Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

some turbo Q's(turbo gurus welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some turbo Q's(turbo gurus welcome)

i need some general info concerning turbo characteristics so that i am better informed to make decisions on my future build. i have a low mile lt1 im looking to use. i need to know if its ok to run non-wastegated turbos on the street or if there is anything to look out for. also, is it ok to have quick spooling turbos on the street,meaning will i still have a top end with boost coming on down low or will it fall on its face at higher rpms?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need alot more info on your build. As far as the wastegate's go I would either make sure it has an internal wastegate or get an external one if you have room for it. Otherwise you will have no way to regulate the amount of boost from the turbo.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

can you put an external wastegate on any turbo? the ones im looking at are t3/t4s that dont have them internal or external right now. on the motor i was going to have the 4 bolt main conversion and the pistons and rods swapped & try to run the stock crank unless im told thats a VERY bad idea.im hoping to drop the compression somewhere between 8:1 to 9.5:1. im also curious if LE2 heads would be a good choice for forced induction.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your turbo dosn't have a internal wastegate then yes, It is highly recomended that you use a external wastegate. I am not familiar with the LT motor's, so I can't help you there. Compression ratio about 9.1 should be good !
Old 09-21-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is still not enough info for what your asking. Sounds like you are pretty new to forced induction. I am not flaming on you, so please don't get me wrong here. I would sugest taking our time before selecting your turbo. Read (study) this forum every day, and I promise you will learn that there is alot more to your question and the answers then you expect. There are alot of very well educated and experenced forced induction people here (I am not one of them) that you will learn alot from. All of whom will help you. Hang in there and you will be pleased. Good luck. Please give more insight to what you are trying to do and what you want to do.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

i hear you texas_ws6.i will give as much info as i can and hopefully some more people will chime in. my goals for the car are really just to have a very streetable turbo setup if possible. a daily driver with great average power and torque.i am new to forced induction in the sense that i havent been around many FI setups in person.i mainly asked about the turbos themselves bc i have a good idea of other aspects and supporting mods...they are garret t3/t4 turbos with 60trim compressors and 2 1/2" inlets and 2" outlets.im not going to usethe stock cpu.id like to go with a fast xfi or big stuff and i think that will let me get rid of the opti as well... i am serious about this.it is something i want to do so if you guys tell me what info you need to give me some help and insight ill tell you.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of Crank HP do you want? How fast do you want the power to come on and to what is the expected Max RPM? I am personaly building a rear mount set up with a 76GTSH Turbo from Forced Induction. They are a sponsor and can be found on the right. They are highly recomended.

You will also have to decide what you are willing to get rid of in order to place the turbo, if you are going to, under the hood with them. Thats the main reason I decided on a single rear mount. I am the origanal owner of my 02 WS6 and all origanal equipment (ei. air conditioning, power steering) must continue to work in my car. Ground clearence is an issue, but I will remove both of my weld in subframe connectors, seal them up and provide inlet and outlet flanges for the return air, and relocate my alternator so I can bring the return air up over the k-member at that point. These things will help to reduce any ground clearence issues. If you already have the turbos, you said they had 60 trim compressor wheels but what is the turbine housing AR? You will need that info as well. Is the engine a stock cubed 350? What cam are you running? Do you plan on buying building custom turbo headers or running manifolds? The power you are trying to achieve will also dictate the fuel system mods you will need to feed it. Are you going to kep the Cats? If so were do you plan to place them, before or after the turbo. What is you planned budget and expected completion date? I found some very good literature in book form that you can get. I think one of the members here wrote it. If it is not against forum policy I will post a link to were you can buy it. I have no idea the rules on that kind of stuff. Maybe someone can let me know first.

I guess we need more info please, and please please, take your time and ask lots of question before you start building or buying. I know there are Turbo Gods in here that will help you. Again, I am also a FI beginner, but what have learned so far is ask lots of question and find out who to trust.