Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing $5495 inc free delvery

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hooker Y-pipe is inexpensive and readily available, albeit a poorly joined Y. It's basically one pipe welded into the side of the other without even matching the hole size. But, since I already solved that problem, I like hearing I can just slip it on and
Old 04-18-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Umm no offence but really they should make the system with ypipe that hooks up to the factory catback. Wondering what company can get a quality stainless ypipe from that will bolt right up.Don't want to do any fabbing on this and want stainless ypipe not coated muffler shop piece of crap.At worst aps should offer it for extra cash.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Personally I don't see the issue with them not including a Y pipe especially when the Hooker piece is so readily available. There's no fabbing needed if it fits that Y, you just slip it in and drive. That takes of the "I don't want to touch it" folks completely. Those who want something better than a 2-into-1 arrangement aren't buying something they won't use, which I really like. Seems like it's a good decision on their part. Would it make you feel better if they sold the Hooker piece to you and drop shipped it?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

aps should buy and stock the hooker y pipe that will make this kit connect, and offer it in addition to the turbo kit purcases to customers who want it. it is that easy... or just make one themselves.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again I have a stainless catback system so would like option to get stainless ypipe even if its optional for aps. The hooker I think can be jet hot coated and wonder if some other ones would likely fit. Its not the end of the world guys and won't stop me from getting the kit. So far there are serveral things I like about the kit and a few I don't. I like the fact that the are not using scavenge pump for oil. Hate those things.I am not crazy about the fact that there are not some different turbo choices and that they look like they will use a non standard flange setup so would require adapter maybe if wanted to go with different turbos. But I am pretty pleased in the rated power output anything that can do around 1000 engine hp is plenty enough for my street car. I am not fond of having water cooling on the turbos either but BB turbos and most mits turbos do use water cooling. Again won't stop me from buying the kit. Right now would take an act of god to stop me from buying the kit..LOL
Old 04-18-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
aps should buy and stock the hooker y pipe that will make this kit connect, and offer it in addition to the turbo kit purcases to customers who want it. it is that easy... or just make one themselves.
I dont think that would make much sense, is'nt hooker here in the states and aps in ausie? I dont think it would pay to have it shipped to aps then back across the water to us here when we could just order it someplace local.

also as far as the stainless y it might be cheaper for the same reasons. I dont know how much it would cost to have one made or if theres one available but it just might make more sense $ wise.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

well then if i was trying to make the best turbo sytem out there, i would make and send my own connection to the i pipe. no one should have to go anywhere else to buy anything necessary to do a complete mechanical install of the system. i would say it is MORE important than including a fuel pump. thats a separate system and they can be had here in the states too. follow?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the incons were watercooled and had a scavenge pump...i actually liked the water cooled part....helps with oil temps after its shutdown. Scavenge pump never failed so i guess i didnt mind that either
Old 04-18-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

MIGHTYMOUSE I am not trying to start a fight or argue with you. You should knjowthis stuff a lot better than me. But from what I read they tell you what parts to use and they were at least nice enough to design it for a part thats already available. I dont know a lot about turbos and I am not sure how the exhaust hooks on to the turbo unless its like the exhause on a turbo on a 6.6 duramax. If thats the case how hard would it be to bend up a tube for each one to match up with the Y pipe of your choice?

I understand you would like them to make it for the one you want, but if they did someone else would want it another way. I guess you cant please all the people all the time.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

i agree you can't please everyone, but you should at least have an option for this 'complete' system to actually be 'complete'

you have to go really far down in the ranks of fi suppliers before you get to a company that has in fine print 'oh by the way you are on your own to get the exhaust hooked up'
Old 04-18-2007, 05:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i agree you can't please everyone, but you should at least have an option for this 'complete' system to actually be 'complete'

you have to go really far down in the ranks of fi suppliers before you get to a company that has in fine print 'oh by the way you are on your own to get the exhaust hooked up'
The twin turbo system will be 100% complete though we are not supplying an exhaust system or a fuel system in the twin turbo system as the freight cost to include an exhaust system would be prohibitive.

Peter
Old 04-18-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by peter@aps
The twin turbo system will be 100% complete though we are not supplying an exhaust system or a fuel system in the twin turbo system as the freight cost to include an exhaust system would be prohibitive.

