Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Guaging interest in single turbo kit demand for F body...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 06:16 PM
*Suspended Sponsor*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guaging interest in single turbo kit demand for F body...

My shop is in the process of fabricating a twin turbo C5 kit. My newly opened business is focused on custom fabrication and production of turbo kits for various applications. Since I own a hard top C5, the logical choice is to turbo it. I believe that the LS1 engine is a phenomenal platform, that is just begging for boost. I plan on pushing the stock motor as far as I can with twin turbo boost. I don't see why it wouldn't drive like stock and run 9's in a hardtop vette, provided I replace a few driveline parts. We are developing a twin turbo C5 kit that will be rated at 1300 HP and will see full boost on a 346 before 4000 rpm. Our 900 HP twin kit will see full boost around 3000 rpm. I am debating on whether or not I should make a single turbo F body kit. I do not own an F body so it's hard for me to guage interest in this product. Our kits woulld all be stainless steel rather than rust prone mild steel. I have seen too many intercooler and intake pipes with rust in them after just one year of street driving. I am thinking about less than $XXXX for a 1000 HP intercooled F body kit with stainless steel headers and aluminum intercooler pipes. A higher horespower kit would be the difference in price of an upgraded turbocharger. I have had all types of products on my car over the years and there have been many success' and many failures. We have gained a substantial amount of knowledge from the failures as we pushed the envelope like few others. We would like to share our knowledge with you in offering a superior product at affordable cost. I am not impressed with any of the turbo kits currently available for the F body. My goal would be to make a race/street kit that could support up to 1500 HP while retaining tolerable street manners with a smaller turbo/stall converter. Any thoughts? I will keep everyone updated on the progress of the TT C5 kit.

Last edited by smokinHawk; 06-28-2005 at 07:34 PM. Reason: non sponser
Old 06-28-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol i already have a kit but i am definatly interested in reading more about your 59psi supra. LOL that is too ****** funny. GL with teh kit. also if you aint a sponser i wouldnt doubt that this post will be getting the hatchet soon. GL

John
Old 06-28-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Phamspeed had the best approach. Cheap unfinished incomplete setup. The budget system is for alot of the guys on this site who want to fab up some stuff but can't fab up headers and down pipes.

Hotparts (headers(forward or rear) crossover pipe to flange and then down pipe) with your choice of turbo ranging from 2000-3500 depending on what turbo you want.

Build this and they will come.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I think if you could do a 1000hp capable FBody single kit, complete with intercooler, kind of a "install-ready package", for anywhere around $5,000 you'd do extremely well. You mention a turbo upgrade, would the rest of the associated parts be up to the task to take full advantage of the upgraded turbo, meaning would it be as simple as swapping turbos? What size turbo are you thinking as a part of the "base" 1000hp kit? Where would the turbo mount? If you are serious, and are looking at possibly using a car to use as a "guinea pig", I might be interested and I'm local to you (Chicago area), I'm looking at going FI later this year.... Good luck, post pics of your progress if possible.

Shawn
Old 06-28-2005, 06:47 PM
*Suspended Sponsor*

Originally Posted by 99SS-T
also if you aint a sponser i wouldnt doubt that this post will be getting the hatchet soon. GL

John
I am going to be sponsoring the site very shortly regardless. I hope it doesn't get the "hatchet" as I'm not selling a product yet. PSJ and I go way back as well, hell I even offered him a kit for his car at less than cost!!! Isn't it about time PSJ went fast????
Old 06-28-2005, 06:49 PM
*Suspended Sponsor*

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
I think if you could do a 1000hp capable FBody single kit, complete with intercooler, kind of a "install-ready package", for anywhere around $5,000 you'd do extremely well. You mention a turbo upgrade, would the rest of the associated parts be up to the task to take full advantage of the upgraded turbo, meaning would it be as simple as swapping turbos? What size turbo are you thinking as a part of the "base" 1000hp kit? Where would the turbo mount? If you are serious, and are looking at possibly using a car to use as a "guinea pig", I might be interested and I'm local to you (Chicago area), I'm looking at going FI later this year.... Good luck, post pics of your progress if possible.

