Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo car leaves like a n20 car leaving on 200 shot reverse progressive ramping

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo car leaves like a n20 car leaving on 200 shot reverse progressive ramping

This isnt a LS1 car (turbo SBF foxbody mustang), but I came up with an idea a few months ago for a guys turbo stang that had all kinds of issue with off line boost and blowing the tires off or leaving like a pig. I thought of a nitrous setup that would possibly work different than typical.

1) just spraying it out of the hole and having it shutoff on a hobbs switch of a certain about of boost would cause the car to possibly unload the tires basically shutting off 150-200 rwhp instantly when it shut off, plus you had to have it shut off too early because you could spray that much on much boost.

2) <--the idea that worked. Setup the car to leave like a nitrous car. Pull up to the lights pre-stage, stage on the trans brake on a really low 2-step (2500rpm) and you get minimal boost and setup the nitrous relay to hit on the transbrake release. This can be done fast like any nitrous car. Its currently spraying 200 rwhp through a EFI fogger

Then when the car leaves, I have the NX NXD5000 boost reference nitrous controller ramping down the nitrous as boost comes on, till its shuts off at full boost...

Now the car leaves wheels up, consistant and crazy hard like a nitrous car. It did take a few passes to get it right..

Combo:
306" build small block ford /w 76GTS turbo running 24 psi
C4 /w trans brake & two step
built 8.8, good supsension yada yada...

Before: The car had to go through this really long pre-stage spooling process everytime if he wanted to car to leave on any kind of boost and just not come out as a total slug. It was inconsistant and usually annoyed the other driver because it took like 10 seconds to get in the lights for it to be up on boost.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Awesome info thanks
Old 09-27-2007, 12:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That works for Braket racing and TNT nights, but if you are class racing 2 power adders is nt going to happen.

Instead of investing in full nitrous setup plus controler why not by an exile system or a AMS1000 and have full control of your boost at all times.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:06 PM
9 Second Club

add a WG to the cold side piping....
Old 09-27-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cablebandit
add a WG to the cold side piping....
how does that work? WG restricts airflow, building boost, then opens at small spring pressure to give engine positive pressure?
Old 09-27-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not a waist gate, but an large air valve. Some guys run them, closing them causes a vacuum on the turbo thus making spoolibg it easier. At the release of the trans brake the valve flops open giving the turbo air, and instant boost, because it already has the wheel speed up.

I like nitrous and turbos, they are perfect for each other, screw rules. I like the ramp down idea too, for a max effort car.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

I agree, nitrous and turbo work great together, and I have some experience with turbo's and nitrous.

A friend of mine runs an 89 Conquest with a 2.0l 4G63 / Powerglide combo. I do all the setup and tuning for him. It's a PT70GTQ turbo with direct port.

It will not leave without the nitrous, doesn't stall up, doesn't even flash, and won't make any boost till about 200'. However using a shot, between 100-150 we can sit on the trans break and launch at whatever boost level and whatever RPM we want, it makes the launches VERY consistent. We usually set the 2 step to 4500rpm and launch boost to 24psi, then ramp it up over the first 100'

However, we don't ramp out the N20. Sometimes he will turn it off if he is way out ahead, but usually not. In the classes he runs there are no power adder restrictions, so it's not an issue.

Generally we ramp the car to 30psi boost, and it run's 9 teens, on 36psi it runs 8.8-9.0.

Here's a couple videos:
http://dsmvideo.vidiac.com/category/...b5000baf55.htm

http://dsmvideo.vidiac.com/category/...8300ec5ae7.htm

http://dsmvideo.vidiac.com/category/...Conquest/0.htm
I also used nitrous on my old GSX on top of boost. That car wasn't nearly as fast or consistent, probably the driver's fault

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Cool, I like innovative thinking. I'm thinking of doing something like that with my centri-blown car.

Jim
Old 09-27-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

That sounds like a stout setup you have their
Old 09-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by .ALEX.
That works for Braket racing and TNT nights, but if you are class racing 2 power adders is nt going to happen.

Instead of investing in full nitrous setup plus controler why not by an exile system or a AMS1000 and have full control of your boost at all times.

Thats a nice way of doing it another way, but this worked great for *this* application....you could probably start another post on one of the other methods that works for you.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

how long would a setup like that last? is a 200shot plus boost bad on your motor?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by .ALEX.

Sorry but im with Alex....... this is the correct way..... esp with CO2 on the WG.
Control the boost that you have instead of adding another power adder to the case....

Part of me doesnt understand your problem though.....

Why add a 200 hit off the line and on the TB... why not just use the boost.....

Most dont have a problem building ALOT of Boost on the transbrake...... its the amount of time it takes to build it they have a problem with and they use a small shot to spool the car fastong at the line....
I know on mine the difference between leaving the line @ 5 psi and 10 psi is a world of difference...... shooting for 15 psi on the brake and 2 step this yr

Thats another reason people use a 2 step.....

Im glad your way works and it may help others..... but like alex said it would never fly in any racing event.

Kyle
Old 09-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Class restrictions become a huge hurdle to overcome for many people. Might be interesting on more of a street/strip car.

Also.... Our car hits 11 psi in 1.8 secounds on the transbrake anyways with a T88, Its all in the tune IMO.

If anyone has the fast XFI try ramping out timing progressively using the power adder control function while the car is on the transbrake. Interesting and loud things occur.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by turbodiesel
Class restrictions become a huge hurdle to overcome for many people. Might be interesting on more of a street/strip car. But even then on a streetcar people will be commenting on having two poweradders (I know it sounds silly, but 90% of people who have a fast streetcar take pride in it and in a lesser percentage may hit the streets with it every once and a while)

Also.... Our car hits 11 psi in 1.8 secounds on the transbrake anyways with a T88, Its all in the tune IMO.

I hear ya man..... ive seen small cubed motors with twin 88's hit from 15 on the TB to 30 psi in .7 of a secound..... with the AMS1000 and CO2 on the WG.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:17 PM
9 Second Club

i have been hearing the co2 for the wastegates, how does this help build boost faster? by keeping the wastegate completely closed?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by lteone
i have been hearing the co2 for the wastegates, how does this help build boost faster? by keeping the wastegate completely closed?
yeah it uses positive pressure on the piston/diaphragms of the waste gate keeping it closed. you just have to be careful and make sure the the wastegate is rated for C02 of you will kill the diaphragm.

Usually there is no worry with a Piston type like JGS or the Large race 60mm wastegates.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Great idea, thanks for sharing it.

Originally Posted by LSInnovations
Combo:
306" build small block ford /w 76GTS turbo running 24 psi
C4 /w trans brake & two step
built 8.8, good supsension yada yada...

How does this car run with this combo? Just curious.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fryguy302
Great idea, thanks for sharing it.

How does this car run with this combo? Just curious.

Raj, I thought your car ran just fine the way it was...??????

Quick Reply: Turbo car leaves like a n20 car leaving on 200 shot reverse progressive ramping