Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing $5495 inc free delvery

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brains
Leaning towards L92 stuff, can't beat the flow for the dollar. I haven't chosen cam specs yet, thinking of something in the neighborhood of mid 230'ish degrees on a 115'ish LSA, somewhat aggressive lobe profile to keep the overlap at a minimum.

I can always cheat and put big cc heads on the current motor, it's only 370cid but it's already fully built
Im using the L92/l76 heads/intake aswell....no head work at all...out of the box on the 402. ill keep everyone posted on numbers when they become available..
Old 07-17-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNTramair
Im using the L92/l76 heads/intake aswell....no head work at all...out of the box on the 402. ill keep everyone posted on numbers when they become available..
I was told that the L92 heads had issues with sealing under boost, even more so than say the LS2 heads. Any truth to this? I was looking at them for my setup, but when I was told that, I backed off. Still very interested for their bang for the buck ratio!!!
Joe
Old 07-17-2007, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz
I was told that the L92 heads had issues with sealing under boost, even more so than say the LS2 heads. Any truth to this? I was looking at them for my setup, but when I was told that, I backed off. Still very interested for their bang for the buck ratio!!!
Joe
yeah i heard of a few issues, but than again, there are people running other heads that are having the same trouble so who knows if its really a head issue or headgasket/torqueing issue etc.etc. mine wont see serious boost so i should be fine (10-12psi) but if it becomes a huge issue i can allways replace them and chalk it up to a lesson learned.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Peter, I just sent you another pm
Old 07-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Banned

Leaning towards L92 stuff, can't beat the flow for the dollar. I haven't chosen cam specs yet, thinking of something in the neighborhood of mid 230'ish degrees on a 115'ish LSA, somewhat aggressive lobe profile to keep the overlap at a minimum.

I can always cheat and put big cc heads on the current motor, it's only 370cid but it's already fully built
One Word.
AFR
sorry i have used both L92 stuff and AFR stuff. gm is good, but not that good. there is just more mass to the AFR.
yes bang for the buck. L92
Quaity that last AFR

just ask tony. he wont lie. didn't to me.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:14 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
One Word.
AFR
sorry i have used both L92 stuff and AFR stuff. gm is good, but not that good. there is just more mass to the AFR.
yes bang for the buck. L92
Quaity that last AFR

just ask tony. he wont lie. didn't to me.
AFR's are good and so are the TFS heads I have both and I believe the L92 heads are no more prone to lifting than any other GM head or atleast I haven't seen anything to back up other wise. I think the extra deck thickness and better quality material is what it truely helping the aftermarket heads the most. Another way to think about it could be the great intake flow maybe by some chance the L92 heads are creating greater cylinder presure and just causeing them to lift a little quicker than say a traditional GM casting head? Who knows for sure right now not a lot of data to support any theories. But that is for another thread IMO!

How close are you to shipping these kits Peter? Are you guys still on target?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Launching!

I was hoping for an explanation of these 2 steps.

What kind/brand of engine oil is good for tubocharged engines? I've never seen any specifically made for them.

Why do we have to refill power steering? It doesnt say anywhere in the instructions that any of those lines or components had to be drained or disconnected.

Completion of Installation
1 Ensure that the engine oil grade utilized is suitable for use with gasoline turbocharged engines.
2 Re-fill power steering system in accordance with the factory service manual.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by peter@aps
How low is you comp ratio? Have you actually measured the comp ratio yet?

