Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing $5495 inc free delvery

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
I work a lot of hours. This will be my first turbo experience. I take my time when I'm cutting and not real sure about how things are going to go back together. Take your pick, this will not be a fast or easy install for me.
In no way will this install be a piece of cake for me, and I have never installed a TT kit.

But looking at the detail of instructions given by APS I think it will flow very nicely from step to step.

Of course if you have any questions along the way ask here and I'm sure Peter or any of us who are installing it will be able to help you through it.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has there been many street miles logged in the test car Peter?

I like the way the PCV system has been changed and there should be no problem with crankcase pressure. I am however concerned with oil getting into the intake without any type of catch can. I personally will put my own catch can I already have between the valve cover and one way valve. I can see oil being sucked into air entry ducts from the other two hose though. Maybe some kind of oil separators can be placed in those lines?
Old 07-12-2007, 12:25 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Inspector12
It will be the same as the GTO and C5 turbos. Thought I'd help you out Peter LOL!
Thanks,

Peter
Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 AM
FormerVendor

While this kit is beautiful and I'm sure the effort will be worth it in the end; it is going to take me months to put the damn thing on my car....
The twin turbo install would take a pro shop around 3 days max (plus the fuel system install) so if you're doing your first twin turbo install I'd allow double that time, hope that helps.

Peter
Old 07-12-2007, 12:31 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by KWIKKAR
I'm getting boxes at my house like its christmas in July. Wife is like I want to get some boxes. May have to put her name on a few and have her open it and say WOW, your gettting into this turbo thing aren't you. LOL.

Looking good Peter.

Still need to find out what cam I need and fuel system?
I recommend that you consider the LPE GT2-3 camshaft and the APS twin fuel pump system would be an ideal way to go for the fuel system imho, very thoroughly engineered and has sufficient fuel flow for around 1000 rwhp with larger fuel lines and fuel rails.

Peter
Old 07-12-2007, 12:32 AM
FormerVendor

I work a lot of hours. This will be my first turbo experience. I take my time when I'm cutting and not real sure about how things are going to go back together. Take your pick, this will not be a fast or easy install for me.
Just take your time and enjoy the journey..........half of the fun is the satisfaction of completing the install.

Peter
Old 07-12-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fil131
Peter I know you said there were more pictures to be added and it needed to be checked for typos, but I wanted to make sure and ask a few questions since I will be installing this kit myself.

1. Will there be measurements of the cuts made on steps 182, 182a, 181, 181a, 166b, 166, 158. I'm sure there are more, and I'm sure you guys are gonna get it all, but I wanted to make it a point that I hope those measurements are covered.

2. step 154 states to reinstall coil packs and spark plug leads, there is no previous steps stating that the coil packs must be removed.

3. I hope for more detailed pictures of the routing of the vacuum, and vacuum sensing hoses. Especially the breather hoses routing from steps 152 and 153.

4. In step 151 it says the breather hoses must criss cross, is there any way that a picture can be taken to show what they mean, does this mean that the LHS breather hose and the RHS breather hose will cross over each other to opposite sides of the engine and go to the other side? Ie... LHS breather hose from the rear of the engine to the RHS of the engine routed to the RHS BOV, and the RHS breather hose running to the left side of the engine and routed to the LHS BOV?

This just didnt make sense to me.

I appreciate all that you guys do and I know these items will be addressed.

Thanks Peter,

Filbert
You need to take off the coil packs and spark plug wires in order to remove the stock manifold. They didn't cover removing stock manifolds in the instructions and that is probably why it was left out
Old 07-12-2007, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Don't fret guys, a lot of the details will become pretty obvious as you install. Many of the "trim here, modify this" stuff is simply for clearance. You'll see what needs to be done and how much once you have the components in hand

There's a couple things that will be slightly different as well, like trimming the bumper cover for Formulas and Camaros. Again, it should be pretty obvious why and where to trim
Old 07-12-2007, 01:38 AM
Launching!