Shawn
It is hybrid 74 mm. I custom spec every turbo as I feel every application can benefit from some tweaking. Remember, most of the turbo's on the market are designed for the diesel industy. If they were to do all that research and develpment solely to sell to racing industry, they would have all been bankrupt by now.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:52 PM

I'm personally interested in something like the Phamspeed old "budget kit" just something to start with and run on a stock shortblock. Then upgrade later after a forged shortblock.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:53 PM

And for anything over $4K, I would probably just go Procharger.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:59 PM
*Suspended Sponsor*

Originally Posted by davered00ss
And for anything over $4K, I would probably just go Procharger.
Pro Charger is a good choice..rarely hear of unsatisfied customers.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Is a budget kit that we speak of even entertaining to you...?????
Old 06-28-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Heck yeah, hook me up
Old 06-28-2005, 07:26 PM
*Suspended Sponsor*

Originally Posted by redrumss
Is a budget kit that we speak of even entertaining to you...?????
I've heard of guys using truck manifolds to put together kits. I may be interested in something along those lines. Somewhere in the $XXXX to $XXXX price range? 500-600 HP capable would be my guess.

Last edited by smokinHawk; 06-28-2005 at 07:33 PM. Reason: nonsponser
Old 06-28-2005, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

Develop a kit that keeps the a/c and p/s and you'll get some interest. Price is definitely a concern.

Is this the world famous Marko?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

have to keep pricing out untill you become a sponser.
thanks
Old 06-28-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hi-Flow Turbo Inc.
I've heard of guys using truck manifolds to put together kits. I may be interested in something along those lines. Somewhere in the $XXXX to $XXXX price range? 500-600 HP capable would be my guess.
There are some guys making a little more H.p. the 500-600 on stock rear facing mainfolds..
Old 06-28-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope you do stick around and provide some much needed Turbo tech to our forum.
As for what kind of kit to make, I'd think if it was as complete and as trouble free to install(for a FI kit) people would pay what you ask. If the kit is able to support a bigger turbo without having to upsize the wastegate and BOV and DP then you'd have a great kit on your hands. A lot of guys want to keep the a/c so that should be considered. Routing of the crossover pipe and DP is a biggie, I have my crossover going under the kmember as well as the DP. I was able to fix the DP(cut and weld) but the crossover pipe still sits very close and I've smacked it twice now...and my car isn't lowered. So ground clearance should be looked at closely.

Offer a tuner kit for the DIY guys
Offer a stock manifold kit for those guys looking to go turbo but really don't want to dig too far into the engine bay. Stock manifolds have made 1000+ so far if I remember right.
And offer a complete kit, turbo, hot parts, DP to cat back pipe, all brackets for relocations, and fuel upgrades(injectors, dual intank pump set up) with all pipes coated or uncoated as options as well as the bigger turbo upgrade, and a nice instruction book.

J
Old 06-28-2005, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

Is he thinking that 900 hp and 1300 hp will be done on stock bottom ends?
Old 06-28-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Exclamation

I am interested in one. No hacking, keep A/C, IC, price around $4,500-5,500 and offer all the parts as a real kit. (minus fuel system and tuning)

I would offer 2 kits, street and race. The more complete and simpler to install the more you will sell them if you advertise....

Kinda like this one: http://turbotechnologyinc.com/ls1.htm
Old 06-28-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

itd be awsome, do you have a link to your company so we can see what your talking about?

I dont like the idea of under the K member routing, I have a lowered car,and if forcefed has already smacked id bet im going to be hitting all the time
Old 06-28-2005, 08:37 PM
*Suspended Sponsor*

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
Develop a kit that keeps the a/c and p/s and you'll get some interest. Price is definitely a concern.

Is this the world famous Marko?
Am I world famous? I don't know, I hardly ever leave the neighborhood.

Quick Reply: Guaging interest in single turbo kit demand for F body...