Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing $5495 inc free delvery

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking nice, I think you guys are doing a great job with this system and the price is also excellent. (Or maybe I just like it because it looks like mine )

And FWIW I don't expect the life of my fabricated manifolds to be indefinite, but I have found that 16ga mild steel, having lower thermal expansion and greater ductility than stainless steel has very good reliability when ceramic coated and properly braced. (so as the tubing does not support the weight of the turbocharger).
Old 03-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim great minds think a like......lol
Old 03-28-2007, 11:18 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Looking nice, I think you guys are doing a great job with this system and the price is also excellent. (Or maybe I just like it because it looks like mine )
Thanks for those generous words and I'm very positive that the F biody twin turbo system wil be a big success in the US market.

And FWIW I don't expect the life of my fabricated manifolds to be indefinite, but I have found that 16ga mild steel, having lower thermal expansion and greater ductility than stainless steel has very good reliability when ceramic coated and properly braced. (so as the tubing does not support the weight of the turbocharger).
I've never seen any 16 gauge mild steel manifold live for any length of time or miles - I guess this all depends on what's one perspective is of reasonable exhaust manifold life. I know that our engineering group would never specify mild steel tubing for a turbo exhaust manifold, at minimum our spec would be 1/8 th thick 713 C inconel tubing and even this spec material has a limited service life for a twin turbo application. In any event, good luck with your project.

Peter

Last edited by peter@aps; 03-28-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by peter@aps
Thanks for those generous words and I'm very positive that the F biody twin turbo system wil be a big success in the US market.
You're welcome. Based on the quality of your GTO system we have here at the shop I'm certain we will be selling/installing your f-body system as well.

I've never seen any 16 gauge mild steel manifold live for any length of time or miles - I guess this all depends on what's one perspective is of reasonable exhaust manifold life. I know that our engineering group would never specify mild steel tubing for a turbo exhaust manifold, at minimum our spec would be 1/8 th thick 713 C inconel tubing and even this spec material has a limited service life for a twin turbo application. In any event, good luck with your project.

Peter
Thanks. And we have built many turbo systems with ceramic coated mild steel manifolds that have been in service for years with thousands of street miles and hundreds of passes at the track. I do agree that cast iron is the most durable material for a turbo manifold, but I also think that most people have a more than limited service life with fabricated tubular manifolds. (even the ones -not- built with 1/8 thick 713 C inconel tubing).

-Jim
Old 03-29-2007, 01:29 AM
FormerVendor

You're welcome. Based on the quality of your GTO system we have here at the shop I'm certain we will be selling/installing your f-body system as well.
Awesome to hear this and thanks for those kind words, greatly appreciated.

Thanks. And we have built many turbo systems with ceramic coated mild steel manifolds that have been in service for years with thousands of street miles and hundreds of passes at the track.
My apologies if my comment on mild steel manifolds offended you, that was not my intention. I've only ever seen drama from mild steel manifolds over the last 30 years or so and very few mild steel manifolds last for many thousands of miles. If you've seen differently I cetainly respect your opinion.

I do agree that cast iron is the most durable material for a turbo manifold, but I also think that most people have a more than limited service life with fabricated tubular manifolds. (even the ones -not- built with 1/8 thick 713 C inconel tubing).
I agree, a 6 mm thick cast Ni Resist iron spec exhaust manifold is the most durable turbo manifold and is what virtaully all OEM manufactures specify for turbo applications.....that said, I can fully understand why low volume manufacturers in the after market utilise fabricated steel manifolds as the tooling to cast high quality turbo manifolds is very, very, expensive. Again my apologies if I offended you in any way.

Peter
Old 03-29-2007, 01:34 AM
FormerVendor

Peter, no apology necessary. I'm in no way offended, just stating my opinion and experiences.

-Jim
Old 03-29-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

Peter, no apology necessary. I'm in no way offended, just stating my opinion and experiences.

-Jim
Friends...YAY!!!

Always a good thing when vendors get along. Especially one as highly regarded as Speed Inc

On the other hand, INTMD8 is cracking me up on the other Aussie thread
Old 03-29-2007, 07:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Wonderbread
Def. looking good, cant wait to see some kits first hand
You won't have to wait too long as I intend to have many pics of the F body twin turbo system on the APS web site by the end of April.

Peter
Old 03-29-2007, 08:19 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter, if the quality of this kit is as good as it is on your GTO kit, you will certainly have a hit on your hands! Bob
Old 03-29-2007, 09:40 PM
FormerVendor

double post, sorry guys.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:41 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Peter, if the quality of this kit is as good as it is on your GTO kit, you will certainly have a hit on your hands! Bob
Thanks for your kind words Bob and I'm confident that the APS F body twin turbo system will be equal quality to that of the GTO twin turbo system or even better if that technically possible, that's certainly our intention.

Peter
Old 03-29-2007, 09:46 PM
FormerVendor

Guys, A quick pic of the right hand side turbo exhaust manifold, enjoy! The APS F body twin turbo system is starting to take great shape now that the heart of the system (turbo exhaust manifold design) is completed and I hope to have some models/pictures of the intercooler end tanks in approximately 5 days time.

Peter

Old 03-29-2007, 10:52 PM
FormerVendor

Will the air and egr bosses come drilled and tapped or left blank so they can be milled off (hint hint)
Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 PM
FormerVendor

Will the air and egr bosses come drilled and tapped or left blank so they can be milled off (hint hint)
They exhaust manifold castings will be drilled and tapped though you can easily blank these ports off if you want.

Peter
Old 03-30-2007, 01:39 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Wonderbread
Def. looking good, cant wait to see some kits first hand
Great to hear this...............some more pics of the turbo exhaust manifold,enjoy!

Peter

Old 03-30-2007, 02:06 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by onfire
.......with the engine in the car.
I did the Incon that way so i bet this will too......with a BMR kmember
Old 03-30-2007, 07:02 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by cablebandit
I did the Incon that way so i bet this will too......with a BMR kmember

My Incon slipped in in one piece also....

Didn't have a T3 though...

Old 03-30-2007, 07:22 AM
9 Second Club

true dat. I forget you already tried to fit a t3 yourself
Old 03-30-2007, 11:05 AM
FormerVendor

The turbo bolts directly to the flange that you see in the picture.............this way the turbos are above oil pan level and the turbos don't require the extra complexity of a scavenge pump to return the turbo lubricating oil to the engine.

Peter
Just like these:
Old 03-30-2007, 11:12 AM
9 Second Club

Those are nice. When did those become available?

Quick Reply: F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing $5495 inc free delvery