Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Damaged oem crank nose from blower drive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:12 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Location: Tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch, maybe!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Damaged oem crank nose from blower drive?

Anyone have any info on this?

I am looking to turn up the wick with my 3.3L whipple. I am getting ready to put my forged engine together and want to stay stock cube if possible, but am concerned that if I need to go to extremely high boost, that the oem cast crank NOSE may not hold up.

I've heard rumors of some big centris causing damage, but no more than hearsay.

My blower can pump over 1500 cfm, 30+ psi and can take 150 hp to drive it.

I already have an ati damper and will be also be doing some work to prevent head lifting (Dart 225's)

Anyone know the scoop?

Thanks in advance

rjw
Old 08-29-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is ironic that you post this up now. I just destroyed my crank snout about 4 days ago. If you pin your crank you should be fine. My crank pulley spun on the snout and ground down the crank. I am looking for a new shortblock now.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:00 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Location: Tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch, maybe!!

Originally Posted by jasond26
It is ironic that you post this up now. I just destroyed my crank snout about 4 days ago. If you pin your crank you should be fine. My crank pulley spun on the snout and ground down the crank. I am looking for a new shortblock now.
Sorry about your meltdown...but I am well beyond that.

I had a simlar problem when I was NA hce...seems like a well known tuner didn't get it quite right and my crank bolt backed out, then the damper. Thankfully I caught it in time and avoided the big Kaboom.

I had amagie kit, so I replaced installed and pinned a new damper and haven't had a problem since.

Thanks tho

i am concerned with my new build, in that my blower can take up to 150 hp to drive and I've seen a much smaller blower bend a simliar dimension forged crank when it locked up.

So, I am really looking for feedback from maybe some BIG centri guys who really turned up the wick with a stock cast crank.

thx