Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Single Turbo LS1 C5?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single Turbo LS1 C5?

I didn't know whether or not this belonged in the Corvette forum, or the Forced Induction forum, so I went this route.

I have a couple pals with LS1 F-Bodies, and have been talking with them about LS1 turbo kits. A name that has come up is STS, and once they explained the layout to me, I've decided it sounds like a really inefficient setup.

I've heard that a lot of people twin turbo their Corvettes. Now, while twin turbos is always nice, the price for buying both of the damn things is a bit much. I'd much rather prefer to go with a single turbo... mainly because I already have one.

Specs: The hot-side is an A/R of .63, while the cold side is only an A/R of .60. It is a Garrett turbo, polished intake housing. This one came from my old 87 GN before I upgraded the turbo... then later sold it, forgetting entirely about this turbo for a couple of months after selling the car. Turbo has only 23,000 miles on it. Good little turbo, no play in the shaft or anything.

I've been hearing that this snail might boost at 1,700 RPM on an LS1... which sounds neat, but also could cause a problem in the traction/drivability department.

My question is simply this: Has anyone ever done, or seen pictures of a single turbo LS1 C5? I intend on having my own kit made, but want to know how exactly it was done/what parts are necessary to have the car run properly.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Suspended Sponsor

Hello,
I would re-think the STS type system, I had a 5.3 in here on my dyno with noting more than the STS kit with the upgraded turbo to make more boost and this thing had max boost below 3000 RPM. I was very impressed with the performance, so much that I am now an aythorised STS dealer and I will have to say they are an exellent performer. This system on the 5.3 made 395WHP and 430+WTQ on an otherwise STOCK truck.

Just my .02
-Bryan
Old 04-12-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Clearance with a Vette may be a problem with the STS system. I know someone who said that they would look into fitting the system on a Vette but I haven't talked to them since. I personally would only put an STS system on a truck...and only if it was the last resort. Now, as far as a big single Vette is concerned, I'm not sure. Now that I think about it all the turbo Vettes I see run twins. Maybe it's due to a lack of room under the hood. I'm sure someone here has one or knows someone with one and hopefully they will chime in.

btw-I think you can buy two smaller turbos that will get you the same power for about the cost of a big single. It seems turbos are priced mainly by size.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:33 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

What are your power goals? I seriously doubt that that turbo will be big enough. This is a stock garrett off of an 87 GN? You figure nearly 100 less cubes and probably less useable revs, means that you will be pushing that turbo REALLY hard. You'll definately be cooking trying to make any amount of boost. What size is the compress inlet? (roughly) On a stock cubed LS1, I wouldn't want to go any smaller than a single 67mm, pref. a single 70 or 74.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Reason I'm thinking this turbo would work is simple: I wouldn't want to push any more than 7-8 psi MAXIMUM. I'm not looking to push sky-high numbers, mainly because I don't want to spend the money to upgrade everything else to support 12-15 psi.

Just wanting something a little more interesting than a stock C5 would normally put out, while still maintaining drivability and fuel economy at part throttle.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:45 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by CanadianC5
Reason I'm thinking this turbo would work is simple: I wouldn't want to push any more than 7-8 psi MAXIMUM. I'm not looking to push sky-high numbers, mainly because I don't want to spend the money to upgrade everything else to support 12-15 psi.

Just wanting something a little more interesting than a stock C5 would normally put out, while still maintaining drivability and fuel economy at part throttle.

I'd still double check the map on it.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Now is where my lack of knowledge will definitely shine on the subject... how do I check the map on the turbo?

It's a stock size turbo, I know the A/Rs for the turbo, but not a lot more about it.

You seem knowledgable on the subject, should I just go twin turbo and quit my whining about having to buy a second one? lol. I'm sure I could get another GN turbo and make a twin setup. Or, sell this one, and buy the correct sizes.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

I've seen many turbo systems on C5 Corvettes and they're a nightmare. It's very easy to understand why they cost so much to purchase and install when you see the kits in the car. I would really take a look at the STS kit. They will be releasing a Corvettes kit very soon. Until the bolt in kit is made you could install a universal kit. There is a post out there somewhere proving how well and efficient the kits are on Corvettes. If I can find it I'll send it to you. I think you will be really surprised at how well the STS works.

Jon
Old 04-22-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your heart is set on a C5 single I would look at either a used Cerra or new RPM kit. I think you'll find that the cost of the single is really not very much less than the twin.

You can get a nice twin kit for under $10,000.

Mark
Old 04-23-2005, 12:34 AM
SSU Moderator

Forget STS. Search the on corvetteforum.com. That turbo is likely too small to show tou much in the upper rpm range.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Launching!

That turbo is way undersized for any real power potential. Although the Vettes are tight there easier to do than the f-body in my opinion. Look to spend about 8K for a custom kit with quality parts. If you can afford the extra money go ball bearing on the turbo also.

Brett

Quick Reply: Single Turbo LS1 C5?