Go Back  LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

Buyer BEWARE: Questions to consider when buying a turbo kit (You should read)

Notices
Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Buyer BEWARE: Questions to consider when buying a turbo kit (You should read)

Old 04-18-2007, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

i can answer most questions on the sts kits.

Last edited by frcefed98; 10-09-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some of these pointers would have saved me a lot of time, and money. Very nice sticky, to bad it wasnt a few months ago....
Old 10-09-2007, 06:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
If you are considering the purchase of a custom turbo kit, make sure you have done your research. Here are some points you may want to consider when making a custom turbo kit purchase:

-Is the turbo company reputable, and well regarded in the industry?

-What is their reputation for customer service and communication?

-How long has the turbo company been manufacturing the kit that you want to purchase?

-How are their kits performing?

-Are there any chronic warranty issues to be aware of, ie. cracking exhaust manifolds?

-Does the kit require that you do some fab work to make it fit, or work in your car?

-How long of a wait will you experience if you buy their kit?

-If the turbo company is just starting out, are you comfortable with the prospect of there being delays?

-Are you clear on whether they are shipping the entire kit at once, or sending parts in batches based on (a) when they have been made and (b) whether you have paid for the parts?

-If it's a new player, do you think it makes sense to send a large deposit?

-Do they prefer that you bring them the car so they can install the kit?

-Which payment methods will best protect you if the turbo company in the event that the company does not deliver parts or goes out of business? Be aware if you use a credit card, that some only allow you to dispute the charges for 60 or 90 days.

-Are you making your decision based on price or some other considerations? If making your decision primarily based on price, you might want to think about how the lack of profitability can adversely impact a turbo company's sustainability.

-Will you be receiving a quote, via fax or email?

-Will you be receiving a receipt for the funds you sent?

-Will you be receiving some sort of contract?

In summary, it's up to you to act as an educated consumer when buying a turbo kit.

*I am editing and adding content to this sticky based on feedback from everyone.

**7.12.06 Edit
-In what country is the kit being made?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Willem @ Fuel Injection Concepts View Post
-In what country is the kit being made?
Aussies have a GREAT record when it comes to LS1tech and prefabbed turbo kits.

USA not so much, a whole slew of past sponsors here on tech that were from the USA failed miserably when it came to delivering their "kits" or resolving customer issues.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Teching In

I'm guilty of buying a Cheaper kit because it's going to be cut up anyway for a 2nd gen car. And as mentioned in a prior post and dealing with a company in New Mexico on getting a 02 Z06 back after 1.5 yrs at least I have what I paid for in front of me. just my 02
Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Teching In

this might be a dumb question (ive been looking at some threads for it) have you seen the APS twin turbo for the firebird? I have studied the site it looks professional. they made 500hp with 8psi. im siting here in iraq and im considering buying the system, im just looking for some input, and this site is awsome for it.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Old 01-20-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

So whats the latest sensus (sp?) with APS Twin Turbo's. I have seen a lot for sale lately and have visited the site listed above. Seems to be a good kit but havent heard much in regards to people who've ACTUALLY installed them. Obviously Im going to do some more reading.....but this is a big help and have many things to consider.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

i'm running a aps tt system in a 06 gto,and the build is some of the best i've seen
Old 01-29-2008, 11:40 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dkrowner View Post
i'm running a aps tt system in a 06 gto,and the build is some of the best i've seen
Nice to hear this from an actual owner/customer..............APS has delivered many hundreds of GM twin turbo systems to the US over the last 12 months and the general feedback has been very positive.

Peter
Old 03-09-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just chewed all this post. Nice info.
Just subscribed.
Thanks thanks thanks.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by xturboguyx2001 View Post
i can answer most questions on the sts kits.
What's sts site (www) ?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by xturboguyx2001 View Post
i am an sts power dealer & have gr8 results for my clients! they have first class sevice & support compared to others! no b.s. clogging up the engine bay either. very efficiant stuff bro!
l see you must have canadian dealers, how much does it cost, approx?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will hopefully be stepping up to turbo FI in a month or so. This sticky has provided great info. Thank you very much!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Teching In

I Would Like To Add To The Comments As Someone Who Has Spent A Ton Of Money On Turbo Kits, Dont Know If You Guys Have Heard Of hp Performance Or Go To (turbochargedpower.com) I Have 2 Turbo Charged Cars A 2004 svt Twin Turbo Cobra And A 2002 ss Camaro With A Single Turbo, They Did Both Installs And I Have To Say Even Though It Took 2 Months On The Camaro And About 3 Months On The Cobra They Always Answer The Phone, The Same Guy His Name Is Nathan, I Feel They Are Very Knowledgable And They Have Always Been There For Tech Support On Other Cars I Was Working On So Thought I Would Let You Guys Know About Them Or What I Thought You Should Shop Around Before You Buy But Theses Guys Took Care Of Me.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Launching!

I'm in the market now for a turbo kit for my 99 SS. Thank all of you for your expertise and advise. I'll be sure to apply what i've learned here. Makes me feel great to know that there are not "HATERS" on this message board, rather "BROTHERS" in the muscle car world. Thanks again!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

How many negative feedbacks must a company receive though before they are questioned / banned from LS1tech?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Its a shame when a customer has to go through what you are going thru, I guess the only consolation is that you can still contact him, I and several others had the same with a Turbo company here in San Antonio, Texas (people know who this is) They even came out in Hot Rodding Magazine, well long story short, I never received my full kit, paid them in full and they locked the doors, Funny thing is that they are still building kits or partial kits out of their garage and still ripping off people. and never settled with the ones that already paid them...At least the owner got an *** kicking out of it once I was told, but don't they know that sooner or later one or more angry customer is going to find them and then all hell will break loose! Is there an official list of places not to do business with on this forum?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone have any experience with the hp performance turbo kit for the f-body? Because I know they have a good rep in the mustang world, which is why I ordered a kit from them. But it has been two months like they quoted me. And now they are saying mid September I hope they donít just keep pushing it back. Just today I cancelled the turbo, fuel pump, injector, bov etc because Iíd like to change it up a little. Maybe that will speed it up a little too.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by onebadturbocamaro View Post
I Would Like To Add To The Comments As Someone Who Has Spent A Ton Of Money On Turbo Kits, Dont Know If You Guys Have Heard Of hp Performance Or Go To (turbochargedpower.com) I Have 2 Turbo Charged Cars A 2004 svt Twin Turbo Cobra And A 2002 ss Camaro With A Single Turbo, They Did Both Installs And I Have To Say Even Though It Took 2 Months On The Camaro And About 3 Months On The Cobra They Always Answer The Phone, The Same Guy His Name Is Nathan, I Feel They Are Very Knowledgable And They Have Always Been There For Tech Support On Other Cars I Was Working On So Thought I Would Let You Guys Know About Them Or What I Thought You Should Shop Around Before You Buy But Theses Guys Took Care Of Me.
I orderd a kit from them! All there stuff looks cool and they do always answer the phone! I just hope it doesnt take forever to get all my parts!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buyer BEWARE: Questions to consider when buying a turbo kit (You should read)

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: