Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Got the car running on 96lb/hr injectors and Megasquirt 2

Old 01-12-2008, 09:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Got the car running on 96lb/hr injectors and Megasquirt 2

I started wiring and installing my Megasquirt 2 ECU last weekend and fired it up for the first time tonight. Right now I only have it taking control of the fuel but will have it doing ignition timing in the future. I decided to go to 96lb/hr injectors because I have completely maxxed ( 100% Duty cycle )out my 62lb/hr injectors with 65 PSI of rail pressure and 15psi of boost. I could have upped the fuel pressure but prefer to do it this way since lower pressure = more flow from the pumps.

The ECU is pretty easy to install but you definately want to take your time creating the wiring harness. The Megsquirt info can be a little difficult to track down, but is all available. I'm really impressed with this so far. 15 mins after firing it up I had it idling well and was able to drive it around my block because it's simple to tune and done in real time.

After reading and seeing the success that Parish8 has had I figured this was a good way to go to address my tuning issues. I've tuned on stand alones before and love the ability to tun in real time.

Mods, I posted this in this section because a lot of the people interested in stand alone ECUs are forced induction.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading up on the Spectre 7100 EMS unit. It is MegaSquirt based and seems to fit the Bill for my current and future plans With full standalone capabilities. Of course I will keep the Stock PCM to control the guages and such. How is the software? You have any screenshots you could post?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:16 AM
10 Second Club

I'd suggest downloading the package from DIYAutotune and looking at the different ones out there. I'm using the MS2Extra 1.0.2 firmware which gives me a bunch of other options once I add on to the ECU some more. The MS2 I got pre-built but it needs some minor electronic work to do spark control and added features like traction control, 2-step, boost control etc, but they are very simple for me to do (i've been doing electronics as a hobby for over 20 years).

The Spectre is probably the easiest route to go since everything is done for you and all you need to do is wire it up. The only possible downside to it is it is a Megasquirt 1 ECU and unless they made some changes, it could have issues controlling huge injectors at idle due to having less resolution. Parish8 has been using his MS1 and same injectors as me without issues though but we are only running 96lb/hr. I decided to go MS2 because I saw the mods need to get it running were very simple and is super cheap, entire MS2 setup + new injectors only cost me about $1200 total including all the extra junk i've bought to install it like relays and wire.

I love the software so far, very simple and lots of features. I'm pretty shocked at how advanced it has gotten. I've followed the MS project since they started it. They just about have a sequential fuel and spark ecu for release as well.

I'm trying to get my setup working so that it works in tandem with the stock ecu so it still passes emissions inspection.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Banned

I like the Spectre 7100 do the fact it was done. I am no electronics guy at all. I would screw it up if I had to add something to it. I dont plan to need anything larger than 96lb injectors. I am doing a street/strip car with a emphasis on the street this time around. I will take a look at all of them though.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Banned

How hard it is to wire up? I dont really have anything but time as far as that goes. I just dont want to get in over my head, and I dont want to spend $2200+ for the BS3 or FAST XFI. I have already had both on previous cars.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Keep us updated. We have it really easy in the LS1 world, but some of my buddies in the dodge community would kill for a way to tune their motors. If MS gets the ignition timing to work like their fuel control, I feel they may get a lot of business in the near future.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP
How hard it is to wire up? I dont really have anything but time as far as that goes. I just dont want to get in over my head, and I dont want to spend $2200+ for the BS3 or FAST XFI. I have already had both on previous cars.
The spectre should have the same number of wires to hookup as I had on mine. My harness has 18 wires total. It's absolute cake to wire it up, just takes time. I'm into my wiring/install about 15-20 hrs total because I went really slow, built an entire new injector harness so I didn't have to hack up the factory one. I crimped all my connections well, then heat shrinked them, installed all wiring into split loom tubing and then electrical taped most of it shut. Takes time but creates a very nice harness that is easy to assemble and modify in the future if need be.

Originally Posted by gametech
Keep us updated. We have it really easy in the LS1 world, but some of my buddies in the dodge community would kill for a way to tune their motors. If MS gets the ignition timing to work like their fuel control, I feel they may get a lot of business in the near future.
The timing is already working and there are a few LS1's powered setups running around using the stock 24 tooth crank and 1 tooth cam sensor. If I get my setup working really well and there seems to be some interest, i've thought about selling MSII units and a custom harness with detailed instructions on how to install and setup a LS1 based MSII. Of course I have to get my own setup working perfect first, i've tuned it for a whopping 15 mins and drove it around the block, I need more experience on it lol. I'm going to share all the details of my success/failures as i'm going though so others can replicate it if they want.

I have a thread in the PCM tuning section if you want to check it out, not much posting to it but lots of reads it seems.

