Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

more ofi results--no new times

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default more ofi results--no new times

DIdnt go any faster if you want to skip the whole story.

First pass was like 1.6 10.7@127 Boost would spike to 11psi i think and drop to 7.5-9psi immediately. That was sign number one of a wasted night.

After that i kept bumping the boost controller up but boost would spike to whatever i had it set at and then fall down a few psi. best run was like a 1.53 10.3x @ 132ish I am about to go check hoses...bov etc. Even on the way home, i would nail it...hear the turbo screaming but be making very little boost so its leaking somewhere. Raceweight was 3935#....launches were anywhere from 1-3psi on the tbrake. After trimming the core support...i got the stock rad/condenser working like a ****. Coming home and sitting in traffic at 86 degrees ambient, a/c temp was 38 deg out of the center vent...yeehaw. Poor ET results but I didnt break anything and had fun with my friends so not a bad night
Old 05-28-2007, 08:33 AM
kp
8 Second Club

At least nothing broke, good to see the cooling issues worked out. It will get there, probably just something stupid with the wastegate or plumbing with the boost..
Old 05-28-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Cablebandit, why did you sell your Incon setup to go with the OFI setup? your car was running great with the Incons.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

sounds good to me man, i woulda gone ahead and checked the hoses while i was at the track tho

be happy to go over eboost set up sometime if you can't find anything else wrong.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Get those things figured out Jerry.....
Old 05-28-2007, 11:36 AM
9 Second Club

lol....wont believe what was wrong. I dropped the tranny crossmember and all down the other day. When the engine tilted backwards with the tranny, i pulled something loose....duh. Considering, it actually ran really well!!!! explains where my boost/mph went to. Oh well...we still had a good time while eating the tracks overpriced hot dogs!!

I switched from the incon setup becuase the t25 housings could not keep up with a 408. I wanted to keep the bigger cubes as I like the off boost driveability.

David, i got the eboost2 down. I checked a few things at the track but it was dark and the pit area is dirt/grass. Car was running fine off boost so i figured we'd just call it a night.

KP, you are right...it didnt break so thats a good night for me

I am just not going to go up on the boost until it runs a 9.99 or better at 11psi. I know it can do it when everything is dialed in. I am also slowly learning what works for my heavy car and its suspension. Once it runs the 9.99, i will start going up on the boost and the launch rpm. For now i just want to get it efficient so that it hauls *** when i do go up in boost. I would LIKE for 20psi to get me in the 9.3 range.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:51 AM
kp
8 Second Club

After 9.90s no one cares until you get in the 8s. I would get it to run 9.70-9.80 consistantly and just have some fun with it. Heavy cars = lots of broken parts when trying to push it.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:17 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
After 9.90s no one cares until you get in the 8s. I would get it to run 9.70-9.80 consistantly and just have some fun with it. Heavy cars = lots of broken parts when trying to push it.

So true....
Old 05-28-2007, 12:44 PM
9 Second Club

i care...this car is for mine and my wifes enjoyment. It wont ever run 8s and thats fine by me. As long as i keep the slow 60' it shouldnt tear up too much.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:51 PM
9 Second Club

vid of a few passes...10.7x....10.3x...10.4x......just for folks who wanna see the kit in action....with a big boost leak

http://cablebandit.net/videos/ofi-lowboost-sdr-5-07.wmv
Old 05-28-2007, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice #'s!!! I seen the weight and didn't realize it was a vert, thats movin for 4k pounds!! looks clean and sounds great goin down the track.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:09 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by cablebandit
i care...this car is for mine and my wifes enjoyment. It wont ever run 8s and thats fine by me. As long as i keep the slow 60' it shouldnt tear up too much.
I realize you care but if no one really cared what others think there would be no internet racing

I'm sure your car is well capable of running 9.30s, its just a lot more strain on everything 60 foot or down track with a 4000lb car and sometimes a couple tenths just isnt worth the associated hassle. As long as you are having fun with it, thats what matters..
Old 05-28-2007, 01:39 PM
9 Second Club

I cant beat anybody...on the internet or otherwise which is why i seldom actually RACE...i just t-n-t for my own enjoyment. You are right about the strain but shes fat and doesnt look to be going on a diet. When i get my amp back from JLaudio, it is gonna be 50# heavier...but the radio will sound better with my 2 subs back in the car. I think i will put some quick disconnects on it so i can take the amp/box out very easily/quickly.

