Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What would you consider a perfect daily driven FI car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you consider a perfect daily driven FI car?

Just wanted to see what you guys would consider for the best all around daily driven FI car?

Engine (Size)?
Tranny? Auto or Manual?
Rear end? 12 bolt or 9''

FI system? How many pounds?

Any and all input is welcome here.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A true all year daily driver.. Twin Turbos, 8 psi of boost, pump gas. Stock 346 is fine. Auto trans is my personal preference. 500-550 rwhp. Plenty to have fun with and the combo would be dead nuts reliable.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't be able to say 'perfect', but I will share what I am doing and plan on having it as a DD but don't really drive it much, LOL. It will be a 408 with a D1SC procharger. Anywheres from 8-14psi. I will probably end up shooting for 12psi as a target and thinking around 750rwhp give or take some. All depends on preference but I myself wouldn't reccommned a turbo but many have as a DD and love them. I went with bigger cubes for the touque down low and being able to run less boost while making more power. Less strain, more efficient kinda thing while having lots of room to upgrade in the future if I choose to go that route. I have full intentions of keeping it a street car and making trips with it etc. There are few with this combo that DD the car and love it but there are also many others with other combos having great success too. There's lots of options and no real best way to go, all depends on preference, time, money, etc. Good luck with your choice, you should have alot of different posts which I too will be interested in. Should be interesting thread
Old 08-12-2007, 04:40 AM
TECH Resident

383 cid, m6, 12 bolt, single front mont turbo(76-83mm). That would be a FUN drive to work!
Old 08-12-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdhmi
A true all year daily driver.. Twin Turbos, 8 psi of boost, pump gas. Stock 346 is fine. Auto trans is my personal preference. 500-550 rwhp. Plenty to have fun with and the combo would be dead nuts reliable.
Exactly! Could not have said it any better. At that level, you can stick with a stock motor, stock tranny, stock rear (no launches), stock fuel system with a single in-tank pump and injectors, no methanol, pump gas all day long. All said and done with a basic MAF tune (I would still do speed density), fuel pressure and boost gauge: around $7000.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by deadmanTA
383 cid, m6, 12 bolt, single front mont turbo(76-83mm). That would be a FUN drive to work!
just like this one except with a 418.....
Old 08-12-2007, 09:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perfect car for me is a big cube (408+ci) with a turbo (85 - 88mm) with a 6 speed(I like manuals).Can be built to drive like absolute stock and be very quiet.Side affect is you can make 800-900rwhp on straight pump gas
Old 08-12-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine, and yes i too believe a manual is best. you can still enjoy the backroad twisties. gotta remember though, everyone has different levels of comfort zones and size of pockets. hell my DD is a denali xl. i also chose super charger for its linear power curve, makes putting down 700+ hp alil easier on the streets
Old 08-12-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

My perfect DD would be:

2008 C6 Z51 Vette six speed Atomic Orange
402 LS2
9.0:1 comp
AFR 225 heads
Mild low lift cam (224/236, 115LSA)
F1A C6 procharger kit
LG LTs with cats
Good clutch
15#'s boost on pump gas

Old 08-12-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

How about a DD FI Truck?

Bill
Old 08-12-2007, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Caddy CTS-V with a d1sc and a built drivetrain.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

hmm. I guess i am going to be the odd-ball here.

I dont know if i would like a turbo on the road for a DD, unless you can eliminate all the lag. On the street you dont rev the engine to 4k rpm's and drop the clutch to pass people. I would want a car that, as i cruise along at 1800 rpms in 5th or 6th, i can just press the peddle down a lil without downshifting and instantly accelerate with no waiting for boost. I think an automatic trans and turbo would be the utmost worst for street application. manual and turbo would kinda suck as well i feel.

Since its a DD for the road, i dont think i would play with the cam to much, since i would want my car to run nice at idle and start real easy. Also like i said above, i would like lots of torque instantly and no wait for boost.
So IMHO, i would go with a stock or very mild cam, supercharger (prefferably twin screw or roots), with a meth kit and full exhaust. Since it is a DD, you want reliability and easy upkeep. The Meth kit would be nice to keep the intake temps down and scare off the Knock monster, keeping engine life close to stock. The T.S. or roots is also bullet proof and time tested, proven to be long living and (relatively) trouble free.
The ehxaust.... well that personal preference. Long tubes are a must, but after that go with the pitch and volume you want on your DD. You may get more power, but do you mind the volume of a headers into off-road pipes into race bullets? I like it, but many wouldnt.

I am not knocking anyones setup (TT, bigger cam, etc). I am just saying how i would set it up, and it so happens this is exaclty what i am in the proccess of building. I dont wajnt to be playing with my turbos frequently, dealing with heat issues, etc. Not that they arent right for you, but they arent for me. I dont have the know how, the financial means, or the time to be playing with the "stereotypically more tempermental" TT setup.
And i know many are going to read this and start in with the "what lag?" "what are you talking about" "have you ever driven a TT car? You dont know what you are talking about"....etc. Look, i am sure you can set up a TT car so there is no lag, reliable, etc. But not all of us have the know how to do it ourselves, and dont have the money or the desire to spend the money to get a bullet proof setup TT. So if you can do this, congrats. I wish i could.