Last edited by Zombie; 01-13-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:59 AM
10 Second Club

Glad it's working out, i was going with the MS as well until my tuner (which bought it based on Parish as well) tried it and sent his back, don't know why though. All I really need is an Inj impedeance box now, but I really like the live tuning of the MS which reads in real AFR and has a built in MAP sensor and I believe you can get a boost comtroller to. Keep us posted as you go please.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Banned

After looking at the DIY website, and spendind the better part of 3 hours reading up on the setup I may just buy a MS2 kit. I really dont mind letting the factory PCM control the timming. That is until one of the smarter MS users figure out a fool proof way to allow MS to controll it. My new shop car is gonna be a NA setup for the time being. May see some Nitrous. In which case the MSD LS1 programable ignition controller would work great. I just dont see the piont in the MSD controller when the Factory PCM is gonna be there anyway for the guages and everything else.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you guy's buy it just for fuelling control or for the other features?

I ask because we run a few car with drivers/96lbers and have no problem tuning them in,even 14.7-1 idles.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Slowhawk

I ask because we run a few car with drivers/96lbers and have no problem tuning them in,even 14.7-1 idles.
I am seriously looking at it for the fueling right now. Timming down the road. And eventually my Shop Car will have another turbo setup. So the Real Time tunning plays a big role in my decision. I have had GEN 7 DFI, FAST XFI/XIM, BS3, HPTuners, AEM, and EFI Live/RR. The only one I didnt run on an LS1 car was the AEM. Sold the car.

The way I see it is why spend $2200+ for the others to have to spend another $700+ to keep the guages and such, When I can spend maybe $1000 give or take $200 to do the same thing? They are all proven up to this point. I guess you can see when it come to tunning software I like to try new things.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Cool stuff! What all does your fuel system consist of Zombie?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 01-13-2008, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Superman09
Cool stuff! What all does your fuel system consist of Zombie?
dual intank walbros and 96lb/hr injectors.

Originally Posted by Slowhawk

I went this route because I will have it doing my timing as well. I want to use the 2-step feature built into it. I could have gone with 79lb/hr high impedence injectors and a lingenfelter 2-step, but I would have also had to purchase my own tuning software to go speed density. I have a tuning cable right now but it doesn't have logging ability. I haven't tried SD on the stock ecu, but I have been running 60lb/hr injectors on the normal ECU and I was getting tired of having to adjust my fueling with the weather changes or if some oil got on my MAF. I alos like that the MS units have a wideband feedback ability to tune in closed loop. That will let me improve my gas milage my leaning out my cruise areas. I've never been able to get rid of the richness I get when going off throttle on the stock ecu, got it close, but not as nice as i wanted.

I'm running fuel only on the MS for now, doing it in steps. Factory ECU will always be there since it is awesome at monitoring knock.

Last edited by Zombie; 01-13-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

What do you have for lines and FPR?

Old 01-13-2008, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Superman09
What do you have for lines and FPR?
stock lol. Only fuel mods are injectors and dual intank pumps.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

oh nice! so you dont have a return set up? Hmmm, maybe i dont need to spend as much as i thought i would have to

Old 01-13-2008, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombie
dual intank walbros and 96lb/hr injectors.

I went this route because I will have it doing my timing as well. I want to use the 2-step feature built into it. I could have gone with 79lb/hr high impedence injectors and a lingenfelter 2-step, but I would have also had to purchase my own tuning software to go speed density. I have a tuning cable right now but it doesn't have logging ability. I haven't tried SD on the stock ecu, but I have been running 60lb/hr injectors on the normal ECU and I was getting tired of having to adjust my fueling with the weather changes or if some oil got on my MAF. I alos like that the MS units have a wideband feedback ability to tune in closed loop. That will let me improve my gas milage my leaning out my cruise areas. I've never been able to get rid of the richness I get when going off throttle on the stock ecu, got it close, but not as nice as i wanted.

I'm running fuel only on the MS for now, doing it in steps. Factory ECU will always be there since it is awesome at monitoring knock.
Ok,I'll be looking forward to the results.

So far I keep pushing the factory stuff looking for faults.So far I see no weather change problems when in OLSD when the tune is done right.For now I've only pushed it to the 900rwhp mark.In the future I plan on running stock in my own car till I have problems.That should be well over 1k rwhp.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

After an hour of tuning (by myself, what a PITA) I'm able to run 7psi and drive around between 13.5 and 15.0 AFR and have a 10-11.0 AFR under boost. I'm just running open loop speed density mode right now, no O2 feed back at the moment but it's working great and i've got a rough tune already.

I have to get a friend I trust to drive the car while I tune it or spend some $$ to go to the dyno. I prefer street tuning at this point though.

This thing is great so far!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Banned

After talking with Brian about our cars I am gonna stick with HPT for a while. I have more than one car that needs tunning. MS2 will be on my car before it is all said and done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got the car running on 96lb/hr injectors and Megasquirt 2