Peter
I answered your question allready

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
I allready posted the cam specs a while back. Comp is 9:0:1 Speed Inc's tuner spec'ed my cam
Old 07-17-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Veteran

At the risk of sounding ignorant...could anything be done to make the spooling sound more apparent or the blow off valve? That vid of the Z06 dyno is super quiet.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BLKWS6
At the risk of sounding ignorant...could anything be done to make the spooling sound more apparent or the blow off valve? That vid of the Z06 dyno is super quiet.
BOV question has already been answered, you can remove the pipe that goes to the left or right of the BOV that attaches to the intake and plug the remaining opening on the intake pipe.
Attached Thumbnails F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing 95 inc free delvery-untitled.gif  

Last edited by fil131; 07-17-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by fil131
BOV question has already been answered, you can leave the pipe that goes to the left or right of the BOV that attaches to the intake and plug the remaining opening on the intake pipe.
gotcha. musta missed that one. Thanks
Old 07-17-2007, 09:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
We will find out LME just finished my low comp 402 But I still want the upgrades
I'm sure we will have some optional larger turbos in the future (before the end of 07 I'd guess)................we plan on testing a number of different turbocharger combinations (on the engine dyno) when the forged LS1 engine is completed and ready to fire an angry shot.

Peter
Old 07-17-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just upsize the "standard" turbochargers and call it a day
Old 07-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BLKWS6
gotcha. musta missed that one. Thanks
I added a pic above if it helps, this should not afect turbos in any way, because any extra pressure that is sent to the intake with the pipe installed that is greater than the turbo is pulling at that current time will not go to the turbo, but will be forced back out through the air filter in a reverse flow.

Peter I know that if this BOV outlet hose is vented back to the intake it can help the turbo keep spinning, but your design is made so that the resulting surge of pressure put back in the intake if greater than the ammount of air currently being used by the Turbocharger than the air will reverse flow through the air filter. The only way I see this being improved is if there is a unidirectional flow device installed between the airfilter assembly and the inlet that the BOV outlet hose attaches to which would allow for a pressure to be forced directly back to the turbocharger to allow for less turbo lag between shifts.

This seems to make sense to me, but please give me your feedback.

Thanks guys

Last edited by fil131; 07-17-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TNTramair
yeah...couple of us are putting this kit on a 400+CI motor.

mine is a 402 with about 9.0:1 comp....custom grind turbo cam (dunno the specs ) but im not lookin for retarded horsepower either. if it gets me to about 700rwhp (street car) ill be a happy camper...
I like your power goals and engine specs (especially the 9:1 comp ratio) How do you think the stock drive train will handle 700/700 rwhp/rwtq? Interested in your thoughts and do you have any plans to strengthen the drive train?

Peter
Old 07-17-2007, 09:36 PM
9 Second Club

Just upsize the "standard" turbochargers and call it a day
LOL Kinda makes me not want to install the kit till bigger turbo's are available But that wont happen!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
Few things I'd like updates on Peter:

Have you made any progress on AIR / EGR block off plates included in the kit? This is something that is considerably different from year to year, and many of us that had both of them at one time no longer do.
I believe that engineering has organised EGR blank off plates for the late model exhaust manifolds, not early model manifolds.

Have you found a 4L80E to test fit? I can't imagine it's that hard to find one.
We've not had time for this engineering work due to very heavy work loads, I'll have to leave that one to you guys for now.

What about the MAF delete pipe for those of who won't be using the MAF? Will it be included in the kit, or as an option?
This will be an optional part and I will post info and pricing on that MAF delete hose as soon as I have final info from engineering.

Peter
Old 07-17-2007, 09:39 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by peter@aps

This will be an optional part and I will post info and pricing on that MAF delete hose as soon as I have final info from engineering.

Peter
Just dont send me motor mounts and put the MAF delete in my box I allready have done my motor mounts which are a PITA in the car!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:40 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the update. APS is going with Mahle forged pistons and AFR 225 heads (static comp ratio should end up around 9.2:1) and a GT11 turbo cam in our LS1 forged engine, should be interesting to see the final power and torque results.

Peter
Old 07-17-2007, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fil131
Why do we have to refill power steering? It doesnt say anywhere in the instructions that any of those lines or components had to be drained or disconnected.
http://bmrfabrication.com/INSTALL/KM003.pdf

Don't forget this is part of the install as well.

Quick Reply: F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing $5495 inc free delvery