Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

900RWHP on pump gas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal
I believe meth can be used to push quite alot of power, more than for what many use it... But it sucks to push high timing and boost and have it fail... But if you're in the racing scene, you do what it takes to get the E.T. and worry about problems IF they happen... But on a street car, I wouldn't use meth in this way, IMO.

If it is tuned on the meth why would it fail? Are you reffering to the meth injection failing? Snow Performances kit (the one I will be using) has a failsafe that if it senses that if the correct amount of meth isn't being injected as you have been tuned for, it bleeds off your boost, leaving your car pretty much safe.

If your Turbo car is tuned with meth for 15#'s and you decide to run it up to 25#'s you are asking your car to grenade on you anyway (duh). Superchargers aren't really easy to change the boost on the fly since you would have to change out the pulleys and belts. Personally, I think methanol injection is perfect for street FI cars.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If you use too much boost on race fuel, that it detonates, do you still blame the fuel ??
Exactly... You're better at making this point than I am.

CALL911: I'm just going by a "fear" that seems to plague some people... I have the Snow performance stage two, but it is not running yet... I don't plan on relying on it for tuning/power that much, but I just wondered how some people here would feel about using it to push boost/timing/power to the max... It will help me decide what to do with it for a pump gas only streetcar. I feel they're pretty safe myself for a high hp pump gas tune car on the street.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

I see no reason why it cant be done. Just very few here choose to take that route, as race gas is so cheap etc.

This is the quote I was refferencing. You seem to be saying meth is more expensive than race gas, and that is why very few choose to go with it.

After which you made clarification that race gas is way more expensive. Sounds like you were contradicting yourself. Correct me if I misunderstood.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Exactly... You're better at making this point than I am.

CALL911: I'm just going by a "fear" that seems to plague some people... I have the Snow performance stage two, but it is not running yet... I don't plan on relying on it for tuning/power that much, but I just wondered how some people here would feel about using it to push boost/timiing/power to the max... It will help me decide what to do with for a pump gas only streetcar.

It is ideal for exactly that. The whole purpose behind meth is that you can run more boost and timing safely which makes more power. It is up to your tune on how safe they make it. But that is no different than a FI tune without meth for that matter. It is again up to your tune on how safe you are.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
This is the quote I was refferencing. You seem to be saying meth is more expensive than race gas, and that is why very few choose to go with it.

After which you made clarification that race gas is way more expensive. Sounds like you were contradicting yourself. Correct me if I misunderstood.

I said I see no reason why that power cant be made on pump fuel alone. Meth didnt come into my statement.

Its just very few choose to try.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

I said I see no reason why that power cant be made on pump fuel alone. Meth didnt come into my statement.

Gotcha. Sorry for the cunfusement.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

man there are a lot of drug addicts in here
Old 02-25-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

^ With no rehabilation to be had here... In fact, we're just recruiting more!
Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

aren't you knocking on the 900bhp door steve????

and dont you do it on pump???

Chris.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Two points of interest and they are this -

1) With the proper displacement, combination and turbo or blower yes you can make the power you are looking for on pump gas without issue.

2) The information regarding the use of alchy injection and pump gas is not correct in the regards that one cannot make large power gains by using it in conjunction with pump gas. As a matter of fact that is exactly what you can do as we the GN crowd have been doing so for many years. I have seen several stage cars run in the 9's with pump gas and alchy injection. As a matter of fact a guy that I know has pushed his daughters GN to 10.10@132 with a stock block, stock ported heads (Obviously larger tubo and the like.)and alcohol. Here is the link before you go trying to raise a bullsh*t flag. I have also seen several Mustangs lay down crazy numbers with pump gas and alcohol (800+ at the wheels.). If you don't believe me then check with Anderson Ford Motorsports and tell him that he is full of sh*t. Facts are facts and some of the ones posted here regarding what is possible and what is not are not entirely correct.

Jim C.

Last edited by Big Geek; 02-26-2007 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i made 906 to the tires 'safely' on pump gas and meth, and then melted 4 pistons within 3 passes at the track
Old 02-26-2007, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i made 906 to the tires 'safely' on pump gas and meth, and then melted 4 pistons within 3 passes at the track
906 on pump gas guessing this was a dyno jet? I wouldent trust a dyno jet to tune "safley" for 900hp on pump gas for the street load bearing is a must in my opinion when things are that close to the limit. Of corse im not the one driving around in a 1000 hp car so what do i know.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i appreciate the input, but that is an entirely separate topic i would be happy to argue about in another thread
Old 02-26-2007, 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

I'm sure lots of folks could hit 900rwhp with a big block LSx, low compression, A2W with ice, and big twins going thru a T56 trans. You won't find many folks who actually make that kind of power taking a chance at the track or when they beat on their cars. A guy on page 2 of this thread referenced that guy's car in AZ.... well look at his other thread, that guy has engine problems.

I think 700rwhp is probably as safe as it can get for most folks on pump gas, and even then you'd need to keep an eye on stuff.

And making big power and running a heavy car puts a ton of load on that setup, runs a lot hotter on the street with 2-3 guys in the car and 100 lbs of subs in the back.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pump gas ......... u wont see me trying big #'s on it..... i always mix in some 110 for the track or dyno on my pump gas setting..... its not worth it...... i was still stating this point a long time before Mightey Mouse grenaded his motor..... he now agree's with me..... lets see $50 in fuel VS $5K Motor....

Oh and on the detinating on race fuel statement..... its all in the tuning.... turning it upo slowly adding more fuel and timing.... taking the combo higher safley...

Kyle
Kyle
Old 02-26-2007, 11:24 AM
7 Second Club

Received 321 Likes on 216 Posts

I always say race gas is a lot cheaper than a motor. Pump gas is pretty volatile and is different from station to station. I won't risk my motor by cranking it up with pump gas, mine stays at 10 psi and conservative timing with pump gas.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DJ's99ss made 880 rwhp through a slippiing clutch. I seen him beat on that car with pump gas in it. Car was tuned on a mustang dyno and on the street. Made 780+ on the mustang, same clutch problems.

I do agree though, race gas is cheap ins.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

If you are pushing 700+ RWHP, I also agree to play it safe and go with the race gas. However I believe that if you are between 500-700 RWHP, you can run it safely with a methanol injection setup and a good safe tune. Just my .02 cents.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Bottom line is.

If you tune it wrong on any gas, it will go bang.

I just say dont blame the fuel when it does. Its not the fuels fault.

I really dont know what sort of power my car currently makes either on pump, or with some meth. And to be honest, I dont really care. As long as my car performs on the road and at the strip, dyno no's are really unimportant.

As soon as I get to a proper track...I hope to see those 9's and 150+ traps, and yes, I will be trying it on pump fuel too if I get a chance.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i appreciate the input, but that is an entirely separate topic i would be happy to argue about in another thread
The statment was not ment to start an argument with a guy who obviously knows what he is doing

I was trying to say that when pushing a car to 900rwhp on pump gas your gunna have to do every thing right even the smallest things can end up in blown motors when you get it on the street. The dyno and the track are 2 different things if you gunna push a car on pump gas screw the rwhp your numbers light up at the end of the track.

Supras can make 1000hp on pump gas all they want and i will still laugh when they only pull 11sec 1/4 miles and a guy with 600 hp smokes there ***.

Quick Reply: 900RWHP on pump gas?