Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what would be louder a F1A or D-1SC at the same boost any way to make quieter

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what would be louder a F1A or D-1SC at the same boost any way to make quieter

Ok just trying to learn if there on the same motor pushing the same boost which means f1a will be spinning at lower speed cause it flows more air. will one be louder then other? why is that? if there a difference Is there any way to hide the sound of a supercharger or at least lower it? not at wide open but 2000/2500rpms and lower. wrapping inlet pipes with a sound deadener or is the sound coming right from the air filter?

Last edited by BigRich954RR; 01-12-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
Ok just trying to learn if there on the same motor pushing the same boost which means f1a will be spinning at lower speed cause it flows more air. will one be louder then other? why is that? if there a difference Is there any way to hide the sound of a supercharger or at least lower it? not at wide open but 2000/2500rpms and lower. wrapping inlet pipes with a sound deadener or is the sound coming right from the air filter?
F1A is considerably louder than a D1... IMO an F1A is literally ear piercing... I finally heard an F1A in Memphis (kp)...

I run a D1SC and i can hear it, but my exhaust is pretty hefty so when I slap my F1_ on I'm sure the blower will drown the exhaust out!

Jay
Old 01-12-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

my best buddy has the f1 installed on his lt1 camaro , i havent heard it run yet but i have the d1 on mine and its loud as hell.. you can hear it blocks away at 25 mph lol let me tell you, it grabs too much attention. i went home over thanksgiving break and took my car out.. 4 days of driving.... got pulled over 4 times, little town, cops have nothing better to do. gave me exhaust tickets even tho its the damn procharger thats loud. but he says the f1 is a little louder at idle and throttle
Old 01-12-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

i just wrote a whole thing about what one is louder, lol read your comment wrong " bigrich " sorry
Old 01-12-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

i dont have a clue on how to make it quieter!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:43 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had not tried wrapping the inlet and outlet plumbing on an F-1A to see if it would help at all, but it may. Bob
Old 01-12-2008, 06:06 AM
kp
8 Second Club

You could cover up the inlet completely and it wont make it any quieter. Its the gears in the transmission that make most of the noise. Some are just louder than others, my D1 you cant even hear over the exhaust and the F1A I cant even put my head under the hood.

Slowing the F1A down wont help the noise much, matter of fact the slower it is the louder it is to me.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:19 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by kp
You could cover up the inlet completely and it wont make it any quieter. Its the gears in the transmission that make most of the noise. Some are just louder than others, my D1 you cant even hear over the exhaust and the F1A I cant even put my head under the hood.

Slowing the F1A down wont help the noise much, matter of fact the slower it is the louder it is to me.
Yeah, I was thinking that the transmission noise may transmit out through the plastic more than it actually does through the thicker blower case. My wife thinks the sound the F-1A makes is cool, which is good for me! lol Bob
Old 01-12-2008, 07:54 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish my F1 was lounder. I wonder if the F1A is louder than my F1? I love the sound of the whistle
Old 01-12-2008, 10:34 AM
8 Second Club

I think it's just the way the oil slinger now sits ontop of the impellar bearing instead being in the case. Therefore the case on the P1/D1 is absorbing the nosie but not on a F series. Oh well-for what the F series do over the P/D-bring on the noise!
Old 01-12-2008, 11:39 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Yeah, I was thinking that the transmission noise may transmit out through the plastic more than it actually does through the thicker blower case. My wife thinks the sound the F-1A makes is cool, which is good for me! lol Bob
When i used to use an open trailer I'd take off the inlet and put a rubber cap over the blower in case it would rain, i'd forget and drive it with the cap on and it was no quieter.

its the luck of the draw on these, just like a camshaft gear drive you can get an extra noisy pete jackson that will wake the dead or you can get one with a adjustable idler like a milodon and make it dead quiet. I have heard quiet F1s and insanely loud P1SCs, some people like the sound some hate it..
Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Not sure you can run a blower without blower noise I found the D1SC gets much louder when RPMs drop under 1200 rpm. The police don't expect the noise to be comin from a 4 door taxi cab/old cop car I've had some great conversations at road blocks/safety checks especially with the older cops that drove Chevys. Tell them its a power steering pump going bad with a big smile. They love it. The T56 is just icing on the cake.

Last edited by fasst94impala; 01-13-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love the sound of a F14 wait i mean supercharger. Im just trying to keep the sound of O My GOD what is he running down a little. Hell after i did my headers and 3 inch exhaust. I forgot what doorbell are people front doors are just always opening for me when i get there. Im thinking cops are just barely let it go in some of the small towns i go to. (F1A I cant even put my head under the hood.) just makes me think i might want to try and hide the sound a little.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:03 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

I'll trade you that F1A for my F1- it is not as loud as the F1A videos I have seen
Old 01-14-2008, 02:54 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
I'll trade you that F1A for my F1- it is not as loud as the F1A videos I have seen

Where are some FIA videos to view? I'm curious now. My F1 doesn't seem loud to me.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:15 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well I'll tell you what mine has and is doing. When I got the car the F1 was LOUD AS HELL! I rebuld everything as while it was out I was changing the oil and well saw all of the metal shavings it was alot and so after talking to ATI. I flushed it out with my parts washer just pumped it though and washed all the metal out and man it was a lot! Then blew it out dried it refilled it and man the noise was atleast half as loud and when I installed my air filter assyembly it as a lot quieter I am guessing that the gear noise is traveling through the inlet and when I installed the air filter it was noticebly quieter, but you are not going to sneek up on anyone for sure LOL! I think the reason the F1 series blowers are going to be louder is the stepup ratio, but I could be wrong maybe it is like eb02zo6 said the oilers or a combination. And just so you know it wasn't just me my friends said it right away "Damn that thing got quiet!" I was kinda dissapointed and then well it wouldn't be as noticeable so that made me a little happier???

Quick Reply: what would be louder a F1A or D-1SC at the same boost any way to make quieter