Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twins location in an f-body. Starting to brainstorm new set up

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 06:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Twins location in an f-body. Starting to brainstorm new set up

Hey everyone, just trying to get some opinions from you guys. Right now im getting a little tired of the cons that come with my twin kit. the no AC is pissing me off a bit. Anyway i want to gear my car more towards a 100% street car for next summer. It still was a total street car this summer but i didnt drive it as much as usual due to no AC and not being real enjoyable in the hot summer months, etc. So i am brainstorming a new set up.

I like the new BMR turbo k-member. Im thinking that in addition to a C6 manifold on passenger side and i will snake pipes around the AC compressor. How the other issue i am coming into is a mounting location for the turbos. There arent many options for twins that will gravity drain and keep AC. Mostly up and center with rad moved forward totally or rad moved up a bit and place the turbos out in the battery and fuse box compartments. However i think i might run into an issue with how far i can move the stock rad forward with the AC condensor on it as well..... So what do ya think, any opinions as to a solid place to mount these 2 suckers, will be staying T3 so that will help some. I want to keep them in front of the engine....

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed

Last edited by Superman09; 09-27-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Word. I'm doing the same thing. I'm going to buy a BMR turbo Kmember and do twin61s now. I'm gonna drop A/C anyways for now, I might put it in my new project car, the 86 GT that's getting my LS1 and T76

Also getting rid of the oil pump, I hate that thing too. Plus you're relying on it not to go out or else your turbo seals go

I'm going to cut my cross section out to stand a nice new radiator straight up so I can put the turbos up top to gravity drain into my timing cover like the big boys do it.
I'm gonna try to keep my A/C as long as possible but it's not gonna last for long I don't think. Plus it's almost winter
Old 09-24-2007, 06:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Probly cheaper to sell your kit and go with an APS kit.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:43 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk

Thats what I was thinking....
Old 09-24-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I agree as well. Get on board with their deal that ends next month. Your kit can sell pretty quick I'm sure. APS will be the answer!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Dont want APS, no offense but i dont like the turbos in that location and i hate the fact that you can hardly hear any turbo noise in their kit. Plus i like the fact of my intercooler up front and i already have my WGs, BOV, intercooler, oil lines, flanges, turbos, etc. WIll be easy to just redo pipes. I want my turbos seen in the engine bay being a street car. Where do you think is a good place to mount em?

Old 09-24-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Superman09
Dont want APS, no offense but i dont like the turbos in that location and i hate the fact that you can hardly hear any turbo noise in their kit. Plus i like the fact of my intercooler up front and i already have my WGs, BOV, intercooler, oil lines, flanges, turbos, etc. WIll be easy to just redo pipes. I want my turbos seen in the engine bay being a street car. Where do you think is a good place to mount em?
one up top with the compressor air filter where the battery goes in the stock location. the other one where the fuse boxes normally go. Pretty normal spot, not too difficult, just gotta put your fuses in the wheel well and the battery in the back.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

How much of a job is moving the fuse boxes? Where exactly are you guys moving them? And in that spot, the rad must be moved forward or else i guess you could leave the rad but would have a fun time with the upper hose and ABS. Anyone know how much you can move the stock rad forward with AC condensor on the front of it?

Old 09-24-2007, 08:01 PM
Banned

How about adding a Magnacharger? They sound pretty cool. Simple too.

I'm saving my pennies to put a Kenne Bell on my 'Vette.

I love that blower whine!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Nah, im staying twins. I have all the goodies, just want to re-do my kit. Im really liking the idea of turbos in each corner like Tiago and Fitz, but whats required to move the fuse boxes and what do you do with overflow/cold pipes off turbo?

Old 09-24-2007, 08:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WestSide
Word. I'm doing the same thing. I'm going to buy a BMR turbo Kmember and do twin61s now. I'm gonna drop A/C anyways for now, I might put it in my new project car, the 86 GT that's getting my LS1 and T76

Also getting rid of the oil pump, I hate that thing too. Plus you're relying on it not to go out or else your turbo seals go

I'm going to cut my cross section out to stand a nice new radiator straight up so I can put the turbos up top to gravity drain into my timing cover like the big boys do it.
I'm gonna try to keep my A/C as long as possible but it's not gonna last for long I don't think. Plus it's almost winter
Twin61's work great! If it was me you know where I would put the turbo's!Up high!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea, but where up high is the question. A good spot is hard to find and usually requires a lot of modifying. The thought of Procharger is also crossing my mind just for ease of use and reliability, etc. I dont know.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Procharger is a good option and can make plenty of power and is upgradeable!
That is the problem with turbo's is there is not to many place's to put them unless you are willing to cut the car up a little or move stuff !
Old 09-24-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nah, im staying twins. I have all the goodies, just want to re-do my kit. Im really liking the idea of turbos in each corner like Tiago and Fitz, but whats required to move the fuse boxes and what do you do with overflow/cold pipes off turbo?
Dont know about the fuse boxes but cant be that hard. The coolant overflow bottle can be thrown away. Get a recirculating catch can and mount it somewhere else. That would be cheap and easy.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

move you rad forward and make it look similar to stinode's kit that how i have mine
i wish i had some pics on the net but im slakin!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

put the bat. in the trunk and your good
Old 09-25-2007, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how about at the rear.........i'll get my coat! lol

Chris.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, but where up high is the question. A good spot is hard to find and usually requires a lot of modifying. The thought of Procharger is also crossing my mind just for ease of use and reliability, etc. I dont know.
This is what you need to do. Found the pics in the sticky up top in the truck manifolds flipped forward kit thread.

Cut your cross supper, stand a nice new radiator straight up where the cross section went. Have 1x1 square tube welded onto the cross section to keep the stability that works just fine. Look at the pics closely.

I'm going to drop A/c and try to fit it in later after I get the setup running. I can probably fit a small condensor somewhere in the front of the radiator somehow...I just know it. Gonna figure something out. Buying a welder soon to do my own work from here on out. No more waiting on other people, other than shipping endless parts Oh well, it's my life. What do you think? Would any of this work for your setup? You have all of winter and spring to figure the A/C ordeal out. We need the new BMR turbo KMembers soon! The downpipes could go through the extra space on those kmembers, since the truck manifolds (and maybe a c6 mani on the pass side)sit up higher. We can make this work.

Matt
Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

See the only issue i see with that is moving the rad forward. Its not moving it forward thats the problem, its moving it forward and fitting my AC back in front of it that would be the problem. Right now im seriously thinking of switching to a procharger. It seems the most sensible considering what i want. 4xx cubes and F1a might sound nice

Old 09-25-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well if you do go procharger, which isn't a bad way to go at all, let me grab dibs on sime of your stuff that is turbo only!

Quick Reply: Twins location in an f-body. Starting to brainstorm new set up