Peter
I'm on with MightyMouse, it is like putting a Tiffany's wedding ring on a fat chick (Hooker Y = fat chick)

Since I won't put that POS on my car, I have to have something custom made. Finding a shop that is reputable and will really take the time to design a Y that fits without taking a beating because it hangs too low will be really difficult. We all know that the guys with long tubes take it in the *** with poorly designed Y pipes. Hell my $550 aluminized QTP Y pipe gets an *** raping over a ton of bumps even after I brought it to a very reputable muffler shop to realign.

I guarantee if you design a polished SS Y pipe that tucks up nicely, 95% of your buyers will opt to purchase it in the package. Also I don't see how an extra 10-15lbs and 3 pipes will dramatically affect the price of shipping.

We're not asking for mufflers and long over the axle and intermediate pipes, just something like what the GTO guys are getting except it merges into 1 and connects to the stock exhaust.

A really slick thing would to also allow for interchangable cats

Also looks like the C5 guys are getting it too

quoted from APS site
"For vehicles that are required to run catalytic converters, high flow cats can be installed into the twin 3" stainless steel exhaust pipes supplied with the APS twin turbo system as shown above. Note: cats not supplied."
Old 04-18-2007, 06:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
I guarantee if you design a polished SS Y pipe that tucks up nicely, 95% of your buyers will opt to purchase it in the package. Also I don't see how an extra 10-15lbs and 3 pipes will dramatically affect the price of shipping.
I'd like to tell you that APS will design and produce a Y pipe though APS has no plans for that part as there are many Y pipes and exhaust systems available in the US market. I'd much rather see APS spend valuable engineering time on a large fuel system for the F body.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 04-18-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

I'd like to tell you that APS will design and produce a Y pipe though APS has no plans for that part as there are many Y pipes and exhaust systems available in the US market. I'd much rather see APS spend valuable engineering time on a large fuel system for the F body.

Thanks,

Peter
Not really, we have plenty of shops that offer a wide range of fuel packages. Speed Inc and Nasty Nate come to mind. Especially Nasty who pretty much specializes in it at very good prices. There is nothing custom about it, here are the parts, put them on.

The only Y pipe exhuast system that will work with your setup is Hooker, as well as QTP, and Kooks since they are basically the same header design. But as we have all said, they suck.

But it is your business, i'm just making a recommendation
Old 04-18-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks,

Peter
To continue further, do the C5 and Goat people not have the same amount of X pipe producers available in the US?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:02 PM
FormerVendor

Not really, we have plenty of shops that offer a wide range of fuel packages. Speed Inc and Nasty Nate come to mind. Especially Nasty who pretty much specializes in it at very good prices. There is nothing custom about it, here are the parts, put them on.
I feel that the APS drop in twin fuel pump approach will be a very easy and reliable way to obtain a huge fuel supply with low fuel pump noise.
The only Y pipe exhuast system that will work with your setup is Hooker, as well as QTP, and Kooks since they are basically the same header design. But as we have all said, they suck.
If guys don't like the Hooker/QTP/Kooks Y pipe design then they can obviously have a custom Y pipe and exhaust system made by a quality custom exhaust shop.
But it is your business, i'm just making a recommendation
I really do appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts on the exhaust issue and I will put this on the agenda for our next engineering meeting though I don't expect that APS will design or produce this pipe in the near future as we have so many other projects to complete and very little engineering time available.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 04-18-2007, 07:24 PM
FormerVendor

double post..............sorry
Old 04-18-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

I really do appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts on the exhaust issue and I will put this on the agenda for our next engineering meeting though I don't expect that APS will design or produce this pipe in the near future as we have so many other projects to complete and very little engineering time available.

Thanks,

Peter
Fair enough, I hope they take it into serious consideration as I believe this will be something everyone wants.

Perhaps we should start another thread with a poll to see results
Old 04-18-2007, 08:17 PM
FormerVendor

Fair enough, I hope they take it into serious consideration as I believe this will be something everyone wants.
I just went and had a look at the F body car and I think that twin 2.5 inch pipes would be the most ideal from the Hooker header connection out let position to ensure the best possible ground clearance, especially on the left hand side of the F body. This would be expensive to produce on a production basis..............maybe best done by a custom exhaust shop.

Perhaps we should start another thread with a poll to see results
By all means do.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 04-18-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

I just went and had a look at the F body car and I think that twin 2.5 inch pipes would be the most ideal from the Hooker header connection out let position to ensure the best possible ground clearance, especially on the left hand side of the F body. This would be expensive to produce on a production basis..............maybe best done by a custom exhaust shop.

By all means do.

Thanks,

Peter
Thanks for looking into it Peter

Quick Reply: F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing $5495 inc free delvery