That brings up another question that I have had but forgot to ask,

What can we expect to be different in the 02 Camaro on this install?
Old 07-12-2007, 03:27 AM
Launching!

I also wanted clarification on step 173.

The 2 vacuum hoses attached to each the LHBOV and the RHBOV and then attached to the T-Piece, does the third side hose go to the empty fitting on the steel T-Piece pictured in step 143?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

That brings up another question that I have had but forgot to ask,

What can we expect to be different in the 02 Camaro on this install?
Every part that's different than a Trans Am (which is next to nothing).

Bumper cover is ever so slightly different in the area needed to be trimmed, and the fog lights can be left alone. Everything else should remain the same looking at the incredibly detailed install photos
Old 07-12-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by peter@aps
The f Body twin turbo system has the identical turbos to the GTO and C5 ZO6 twin turbo systems.

Peter
Those C5 Vette guys better get crankin on the power #s. I was actually concerned about the turbos reading all the low power #s out of the C5 kits, but it seems there are a few GTO guys making big time power with the same turbos.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:51 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
Those C5 Vette guys better get crankin on the power #s. I was actually concerned about the turbos reading all the low power #s out of the C5 kits, but it seems there are a few GTO guys making big time power with the same turbos.
LS2 > LS1

LS2 engines love boost.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peter@aps
Guys, Here's the latest link to the F body twin turbo install instructions, there's still a few areas that need final proof reading by engineering so don't take these intructions as being absolute final install instructions, enjoy!

Peter

http://www.airpowersystems.com/guide...ts01_guide.htm
Whew! That was a heck of a read. But I am looking forward to putting all this on. I was already thinking of what I could start ahead of time to make this install go faster..... Ha ha.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
LS2 > LS1

LS2 engines love boost.
I know, but I didn't think it was that drastic. We're talking about 150-200+rwhp

The LS1 Vette guys are struggling to put down 600 where the GTO guys are popping up with 700+
Old 07-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Peter,

I looked up the cam specs for the LPE Cam:

207/220 571/.578 w 1.7 rocker 118.5 CL

So this is the cam you recommend to compliment your twin setup? Just wondering if this was the same cam you planned to put in your forged 346 buildup later this year?

I was just looking for something with a little more "personality"; I know choppy cams aren't ideal for turbo applications, but that looks pretty lethargic.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sixspeed02TA
Peter,

I looked up the cam specs for the LPE Cam:

207/220 571/.578 w 1.7 rocker 118.5 CL

So this is the cam you recommend to compliment your twin setup? Just wondering if this was the same cam you planned to put in your forged 346 buildup later this year?

I was just looking for something with a little more "personality"; I know choppy cams aren't ideal for turbo applications, but that looks pretty lethargic.
I have this cam with a 1st Gen APS TT in my GTO it is very stealthy and as you say has no personality but I am making over 600ftlbs at 3100rpm and 770ftlbs buy 5000rpm on a stock bottom end LS2 with 317 heads through stock mufflers with 3 inch tubing from the downpipes to muffs. Heres a link to the dyno.http://videos.streetfire.net/video/f...17001953bc.htm I am sure you can find a cam with more personality but the GT2-3 works very well.

Les
Old 07-12-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've been looking at the Speed INC TU1 cam for my TT kit setup. SixSpeed02TA?

May have to get a custom one done up.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Eric Konieg (engine builder for HPE) will likely be the guy building my motor. I'm sure he will have a lot of input to what I ultimately end up with. I'm looking at all sources at the moment. Haven't currently made any decisions on heads or cam.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 PM
FormerVendor

In no way will this install be a piece of cake for me, and I have never installed a TT kit.

But looking at the detail of instructions given by APS I think it will flow very nicely from step to step.

Of course if you have any questions along the way ask here and I'm sure Peter or any of us who are installing it will be able to help you through it.
Agreed, I'm sure that the F body TT install will be quite straight forward one you get your teeth into the install and APS will double check all of the install instructions over the next dew days to iron out any potential bugs.

Peter

Quick Reply: F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing $5495 inc free delvery