On another note, my IATS seem to be running 36 deg above wherever they start. That has been constant from 7-13 psi. I am happy about that as I dont feel the NEED to run methanol like i did with my incon i/cs. I am sure that once i get to 15+ psi, iats will go up a good bit more
Old 05-28-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same issue with the boost spiking. I also had the Eboost2.

Nice Times btw. My car is heavy as well. It will be TNT this weekend I went built th400 3800 stall and bigstuff3 and thrown on 25psi on the T76 Qtrim with meth and pray the rear IRS does not rip out
Old 05-28-2007, 02:15 PM
9 Second Club

mine was not the eboost2.....i actually ripped something on the coldside. Eboost2 ROCKS...the GP and SNL settings are the key to getting the most out of it
Old 05-28-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

i wanna know how you get the t brake to engage so quickly, you immediately went on it as opposed to waiting for a 3 count, which mine takes all of.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:42 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by cablebandit
I cant beat anybody...on the internet or otherwise which is why i seldom actually RACE...i just t-n-t for my own enjoyment. You are right about the strain but shes fat and doesnt look to be going on a diet. When i get my amp back from JLaudio, it is gonna be 50# heavier...but the radio will sound better with my 2 subs back in the car. I think i will put some quick disconnects on it so i can take the amp/box out very easily/quickly.

On another note, my IATS seem to be running 36 deg above wherever they start. That has been constant from 7-13 psi. I am happy about that as I dont feel the NEED to run methanol like i did with my incon i/cs. I am sure that once i get to 15+ psi, iats will go up a good bit more
I understand, everyone has their own idea of how to enjoy their car and thats what makes the automotive hobby so diverse and apealing to so many different people..

My IATs rise about the same at 15psi, anywhere from 35-40* over from where I hit the trans brake on the line. I'm sure meth would help me a little on hotter days but its just one more pump and electronic controller to crap out at the worst time. I dont think those incon ICs were doing much as hard as you were pushing it
Old 05-28-2007, 02:45 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i wanna know how you get the t brake to engage so quickly, you immediately went on it as opposed to waiting for a 3 count, which mine takes all of.
Try bringing up the rpm some before you hit the brake, generally that delay happens from low pump pressure at idle and raising the rpm helps sometimes. There really shouldnt be any delay, when you hit the brake the car should stop dead right then and there - you would be murdered on a pro tree if you had to count to three before the trans brake engaged
Old 05-28-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

i know, but mine doesnt work that way, and the rosser instructions say to wait a 3 count before letting off the footbrake. i guess there just isnt much pressure to be had at 1-2k rpms
Old 05-28-2007, 02:49 PM
9 Second Club

not really Dave.....after i turn on the first bulb....i start giving it about half throttle (guess)...ill ease off the brakes just a tick..just enuff to move a tick but not trip the second bulb. while still holding the brakes down, I then hit the tbrake..wait a sec or so and then release the brakes.....the car will roll enuff to trip the 2nd bulb and then rock from the tbrake fully engaging and then i got WOT. I am slowly getting the hang/timing of it. You can practice in your driveway etc...of course you dont know how far you have moved but you can get the sequence down. The half throttle rev before i get on the tbrake seem to make it engage quicker. If i hit the tbrake and then just floor it instantly...it would redlight everytime becuase of the delay before the tbrake engages.

Now the timing is what makes it get right on the 2 step but i know you are just concerned with the tbrake for now...that was 3200-3500rpm launches. Thats about all that track will hold for MY car/tires on a friday night TNT