Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

The real story behind Phamspeed's Budget kits... (Read Me)

Old 04-21-2007, 04:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The real story behind Phamspeed's Budget kits... (Read Me)

Way back when, Phamspeed was offering ungodly expensive turbo kits for LSX engines w/ tubular collector hot parts in which the kit price was around $4K+.

Until one lone adventurer asked (with inspiration from the ohio boys ) if they'd consider making a kit that axed their expensive custom tubular header in favor of a cheapass design that used the stock truck manifolds...and basically only consisted of a y-pipe that collected the exhaust flow from the stock manifolds and brought it to a flange mount for a turbo. Thus, spawning unwittingly the Phamspeed budget kit. Ahead are the details, including stiff resistance to the idea at first, at least...yeah this was me.

Originally Posted by vortec_7
hey have you guys ever considered doing just the hot parts from the manifolds to turbo, but with stock truck manifolds turned around? (the pipes from the manifolds that splice into one and meet the turbo)

i think you'd sell a shitload of these things if you gave it a shot. and it wouldnt be a time consuming piece to make, it would also already have an 02 sensor bung in the truck manifolds. just think about all of the cheapasses out there wating for something like this...what do you think?

-bryan

Here is the response:

Our manifolds are only $700 so savings would be minimum at best.

A little later...after they adopt my idea and start selling the budget kit, which uses the stock manifolds.....etc...wtf?!? as expected...

[PM from me to them]

Originally Posted by vortec_7
hey, i see from the looks of your budget kit that you took my ideas into consideration, thats great! i was wondering if you all were selling just the piece from between the manifolds and the turbo, and whether or not you think it will fit on a second gen rx7. i think it just may.

Yeah, we just decided to use stock f-body manifolds and see what we can make of it. Turned out nice I think

On a 2nd genRX7? I highly doubt it will. You're always welcome to try and price for just that pipe will be around $650. Just a guess though

I never bought anything from them, but I figured this was something everyone should know at least. Just a bit of nostalgia...maybe good for a laugh or two st least.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummm...why did you post this?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by motorbuilt
Ummm...why did you post this?
pretty much...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The real story behind Phamspeed's Budget kits... (Read Me)