Agnes Lamik, David Lamik)

We had two cars there with the ZF8HP swap. They happened to run their best passes for the weekend lined up against each other.

Here is the time slip for that pass. Not bad for true street cars

Needless to say, after having experienced cars with the ZF8HP transmission, there was no way I was keeping the 4L80e in my GTO.

My Alabama buddies scored this big boy 8HP90 and it will be making its way under my GTO this fall.

If anyone is interested in learning about the ZF8HP swap, more details are available here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...sion-swap.html

Or shoot me an email: projectgattago at gmail dot com

Andrew
The following 2 users liked this post by Project GatTagO:
C5_Pete (Yesterday), forcd ind (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Very cool what you are doing. Breaking boundaries and finding ways to make **** happen that no one could have imagined.

Well done.
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by C5_Pete
Very cool what you are doing. Breaking boundaries and finding ways to make **** happen that no one could have imagined.

Well done.
Thanks Pete! It is very satisfying to see a years work come to fruition. After driving the BMW in the video for a little while around town, I knew the GTO deserved this transmission and the TurboLamik controller. Using the 8HP70 would probably been sufficient, but the 8HP90 is longer, which I am hoping will allow me to retain the driveshaft.

Andrew
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,229 Likes on 784 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

It's a cool innovation with the gearing of these transmissions you could run gas-friendly gear out back. I read the first gear in this trans is 5.25 or something.
Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
It's a cool innovation with the gearing of these transmissions you could run gas-friendly gear out back. I read the first gear in this trans is 5.25 or something.
First gear is 4.71. I have 3.25 gears in the rear now, but will probably switch to 2.75 gears, which will put me at 1750RPM at 75 MPH on the highway.

Andrew

Last edited by Project GatTagO; Yesterday at 07:33 PM.
Pro Stock John (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: First turbo build, 70 GTO...