Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What to do about breather, brake booster, and PCV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do about breather, brake booster, and PCV?

Hi there,
When turbocharging a factory N/A car, what do I do to these 3 systems, which normally use engine vacuum? The first are the 2 breather lines that come from each valve cover, T together, then go into a port on the throttle body.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2007, 03:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

i have a port on each valve cover T'd together both lines have check valves.Then that line goes to 1 port on a catch can,the other port goes to the inlet nipple on the turbo.this will help draw a vacuum on a crankcase.the oil cap is replaced with a breather.and btw no oil in my intake track and neither do others who do it this way.

the brake booster is T'd as well for the BOV and WG/boost controller.my boost gauge has a separate source on the pass side of the intake manifold.

hope that helps.nick
Old 05-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Banned

I appreciate your help, but it didn't really answer my question. What I basically wanted to know, will it hurt these systems if they go under boost? Or do I need check valves on them all? Or do they need constant vacuum (ie source before the compressor inlet)?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2007, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

ah i didnt see you post in your original question anything about if its ok to go under boost.you cannot use the stock PCV system(hoses going to valve covers) because when your under boost you will push air the opposite direction and pressurize the crankcase.you can choose to do check valves in both hoses or you can do a setup like mine.

the brake boost is fine there shouldnt be any issues with that going under boost as thats where people tap for vacuum/boost sources.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Banned

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks a lot!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ddnspider
i have a port on each valve cover T'd together both lines have check valves.Then that line goes to 1 port on a catch can,the other port goes to the inlet nipple on the turbo.this will help draw a vacuum on a crankcase.the oil cap is replaced with a breather.and btw no oil in my intake track and neither do others who do it this way.

the brake booster is T'd as well for the BOV and WG/boost controller.my boost gauge has a separate source on the pass side of the intake manifold.

hope that helps.nick
Any pics of this? Why two check valves? How did you do other lines?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

ill try to take some pics and post them in a couple days,summer classes just started

Quick Reply: What to do about breather, brake booster, and PCV?