Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Dropped my 0-60 time by .4 Sec on the street just from tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Dropped my 0-60 time by .4 Sec on the street just from tuning

Before tuning, avg 0-60 4.2 sec, after tuning avg 0-60 3.8 sec. Nitto drag radials.

My stall is tight and i've been having issues blowing off the tires when I leave on boost. It also wasn't building quite as fast as I would have liked.

I would foot brake the car and it would build boost but it would take about 2-3 seconds of WOT to get 2 psi at 3200 rpms. So knowing that the turbo will spool faster with more heat, I i logged and watched what cells i was in and retarded my timing down to 18 degrees in those load cells at the given rpm. The results were I was now able to leave on the street @ 3psi vs 1-2 at 3200 rpms and it would leave the same as less boost and more timing due to the retarded timing killing the power and causing more heat to spool, then when it would hit the 4000 rpm cells the timing ramped back to normal and the power comes in, but the car is already planted and hooked.

I'm still experimenting with what works best for my car, but this seems to be working better since I had trouble getting better than a 4.2 0-60 before this. I attribute it to being able to leave at the same force as previous, but with 1-2 extra psi of boost which just causes the car to come up on boost faster after the leave vs slowly building. Boost also builds to 4psi in about 2 seconds flat now. The original timing was high 20's in those cells.

I'm going to try it at 10 degrees timing to see if I can get a street leave on 4-5psi.

I'm using logs and my 0-60 times to gage what works best. Need to do a more scientific approach though, this is just comparing last nights logs to some other logs I have.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet keep up the good work!
Old 08-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats awesome, what kind of power #s are you putting down these days?
Old 08-11-2006, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by socalstreetracer
thats awesome, what kind of power #s are you putting down these days?
Not sure, but I was able to pull a evo on the highway that made 550 hp on a mustang dyno and he's probably 300-400lbs lighter. I'm going to dyno on a mustang when it cools off. I can't even use trap speed to gage my HP since it's so dependent on my 60' and I cut great 1.95-2.2 60's since i'm not allowed on a prepped track due to the car not being nhra legal.

But who cares, it's tons of fun to drive