Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing $5495 inc free delvery

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brains
Keep us posted on the 65lb. wheels. I'm assuming the cover will need to be machined to match? Is this something we can have done on an exchange basis later on?
The larger F body turbos when available will be a completely new turbocharger assembly, not a deal that can be done on an exchange type basis.

Peter
Old 08-07-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

I see, that'll be an expensive upgrade for us early adopters then. Hopefully I can find a purpose for the smaller turbos if/when I upgrade
Old 08-07-2007, 08:36 AM
10 Second Club

when will the larger turbos be ready and will anything other than the turbo itself change

Thanks Darren
Old 08-07-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The way the turbos and housings are made its not going to be very good if you want to go to the bigger ones. With normal turbos like sts ,etc you would just simply unbolt your turbo with like 4 bolts and a couple of lines and sell it to the next guy. But with these custom housings its not like the average guy could use them very easily. I still wonder if a standard gasket can be used on the turbo to exhaust manifold end and if so what size gasket like t3 or whatever? I am still not 100% thrilled with using rtv.

There are compromises made on every design of course. And some advantages. This system looks to have good ground clearance, and retains your air conditioning. And is reasonably priced. Disadvantage is not as easy to simply switch out turbos and the turbos are not ball bearing like the c6 kits so you will lose a bit between shifts on a manual car and not have quite a fast a spool up likely as a bb one in the same or close to the same size.
I am not overly concerned as still am quite sure these things especially in a 408 or 427 will give me a potential of close to 850rwhp and if it takes a small shot of spray to get there no big deal either.
There is always bigger, better ,faster. But of course this speed habit is insatiable and can be bottomless for money.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Peter,
Anyway you could send me the page for the final deposit! I think i missed it...

Thanks

Last edited by DanDan; 08-07-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

***T minus 10 days and counting***
this will be the best christmas gift ive ever received...lol.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Murdock
Any word on compressor maps?
Not yet though I will follow this up for you guys.

Peter
Old 08-07-2007, 08:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Interesting about bigger wheels. But can they be swapped by us or would we have to ship turbos back for install?
The larger turbos will most likely be a complete new turbo unit, more on that when I have firm information, a few months away at minimum I guess before I have firm info.

Peter
Old 08-07-2007, 08:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
The HP Tuners 2 bar custom Operating System.
Cool.

Peter
Old 08-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

It is disappointing that swapping to larger turbos won't be as straight forward as with a single kit. I don't have any idea who would be able to use the ones currently supplied with our kits (other than maybe a GTO guy who burns one up). That being said...there is a company here state-side that will be trying to develop an adapter plate that will connect to the manifolds supplied by APS, which could give us more options on future turbo upgrades. (That's a whole lot of words like: if.... maybe..... potentially; so don't quote me on that.)

I'm sure we will find a way to engineer a solution; preferably with APS's help.... at a reasonable price.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
The shopping part is always great! It's getting the credit card bill at the end of the month that is not so fun.
So true, no pain no gain as the saying goes.

Peter
Old 08-07-2007, 08:51 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cpt_bimes
these kits are supernice
Thanks and I am certainly thrilled with how the F body tt system has ALL come together, it's a very comprehensive twin turbo system and the parts are high quality, all good.

Peter
Old 08-07-2007, 09:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Brains
I see, that'll be an expensive upgrade for us early adopters then. Hopefully I can find a purpose for the smaller turbos if/when I upgrade
Well if you play you pay, that's all part of the turbo game.

Peter
Old 08-07-2007, 09:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Darren P
when will the larger turbos be ready and will anything other than the turbo itself change

Thanks Darren
I'd guess 4 to 5 months from now if APS does release larger turbos and I'm not aware of what other changes will be required...............just too early to say right now.

Peter
Old 08-07-2007, 09:39 PM
FormerVendor

The way the turbos and housings are made its not going to be very good if you want to go to the bigger ones. With normal turbos like sts ,etc you would just simply unbolt your turbo with like 4 bolts and a couple of lines and sell it to the next guy. But with these custom housings its not like the average guy could use them very easily.
It's simply a question of available space around the turbocharger. APS has packaged large turbos that would install without having to make many other changes to the car whilst being able to package large external waste gates efficiently. Our aim was to produce a high quality/affordable/dependable twin turbo system that would be capable of producing up to 800 rwhp on a forged turbo engine whilst retaining all of the factory accessories.

There are compromises made on every design of course. And some advantages. This system looks to have good ground clearance, and retains your air conditioning. And is reasonably priced.
All of the above is correct and the F body system is available within a timely manner at a very affordable cost.

Disadvantage is not as easy to simply switch out turbos and the turbos are not ball bearing like the c6 kits so you will lose a bit between shifts on a manual car and not have quite a fast a spool up likely as a bb one in the same or close to the same size.
I honestly think that true ball bearing turbos (Garrett GT series turbos and IHI turbos) have been produced for high bearing integrity/life as the old Garrett journal bearing design had severe limitations in that area..............all of the talk about quicker spooling is far more dependent on the turbocharger match/sizing than any other single engineering factor.

There is always bigger, better ,faster.
All of the above is true at very high cost and in reality most guys don't have the budget for the forged engine yet alone the drivetrain to support very high torque. I guess it all comes down to what you can afford.

Peter
Old 08-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Teching In

What are the chances for this kit working on a 3rd gen fbody with an ls1?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ternadorex
What are the chances for this kit working on a 3rd gen fbody with an ls1?
You could probably make it work with a shitload of custom work. The manifolds and turbo's are either going to fit or not but if they do, you will almost defenitely need different downpipes. As for the intercooler portion, I doubt you will be able to use anything other than the intercooler and BOV's. You would have to redo all of the intercooler piping, but thats really not that big of a deal. The pipes are routed to go through a 4th gen F-body and they bolt onto parts and in places that wouldn't be the same as a third-gen. All said and done, you would probably be better off bringing your car to a shop that can custom fab a kit for your car. A friend of mine locally could develop and tune a kit for your car. I don't know pricing but I could give you his number if you'd like through PM. Or you could just buy an LS1.... It would probably be easier to sell if you ever decide too. I don't know many people who would want to buy a 500rwhp+ third-gen.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter, I hate to play Mr. Obvious and I don't care to go back and read through 170 pages of this thread to check but has anyone checked to see if the intercooler neck will clear the non-Ws6, SS and Z28 hood? That neck looks pretty high.

Also, with the way the intercooler is mounted, do you see any real benefit of cutting out the front of the camaro bumper for additional cooling or will it see enough air from the bottom? Thanks.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:21 AM
Launching!

Peter you have a PM from me.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SStolen
Peter, I hate to play Mr. Obvious and I don't care to go back and read through 170 pages of this thread to check but has anyone checked to see if the intercooler neck will clear the non-Ws6, SS and Z28 hood? That neck looks pretty high.

Also, with the way the intercooler is mounted, do you see any real benefit of cutting out the front of the camaro bumper for additional cooling or will it see enough air from the bottom? Thanks.
I wondered the same thing a while back, but I eyeballed some of the angled photos and it looks like it does not go any higher than the fenders so I think we should all be safe. (of course this is me just eyeballing angled photos, a confirmation from Peter would be much more accurate) see attached photos
Attached Thumbnails F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing 95 inc free delvery-dyno3.jpg   F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing 95 inc free delvery-dyno4.jpg  

Quick Reply: F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing $5495 inc free delvery