Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Paxton S/C Severe Whining??? Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paxton S/C Severe Whining??? Help

So I took my car to work on Friday and on my way home I heard what was at first a small whine. By the time i got home it turned into a full out choke a kitten w/ two hands whining that could probably be heard for a couple blocks around When i push the gas the whining gets louder when i lay off the gas it goes away. The boost continued to show and i checked the fuel line pumping into the S/C and it was pumping oil into it fine. I had a buddy who works at Chevy listen to it and he said maybe the bearings???

If anyone could give me some insight as to why this horrible horrible noise is coming from it that would be great. As of right now i know something sounds really wrong... Its a Paxton SN 2000 fyi. thx in advance.

Rick
Old 09-08-2007, 08:19 PM
9 Second Club

If you could post a video and let us hear it that would help. My buddies novi wines alot.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it's the blower whining? I've seen a bad idler bearing or alternator do the same thing. Get one of those cheap mechanic's stethoscope probes and probe around. If it is the blower, I wouldn't run it at all until you inspect it. With the belt off, does it dpin easily? Otherwise, you may need to take off the belt and check everything that spins - idler, tensioner, alt, etc.

Jim
Old 09-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Teching In

I'll take a voice clip w/ my digital camera tomorrow and try to post it or send it to one of u all to hear. I know what a "whine" should sound like but this shish can probably honestly be heard from at least 5 blocks away and NOT in a good way... sux i'll get a clip up tomorrow thx.

Rick
Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

I suspect the SN2000 is a ball drive blower. I have an SN93 on my '92 Z28 and it did the same thing twice on me. Loud whining coming from the blower.

It could be the bearings, races, or possibly the ball drive unit itself. Paxton no longer supports the SN series blowers. Paradise Wheels in California bought the rights and all of Paxtons remaining inventory years ago.

http://www.paradisewheelsinc.com/

The link above should get you set up. You can also by the parts separate from them and rebuild yourself. Its not that difficult.

Hope this helps you out.

R/

Frat

Edit: Sometimes Paradise Wheels will sell rebuild kits on Ebay.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

So....any updates?
Old 09-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Teching In

sorry! Called Paradise Wheels told him the early signs and he new right away what it was. Seems my bearings are shot and the blower needs a rebuild So no i have to either A send them my blower and they will rebuild it for me, break it in, repolish and give me a 6month unlimited warranty on it for $700 OR get the kit for $450 and do it myself...Either way i'm boned but at least when its said n done i'll have a "like" new set up we shall c. thanks for the links and advice men

Rick
Old 09-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Launching!

spend the 700 and get the warranty....

Quick Reply: Paxton S/C Severe Whining??? Help