Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

once oil passes turbo seal, need to be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default once oil passes turbo seal, need to be replaced?

I searched on the subject and didn't find an answer to this exact question...

I have an issue with a new PT67 turbo; started up my engine and am getting alot of oil (not just smoke) in my downpipe to the point that it pooled on the garage floor out of my cutout... Took things apart and have oil coming out of both the turbine and compressor side. I'm running function 7 oil supply and drain fittings (inlet -3 AN, no restrictor, hole is about 0.16; drain -10 AN).

Question is...once this much oil passes through the center section seals should I just send it in to get checked, or should I bother with trying to restrict the oil flow?

I know many have solved smoking issues with restrictors, but don't know if that would work in this situation.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first thing you need to do is restrict your oil pressure at the turbo,you need to have 15psi at idle and 40psi max.after that see if you have oil leaking out,before i put the vacuum pump on my engine i used to push some serious oil out the turbine seals-which isnt a seal but a metal ring-anyway after putting on the pump it stopped and i never repaired the turbos
Old 01-18-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reply Shawn... I have a feeling the unrestricted line and 45 psi at idle would do the trick as far as pushing as much oil as I'm seeing. I'll try adding a restrictor and see what happens.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take it that this is a journal bearing unit? I work at pte in repairs and we like for the turbo to see what ever oil pressure the engine sees. We don’t like to restrict the oil on journal bearing units. Is the turbo mounted low in the car? Sometimes if it mounted low it will leak because the oil can not return to the engine as easily.. Another thing you might check in your is your crankcase ventilation. If you don’t have proper ventilation the pressures will cause the turbo to leak. Like Shawn said its not really a seal it more like a piston ring and the turbo has to be spinning inorder for it to seal. If you have oil pressure going to it and its not spinning it will leak..Hope this helps you out.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

The turbo is mounted high, above the valve cover so it should have good gravity drain. I put together a pretty good crankcase ventillation system, I'll have to check if it's pulling vacuum where I need it to. Thanks for helping me understand more about how the "seal" works...I've never had one apart so I never really knew how that worked.

One other question, I placed my oil supply line to draw from the lines going to the oil cooler...Would it be better to be on the hot side going to the cooler or the cool side after the cooler? It is an "in radiator" cooler, not external btw.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

The closer to the oil filter the better. The turbo can not handle as much debris as your engine so you want it to be close to the filter as possible. Where are the coolers lines picking the oil up from?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem with my 88 and just put a nitrous jet in as a restrictor. No problems now.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's a factory truck setup...the oil cooler lines come off of a distribution block that mounts to the boss just above the oil filter. I'm pretty sure that the oil is pumped through the filter, through the oil cooler, and back to the engine.

Here's a pick of the boss, without the cooler lines:
Old 01-19-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nossty1
I had the same problem with my 88 and just put a nitrous jet in as a restrictor. No problems now.
Good to hear What size restrictor did you use?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

I had the same problem on my twin turbo stang i use to have. I too just used some nitrous jets as restrictors and never had another problem. The seals seemed to be fine even after pushing oil through them. As long as you don't let it happen for very long the seals should be fine.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I got the supply line fitted with a .075" nitrous jet restrictor and I don't have oil puking out of my downpipe anymore. I'll have to disassemble the downpipe to make sure, but I don't see any smoke from the tailpipe so that's a good sign
Old 09-21-2008, 02:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Bringing this one back up. It looks like I might have oil getting past the front seal (on the inlet side), based on some oil that we are seeing in a vacuum line on the inlet side.

I'm running a GT47-88, -4 feed no restrictor, -10 return. I have two breathers so crankcase ventilation is not a problem.

I'm wondering if I should try to run a scavenge pump like this:

http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pump/E.../Exa-Pump.html

Or do the MM pcv system mods? MM's mods are very doable but I don't want to be sending this turbo out for a new seal after every three passes.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Bringing this one back up. It looks like I might have oil getting past the front seal (on the inlet side), based on some oil that we are seeing in a vacuum line on the inlet side.

I'm running a GT47-88, -4 feed no restrictor, -10 return. I have two breathers so crankcase ventilation is not a problem.

I'm wondering if I should try to run a scavenge pump like this:

http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pump/E.../Exa-Pump.html

Or do the MM pcv system mods? MM's mods are very doable but I don't want to be sending this turbo out for a new seal after every three passes.
John, that's an excellent pump. I know of a few rear-mount guys running it without problems.

-Ronnie
Old 09-21-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

John like spending money?

Just get a restrictor and or go down to a -3an line....so easy even you can do it.
J
Old 09-21-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

John, the restrictor I used helped the situation with regards to oil passing the seal and ending up in the piping (both intake and exhaust) but I continued to have an issue with major smoke in my exhaust on decel after making boost. I ended up having to rework my pcv setup...it turned out one of my hoses was pressurizing the crankcase on decel so I just plugged that one (to the throttle body). Now I just have a line from the pcv valve to an oil collector through a check valve to the intake manifold that will pull vacuum on the crankcase under manifold vacuum and will close under boost. The other line I have going from the passenger side valve cover through a check valve to an inlet between my airfilter and turbo inlet. This hose only flows under boost conditions and will allow me to pull vacuum on the crankcase under boost. I think this is similar to how MM did his. Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbo will not have to be replaced once oil passes the seal. You just need to give it less oil and the leaking will go away.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Cool thanks guys. I'll ask PTE on Monday about restrictors. I've heard there is a restrictor machined into the oil feed inlet on the housing itself but I'll just ask the guys over there.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Cool thanks guys. I'll ask PTE on Monday about restrictors. I've heard there is a restrictor machined into the oil feed inlet on the housing itself but I'll just ask the guys over there.
sound like a good idea let me know what they say.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

It will help significantly. Mike Norris did one for me...ended up going down to a .058 jet, and it cleared up completely.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:50 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I asked around and if it pushes oil past the seals, you can try some fixes and it might be okay. Those fixes might be restricting the oil to 10-15 psi at idle, -12 drain, and also maybe running a vaccuum pump.

Quick Reply: once oil passes turbo seal, need to be replaced?