Edit: i almost forgot. I dont know if it needs to be said, but just in case....
Upgrade the drive train to handle the power. As it is a DD, i want my drive line to last for ever, i dont want things breaking next week or next year. So clutch, drive-shaft, rear end, axles. I dont want to be giving it the ***** starting to break the tires and hit a bump or 2, have one tire leave the ground and accelearate, touch back down and break the rear end. I did this to my S-10 a few years back. The rear end sounded like someone put marble in a blender. lol. What a pain in the ****!!!
Old 08-12-2007, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I'm kinda with Johny GTO. My "perfect DD" would be my Camaro BEFORE FI. No $hit. Cam + bolt-ons was 375RWHP of DD reliability. My new setup is "reliable", but there's always something to adjust here and there. I'm not a fan of driving my STS car in heavy rain and snow, etc is out of the question due to the turbo + traction (or lack of thanks to 500+RWHP now ). For a weekend car, it's great. For a DD, it's not so fun. I've yet to drive it since the upgrades (still sucking in Iraq), but even before 426RWHP was a handful in wet conditions, which is a daily occurance in Hawaii. A front mount that retains AC (like the SpeedInc kit) would be a better choice for daily duties. Traction will still be a major issue. A SC with gobs of low-end torque would be even worse.

Which is why I own 2 turbo cars. The Camaro for weekends and sunny days and a VW GTI for the snow, rain, daily commute, etc.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:14 PM
kp
8 Second Club

The ONLY perfect 100% reliable FI daily driver would be one that came with a blower or turbo from the factory. Once the OE parts start leaving car so does reliability usually unless its an unlimited budget. I have seen maybe two cars I would consider almost OE in terms of quality and reliability, one was onfire's Firehawk with the incons and Nine ***** TT GTO. I'm sure there are others similar but the old saying 'if you want stock reliabilty and driveability leave it stock' applies..
Old 08-12-2007, 02:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
hmm. I guess i am going to be the odd-ball here.

I dont know if i would like a turbo on the road for a DD, unless you can eliminate all the lag. !!!
Obviously you haven't driven a big cube ,turbo car

Figure the car makes 450hp/450tq NA.You will feel a lag because that power feels like 200hp after you get use to it and the point that you will gain 100hp every 500rpm when boost comes in.Also it is easy to build a DD that makes full boost by 3500rpm and holds to 6800rpm.On a race you just roll a higher gear.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by kp
The ONLY perfect 100% reliable FI daily driver would be one that came with a blower or turbo from the factory. Once the OE parts start leaving car so does reliability usually unless its an unlimited budget. I have seen maybe two cars I would consider almost OE in terms of quality and reliability, one was onfire's Firehawk with the incons and Nine ***** TT GTO. I'm sure there are others similar but the old saying 'if you want stock reliabilty and driveability leave it stock' applies..
+1 with kp.

I would not add FI to a non-FI car and expect DD reliability. It just doesnt happen.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Obviously you haven't driven a big cube ,turbo car

Figure the car makes 450hp/450tq NA.You will feel a lag because that power feels like 200hp after you get use to it and the point that you will gain 100hp every 500rpm when boost comes in.Also it is easy to build a DD that makes full boost by 3500rpm and holds to 6800rpm.On a race you just roll a higher gear.
no, i havent. But look what you are saying here....."Also it is easy to build a DD that makes full boost by 3500rpm and holds to 6800rpm.On a race you just roll a higher gear". My point is that i dont want to have to hit 3500 rpms to get full boost, and i dont plan on hitting 6800rpms driving around town. For a DD that also hauls ***, i would want the turbo to kick in almost immediately or have a P.D. blower. I want to push the peddle down a bit while cruising and instantly accelerate and pass cars, without downshiftingto get higher rpms.

Just my personal preference for a street car, ya know?
I am sure you know what you are doing, and could set up a sick car. Hope you enjoy your ride.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by deadmanTA
Thats my setup and it IS a blast to drive to work and to the beach.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ABeasst
Thats my setup and it IS a blast to drive to work and to the beach.
Lucky! I might have to upgrade when I get the ole tax refund next year!
Old 08-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
no, i havent. But look what you are saying here....."Also it is easy to build a DD that makes full boost by 3500rpm and holds to 6800rpm.On a race you just roll a higher gear". My point is that i dont want to have to hit 3500 rpms to get full boost, and i dont plan on hitting 6800rpms driving around town. For a DD that also hauls ***, i would want the turbo to kick in almost immediately or have a P.D. blower. I want to push the peddle down a bit while cruising and instantly accelerate and pass cars, without downshiftingto get higher rpms.

Just my personal preference for a street car, ya know?
I am sure you know what you are doing, and could set up a sick car. Hope you enjoy your ride.
I like all types of FI...if you want pd then go twin screw the eatons suck if you want to make real good power...btw my car makes boost as soon as you press the gas, no lag...but on my car there is a problem...traction....

Quick Reply: What would you consider a perfect daily driven FI car?