Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Speed Inc. Turbo Project W/pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Inc. Turbo Project W/pics

O YEA ITS A FORD---Just thought you guys would like to see the build. you may have seen the car at the open house.

I left my car in the hands of Speed Inc. obviously I’m not the one building the kit but I did have some input in what I wanted. I wanted was stock ground clearance, good average HP, no coil overs. This is primarily a street driven car with an occasional track visit. I’m shooting for low 700hp range I want quick spool time.

The turbo selection was based off my cubic inches and the fact that the car will remain a six speed. The turbo is a 72mm GTS by Turbonetics. It is a T4 flange, so I always have the option to up the turbo size.

With the request of having stock A arms, no coilovers and stock ground clearance the task in hand began to get more challenging. Speed Inc. has many resources at their fingertips they called PA racing and requested a k-member that would free up some room. Once the K member was in the car, the brainstorming started. Dan (danimal speed Inc tech) knew I did not want to loose A/C or power steering so with that being said he began to design one of the nicest packaged turbo kits I have seen to date.

The design uses the stock cast manifolds. The manifolds connect to crossover tubes that are routed over the K-member on the passenger side and merge in to a T4 flange. FYI, The math was figured out first the area of the two crossover pipes exceeds that of the T4 flange. The Tial waste gate is located just below the turbo and discharges into the down pipe. The down pipe is routed down the driver’s side and also goes over the k-member. The turbo is supported with a steel bracket that bolted to the engine. The cold side was not too bad its all 3” mandrel bent tubing that flows into a huge Bell front mount intercooler. The pre-turbo side is simply a SCT2800 MAF and a k/n filter in the fender with an outerwear. Because the MAF is set up in a draw through just like a stock Cobra we had to install a boost bypass valve that circulates the discharge back into the metered air stream before the turbo. The hot side has been ceramic coated; the cold side has been rattled canned for now. This spring I plan on taking the intake (upper and lower), Alt, TB, and entire cold side and have them coated the color of the turbo dark graphite. The kit came together very smoothly I didn’t have to relocate much other then the power steering color and lines. Once the oil lines were routed and the innovative boost controller installed it was on the rollers.

I have done a lot of research on the required fuel upgrades for these cars. I have concluded that for a high 600hp to low 700hp car all you need is twin ford GT pumps, Modified FPDM, Fuel Wire Upgrade and some 60lb injectors. I was going to go with a return style but then I got it on the dyno with the pumps in and it was fine.

The car ended up with the max timing being 12.5 degrees and A.F in the safe zone. I know 12.5 degrees of timing isn’t much but I didn’t have the down stream IAT sensor in so once that is in I will see about 13.5-14 degrees of peak timing. We had some problems with the car getting traction; due to the way the car was positioned on the rollers and the way we had it strapped down so there is a little hick up in the graph at the point it losses traction. Next time we have it up there we will strap it down different and will not have that issue. These numbers are through a complete 2.5” Borla catback non bullet style.

The nice thing about the set up is it runs drives and sounds like stock. There is still more tuning to do. But in the short amount of time we had last night we got a lot done. Bob will be back in the future but for now this is the power level we are at.

I drove the car all summer at 10-12# of boost most of the time and boy is it fun. I have put a solid 2k miles on the car since the turbo kit. I haven’t been to the track with it yet but I would say it will be a low 11 high 10 sec car as it sits. I’m very impressed with the overall fitment of this kit. I have seen catback systems that don’t fit as nice as this kit does no rattles, no rubbing, nothing.

Last edited by topgun77; 01-24-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that looks awesome, speed INC does killer work.

Keep postin pics/vids if you have em.
J
Old 01-24-2007, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

very nice. clean
Old 01-24-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

****** bad *** man!! **** we don't care its a ford! BTW Fords are like tampons every PUSS has one!! ha ha Just kiddin.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice. Those Cobra motor's can handle alot.We did twins on a 03 with a stock motor and stopped hp at 940rwhp.It was just out of fuel.

Also,did you just sign up on a LS1 site to post Stang pictures?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice looking setup there man! I was on my way to Turbo Land with mine, but lost interest along the way...So Im just doing it to my TA instead.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SICK setup man. I love that blue too
Old 01-24-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

i know you said you just rattle canned the cold side, but what coating did you do to the tubo compressor cover (doesnt look rattle canned) looks good.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Man that looks awesome, speed INC does killer work.

Keep postin pics/vids if you have em.
J
Yeah that they do the techs just have a lot of insight. I am slightly biased I used to work before I left for school. Now I work there when I can ie, summer, spring break, open house.

Originally Posted by Turbo LS1 SS
very nice. clean
Thanks I cleaned the engine bay up alot since the pics. unfortunately I do not have any current pics of that with me at school.

Originally Posted by 52172
****** bad *** man!! **** we don't care its a ford! BTW Fords are like tampons every PUSS has one!! ha ha Just kiddin.
O geeees here we goooo we glad Im excepted by the way I have owned two WS6 Trans Ams a camaro and now the cobra. I tend to change alot dunno...

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Very nice. Those Cobra motor's can handle alot.We did twins on a 03 with a stock motor and stopped hp at 940rwhp.It was just out of fuel.

Also,did you just sign up on a LS1 site to post Stang pictures?
Yeah the car is a perfect donor for a turbo kit. , I had a nother screen name that I dont post under Unless I am at work (speed inc.) I wanted to set a personal account for a while and alway end up just browsing around.

Originally Posted by 6techniques
Nice looking setup there man! I was on my way to Turbo Land with mine, but lost interest along the way...So Im just doing it to my TA instead.
Well it was not cheap nor was it easy but man o man what a ride.... See working at Speed Inc. and going for rides in 1000hp turbo cars really puts the bug in you. suddenly my 400hp cobra just was not cutting it anymore. Plus nothing pulls like a turbo and I have ridden in a ton of n2o and supercharger cars.

[QUOTE=ls1king000]SICK setup man. I love that blue too [/QUOTE

well Sonic Blue is the fastest color you can order a Cobra in just ask anyone...lol
Old 01-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
i know you said you just rattle canned the cold side, but what coating did you do to the tubo compressor cover (doesnt look rattle canned) looks good.
no that is coated by Loko coating on the south side of Chicago they do all of speed incs work. that is the color IM doing the rest of the cold side in and the intake, TB and Alt.

Last edited by topgun77; 01-24-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats one nice *** looking car bro. i love 03-04 cobras with different FI set-ups, especially turbos
Old 01-24-2007, 09:40 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Looks great, is this..... not Pat.... Rob? Going to school in... AZ?
Old 01-24-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice!!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Motorboater

looks awesome!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Look'n good! LoKo does some good work, they did my wheels.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Thanks Guys

PSJ- This is Chris I go to Illinois State University now. Pat has since left Speed Inc. and is working on trains now... Still has the LT1 as far as I know. Rob is still around.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by topgun77

well Sonic Blue is the fastest color you can order a Cobra in just ask anyone...lol
yeah, right behind DSG!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn, and I thought F body engine bays were tight. I guess the saving grace is you can see the whole engine. Looks good.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

Damn Chris, thats a nice *** setup. I talked to you a few times at speed, I was wondering what happened to ya. I'm Lou, the guy that has the house in Wisconsin right by you. I'm putting a supercharger on my TA right now, won't be near as nice as that turbo setup you got there but should run pretty good. I hope to have it done in the spring. Are you going to be back at speed inc this summer? If so I'll see ya then. Good luck with the Cobra.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:25 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Hey Chris it's looks nice!!! How is it on these cold streets? I can't wait to see it in person.

Andy

Quick Reply: Speed Inc. Turbo Project W/pics