Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LT1 & V1: how do i install this oil feed and drain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 & V1: how do i install this oil feed and drain?

I bought this V1 as a kit a few months ago... Well the guy told me that it had a newer style feed and drain kit which in turn would make my install easier than running a feed from the block and drain into the pan. In theory it sounds great, and the sender looks nice, it just looks like ill be having to use a smaller oil filter... I dunno im lost... one oil ports say "in" and the other says "out". i have no clue where this should go, or how it fits. Anyone have this same style feed and drain? Any help is appreciated... this is the last piece of the puzzle and im ready!!!

-Justin
Old 10-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Launching!

BTW: im sorry if i should put this in the LT1-LT4 section...

-justin
Old 10-21-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All that is is a remote oil filter mount. It could mount anywhere in the engine compartment. It could be used prior the the V1 to filter oil before feeding the blower, or if you had space problems for some reason and couldn't use a regular filter in the normal spot you could run the remote mount.

There is nothing in this piece that will help get oil drained back from your blower back into the oilpan, sorry.

You need to tap your pan using the Vortech instructions - not hard BTW, or get an oilpan with a return bung welded in in the correct spot.

If you want more info on that piece you are holding, check at the Transdapt site or at Cantonracing.com, oil filter adapters.

Jim
Old 10-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DeltaT
All that is is a remote oil filter mount. It could mount anywhere in the engine compartment. It could be used prior the the V1 to filter oil before feeding the blower, or if you had space problems for some reason and couldn't use a regular filter in the normal spot you could run the remote mount.

There is nothing in this piece that will help get oil drained back from your blower back into the oilpan, sorry.

You need to tap your pan using the Vortech instructions - not hard BTW, or get an oilpan with a return bung welded in in the correct spot.

If you want more info on that piece you are holding, check at the Transdapt site or at Cantonracing.com, oil filter adapters.

Jim
Thanks man, that clears alot up. Ive read about tapping the pan and from what ive read, i cant just pull the pan off and get the bung welded on. I hear the to get the pan off you have to lift the motor up!

or am i wrong?

-justin
Old 10-21-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

So here's a shot of the front of my pan with bungs I had Canton installed custom:

I don't think you could do any welding with the pan still on.

But the Vortech site, I believe, has pictures of how to hammer a large punch through a certain spot on your pan, then pack a tap with grease (to hold any metal shavings) to tap the hole and get it ready for a return fitting. I've known a bunch of people that have done it successfully without removing the pan.

I know the Vortec site, in the Tech section, has instructions you can DL on almost all their kits. I'd start there. Should have pix and diagrams on where to do the hole.

Then all you do after is change the oil and add a magnetic drainplug and hook stuff up, tune and let 'er rip.

BTW, if you decide to use that remote filter mount, if you have space, replace those tight 90-degree fittings with fittings that have a nice radius in them - those things suck up oil pressure bigtime.

Jim

My Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html
Old 10-22-2007, 04:32 AM
Launching!

Wow, thanks again. I already Dl’d the instructions on the install. I guess ill go ahead and try it with those instructions. Im just really worried about shavings…

-justin
Old 10-22-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

If you follow the process I've never heard anyone have a problem.

Jim

Quick Reply: LT1 & V1: how do i install this oil feed and drain?