Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Crazy thoughts in my head (twin turbo Avalanche)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Crazy thoughts in my head (twin turbo Avalanche)

Looking to purchase a 07 Avalanche. Than crazy thoughts of putting my turbos on it! I guess, Parish's truck sticks in my mind. Has anyone done a Avalanche? Anyone know how durable the drive train is? I know its heavy, but I think it would really get up with the turbos on it. It has a 5.3, but I do have my 6.0 I could put in it. I dont want to lose any of the many options that comes with the truck.

Am I just dreaming too much, or would this be trick? ANY info or comments would be appreciated!

Thanks - Ron
Old 02-06-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that project would be pretty sweet,engine bay would be no different than a silverado.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be pretty sick. Why not stroke the 6.0 liter to help get the thing moving?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Teching In

twin are cool but not needed just my .02. Here are some pics to give you some ideas. .

Old 02-06-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trick.Perf.
twin are cool but not needed just my .02. Here are some pics to give you some ideas. .

Those look like my turbos! What you using for headers/manifolds? Yeah I would put a 4" crank in it.

Oh, the its a Flex fuel vehicle also

Anyone know how durable the drive train is? Its also has a automatic setting for 4WD. Doest these have a 4L80E in it? I assume so. But you know what that gets you.

Ron
Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Best bet would be to put a 4l80e in it. The weight and power will destroy even a well built 60 in short order. An eaton posi with the stock gears would be needed also.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A single works just fine for power.Twins are more pimp but bring alot of heat near the computer,steering rack ect.

Forget the tranny,it will **** right away.Will also need to rebuild the rear with a better posi. My tranny lasted a couple of 14psi runs before it went.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Check out the Forced Induction forum on www.performancetrucks.net There might be a few guys over there with turbo Avalanches already.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 511 Likes on 361 Posts

I suppose the Avalanche would be a lot like the Escalade, in which case the transmission will beg for mercy. We had to do a 4l80 upgrade in my neighbor's Escalade with a single gt67 at only about 6-7#'s of boost. Even after doing everything we could to the 4l65, it still snapped the output shaft. Perhaps the STR on the stall converter should have been lower?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So, it comes with a 60? I thought it would come with a 80. Do you need to change the comp. when switching to an 80? This a 4WD, how strong is the transfer case?? Would it need to be upgraded?

What about fuel system upgrades? Would I get buy with just a bigger pump? Could I just use a bigger exturnal pump? I would need larger injectors. Will the stock fuel rails flow enough, or will I need after market ones. I was thinking I COULD use my Victor JR intake setup.

Eaton posi in the rear is all that is needed? What about the drive shaft(s)? Can it be ran in 4WD?

Ron
Old 02-06-2008, 09:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by TT402LS1
So, it comes with a 60? I thought it would come with a 80. Do you need to change the comp. when switching to an 80? This a 4WD, how strong is the transfer case?? Would it need to be upgraded?

What about fuel system upgrades? Would I get buy with just a bigger pump? Could I just use a bigger exturnal pump? I would need larger injectors. Will the stock fuel rails flow enough, or will I need after market ones. I was thinking I COULD use my Victor JR intake setup.

Eaton posi in the rear is all that is needed? What about the drive shaft(s)? Can it be ran in 4WD?

Ron
Looks at my sig

The 4L80 bolts in with the need of a tranny mount relocation and new front/rear shafts.Wiring need to be changed to along with the computer reprogrammed for a 4L80. Took me 6-8hrs to do the swap.Also make sure you get it built too.Mine will chirp all gears including OD now.

I ran 60lb injectors with stock fuel system.I also have a meth kit which I turn on when boost is turned to 14lbs for safety but 7lbs has no meth.Here is the graph to show what 7lbs did on my 5.3 .This is no dyno only #,it was tuned on the street and I made 1 hit on the dyno to see.
Attached Thumbnails Crazy thoughts in my head (twin turbo Avalanche)-dsc03103.jpg  
Old 02-06-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Looks at my sig

The 4L80 bolts in with the need of a tranny mount relocation and new front/rear shafts.Wiring need to be changed to along with the computer reprogrammed for a 4L80. Took me 6-8hrs to do the swap.Also make sure you get it built too.Mine will chirp all gears including OD now.

I ran 60lb injectors with stock fuel system.I also have a meth kit which I turn on when boost is turned to 14lbs for safety but 7lbs has no meth.Here is the graph to show what 7lbs did on my 5.3 .This is no dyno only #,it was tuned on the street and I made 1 hit on the dyno to see.
Is the transfer case strong enough to hold the power? I was thinking of making about 900hp at the flywheel. It would be real cool to make the bitch get up and go! The truck it self is awsome. Drives like a car, and has all the bells and whisles.

Do you run it in 4WD when you race it? I dont know about yours, but this one has a setting for the 4WD to kick in when the rear tires break traction. (auto 4WD)

Hopefully Parish will chime in, his truck is the ****!

Ron
Old 02-06-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 511 Likes on 361 Posts

The transfer case is stronger than the transmission. Even with a 4l80 upgrade, if you keep the stock transfer case, you have to keep the 60 size trans output shaft. It ends up being the fuse in the drivetrain. Otherwise, you have to use a Silverado SS transfer case with a custom machined 80 size input gear. In that case the transfer case will be the weak link/fuse for the driveline. Anything else will delve so far into custom machining that you would already know and not be asking here.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gametech
The transfer case is stronger than the transmission. Even with a 4l80 upgrade, if you keep the stock transfer case, you have to keep the 60 size trans output shaft. It ends up being the fuse in the drivetrain. Otherwise, you have to use a Silverado SS transfer case with a custom machined 80 size input gear. In that case the transfer case will be the weak link/fuse for the driveline. Anything else will delve so far into custom machining that you would already know and not be asking here.
OK, let me ask this.... How much power will each (4L80E trans and stock transfer case) hold? Can I, lets say, throw 600 flywheel hp at it? Or more? what is the breaking point???(hp level)

I would like to push this pig into the 11's. Im not looking to break records here. This will be a daily driver. But wouldnt it be cool to give a stock vette a run for its money?

Oh, is the engine block the same as my 02 6.0L? Or did they go to a Gen IV block like in the cars?

Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming!

Ron
Old 02-07-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can throw at least 900 fwhp at it without any worries if the 80 was attached. Maybe 700 with the 60? Is that an accurate guestamit?
Old 02-07-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gametech
So if the output shaft is the weak link,(because its 4WD) it wouldnt matter if I upgrade to an 80?

How about if I hade the 60 built (this would also be cheaper) and kept the boost down in the 700hp (flywheel) range? Would this hold up? If not, at what HP range is a built 60 and stock transfer case good for? How much stronger is the SS transfer case??

Ron
Old 02-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Launching!

i say get it done already!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

I'll never understand why someone would want to take a 6000 pound brick and add performance parts

Before you flame, do a sig check
Old 02-07-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Do it!

Bill
Old 02-07-2008, 06:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by TT402LS1
So if the output shaft is the weak link,(because its 4WD) it wouldnt matter if I upgrade to an 80?

How about if I hade the 60 built (this would also be cheaper) and kept the boost down in the 700hp (flywheel) range? Would this hold up? If not, at what HP range is a built 60 and stock transfer case good for? How much stronger is the SS transfer case??

Ron
You'll be throwing $$ out the window building the 60 for that power.It will break.
Haven't raced my truck yet.Not until I build the new shortblock because I will keep turning the boost up at the track on the stock 5.3

Quick Reply: Crazy thoughts in my head (twin turbo Avalanche)