LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/)
-   -   How much safer is 5psi compared to 8psi (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/376655-how-much-safer-5psi-compared-8psi.html)

300bhp/ton 09-07-2005 04:42 AM

How much safer is 5psi compared to 8psi

On a relatively stock engine (Lt's, full exhaust, Ls6 intake may be a cam TR224 sort of thing) how much safer would 5psi be over 8psi?

This would be in relation to Procharger blowers.

If you where to only run 5psi with no intention of increasing the boost would a P1 offer any benifits over the D1?

HellRaiser 09-07-2005 04:54 AM

Well its only going to come down to your tune. It doesn't matter if its 5psi or 8psi.

I think the P1 will reach peak boost a little faster BUT no one can get into FI and just run 5psi and be happy. Boost is like a drug, you'll always want more, and 5psi won't even get you high.

If you want a SC I say go with the D1 and the supporting mods for 8psi( you would need the same mods for 5psi anyways) get tuned make around 500rwhp and good luck trying to fight the new drug habit.

EPP 09-07-2005 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by HellRaiser
Well its only going to come down to your tune. It doesn't matter if its 5psi or 8psi.

I think the P1 will reach peak boost a little faster BUT no one can get into FI and just run 5psi and be happy. Boost is like a drug, you'll always want more, and 5psi won't even get you high.

If you want a SC I say go with the D1 and the supporting mods for 8psi( you would need the same mods for 5psi anyways) get tuned make around 500rwhp and good luck trying to fight the new drug habit.

My very thoughts exactly... Plus, I really can't tell if the P-1SC brings boost in any sooner or not. Unless you are absolutely sure that you won't be modding the engine in the future, I would go with the D-1SC. Certainly, 5 psi of boost is less strain on an engine than 8 psi, but with a good tune, your engine will last a very long time at 8 psi. I really can't imagine that anyone would be happy for very long with just 5 psi of boost, speed is very addictive. Bob

SS LeadFoot 09-07-2005 06:44 AM

If you go with the D1Sc I don't think you can run 5lbs I think 8 lbs is the least you can run. I just got mine done and tuned and I put down 560 RWHP with the same mods you are talking about.

EPP 09-07-2005 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by SS LeadFoot
If you go with the D1Sc I don't think you can run 5lbs I think 8 lbs is the least you can run. I just got mine done and tuned and I put down 560 RWHP with the same mods you are talking about.

You can basically run as little boost as you want to with a D-1SC. I was at 7 psi for several years with my D-1SC before bumping it up to 15 psi. Bob

300bhp/ton 09-07-2005 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
My very thoughts exactly... Plus, I really can't tell if the P-1SC brings boost in any sooner or not. Unless you are absolutely sure that you won't be modding the engine in the future, I would go with the D-1SC. Certainly, 5 psi of boost is less strain on an engine than 8 psi, but with a good tune, your engine will last a very long time at 8 psi. I really can't imagine that anyone would be happy for very long with just 5 psi of boost, speed is very addictive. Bob

ummm food for thought....

Cheers.

KraZy 09-07-2005 09:23 AM

I ran 4lbs on my D1 Procharger.

Mike 01WS6 09-07-2005 03:28 PM

The REAL question is: "How much more fun is 8psi compared to 5psi?"

You can stand 8 just fine on a stock LS1. I'm pushing 10psi on my stock block/heads, and beat the shit out of it day in and day out.