Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is the QMP turbo kit going to be fixed? This sounds bad....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Is the QMP turbo kit going to be fixed? This sounds bad....

I am still going turbo..
Old 07-26-2003, 05:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would be afraid of going Turbo on our F-body.

I thought for sure Incon would be the bomb. Oh, well.

Then, if anyone would have had my confidence doing this for F-bodies, it would have been Rob Raymer. I still think he is trustworthy... just that the kit is still not ready.

Beyond that, it seems to me there is not a truly production kit that produces serious performance gains.

I'd be afraid I could not get parts for the kit down the line.

Even though Vortech and ATI have their issues, at least I feel I can get parts and some support (albeit slow).

And no matter how fast it is, pouring smoke down the line is too embarrassing. I don't want to explain NUTHIN negative!

I guess I'd still go ATI. I'd do some things differently, but still ATI Procharger.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:25 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Is the QMP turbo kit going to be fixed? This sounds bad.

I hear you Black.. I am not purchasing a QMP kit.. I just think if someone could get turbos to work for our cars we would RULE... The hassle is well worth the struggle..
Old 07-27-2003, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, I got bleeped, didnt mean to swear so much, its just my fahkin nature, j/k,

btw, has anybody heard anymore about the rear mounted turbo's for the ls1, at least somebody else is trying something different, if its going to be that much cheaper maybee it'll be worth trying!
Old 07-27-2003, 11:25 AM

HA HA!

I was a sailor... hard for me to rein it in, too, mate.

I'll bring that other thread back to the top for ya, so you can see what was said and if any more responses are forthcoming...
Old 07-27-2003, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey! I'm pretty happy with my Incon kit! I've gotten 475rwhp/491rwtq on a bone-stock motor, true duals !cats, and 91 octane ( 7psi )! And that's also in temps over 80. So I did even better than what Dave predicted for the kit. Of course, LS1-Edit certainly helped me in that regard. I've gotten 531/538 on 8psi and 100 octane. The kit seems pretty solid overall, had it over 2 years and not a single problem. The major problem with Incon was the way Dave handled the company and his customers. But I'm pretty proud of my kit. And oh yea, this is with a very safe tune. If I pushed it I could definitely get more, but I want safe power.

- Dug
Old 07-27-2003, 03:56 PM

ChevyNo1, I'd be proud of Twin Turbos performing as yours does. My comment was not a snub on the Turbo... it was a question-mark about future serviceability and availability of parts.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Sorry I let this go so long without posting. I was just informed of this thread a couple of days ago, but have not had the time to respond until now.

1. We have NEVER said that we sold a T-76 turbo. We have NEVER even offered a T-76 turbo, and especially, we have never offered a T-76 ball bearing turbo! Warbird, if you or anyone else THINKS that is what you ordered from ARE, then you need to talk to them about it. But please don't say WE didn't sell you what you ordered. ARE order a T-74 "TUNER KIT", and that's what they got. Sounds like you had a miscommunication with ARE about it. I have never even spoken to you about about ordering a kit.

2. It's not a bad oil location. Drain or otherwise. You say it needs a scavenge pump, but Mightymouse tried that and told me on the phone this week that it made no difference whatsoever.
The drain we originally designed, was designed for a STOCK engine with STOCK oil pump. If you have a high volume pump, you will have to drain to the front of the pan. Which is what we told Barry at ARE to do when installing your kit. It should have never been installed the other way. I told him that PRIOR to your installation. Why are all of the other cars with our kits installed not having an oil drain issue?? After 1,000's and 1,000's of miles now? Why didn't my car after 18,000 miles??

3. Overheating - If you have an overheating issue, I SERIOUSLY doubt it's because of the intercooler. Since the temp here hovers around 90-100 degrees all Summer, and my car has NEVER overheated with the factory stock 50,000 mile radiator. Neither has anyone else's for that matter with our kit that I have heard of.
Possibly your head gaskets were installed backwards on your engine by Agostino like they did on mine?? That was the only time my engine EVER overheated.

4. If your plug wires burned, it was because they didn't use the MSD wires like I told them to use. They opted for the kit wiithout wires, injectors, tuning, fuel system, etc. I told them that they needed to use MSD wires, because they bend at the proper angle to easily clear the manifold. Why are you the only person with a plug wire burning problem??

5. Your steering shaft - You are the only person who has burned through the steering shaft pin. And this was AFTER ARE had yur steering shaft out of your car. Sounds to me like it was simply overlooked when they re-installed it. Otherwise, how can you explain why YOUR steering shaft pin burned through in 5 minutes of running, but others with our kit have logged over 20-30,000 miles without it happening??? Simple logic here.

6. The T-74 NON-BALL BEARING has been proven to make over 700rwhp on a small 375ci motor. And I did that with a smaller crossover, stock '98 RESTRICTIVE passenger manifold, smaller turbo log, a much less efficient intercooler than our current Spearco unit, and a smaller 2 1/2" downpipe. Your kit is nowhere NEAR maxxed out. You simply have other issues.

We'll start there. I'm sure this is just the beginning.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Warbird - I just read on the other board that you are using a Greddy Profec B boost controler??? Why have you not posted that before?? I could have told you that was a problem. We tried it on Shawn's car over a year ago and had boost issues. We went back to the manual controller (which is what I told ARE to use), and had NO PROBLEMS. Although, with a crossover leak, you were still going to have boost problems, but the Profec B does not work well with the HKS wastegate.

Please post all of the details from now on. It might save you some money.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As usual there is always more to the story!
Old 07-27-2003, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Funny how that is, huh?
Old 07-27-2003, 06:46 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I can't be in this forum all night, please keep it civil and factual and productive and constructive...
Old 07-27-2003, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

I can't be in this forum all night, please keep it civil and factual and productive and constructive...
For the first time since the thread was started, it will be exactly that. At least by me.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rob, please update your web site.

Under turbo options:

"Larger turbo - Up to a T-76 QTrim can be used as a direct bolt-on. Call for pricing"

It doesn't say you can buy a T-76 from you, it says the customer can use up to a T-76, but everybody I know whose read that thinks a T-76 is the larger option you guys offer. You might want to clarify.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2003, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also that's for clearing some things up (for me at least) with your points.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2. It's not a bad oil location. Drain or otherwise. You say it needs a scavenge pump, but Mightymouse tried that and told me on the phone this week that it made no difference whatsoever.
The drain we originally designed, was designed for a STOCK engine with STOCK oil pump. If you have a high volume pump, you will have to drain to the front of the pan. Which is what we told Barry at ARE to do when installing your kit. It should have never been installed the other way. I told him that PRIOR to your installation. Why are all of the other cars with our kits installed not having an oil drain issue?? After 1,000's and 1,000's of miles now? Why didn't my car after 18,000 miles??

3. Overheating - If you have an overheating issue, I SERIOUSLY doubt it's because of the intercooler. Since the temp here hovers around 90-100 degrees all Summer, and my car has NEVER overheated with the factory stock 50,000 mile radiator. Neither has anyone else's for that matter with our kit that I have heard of.
Possibly your head gaskets were installed backwards on your engine by Agostino like they did on mine?? That was the only time my engine EVER overheated.

4. If your plug wires burned, it was because they didn't use the MSD wires like I told them to use. They opted for the kit wiithout wires, injectors, tuning, fuel system, etc. I told them that they needed to use MSD wires, because they bend at the proper angle to easily clear the manifold. Why are you the only person with a plug wire burning problem??

5. Your steering shaft - You are the only person who has burned through the steering shaft pin. And this was AFTER ARE had yur steering shaft out of your car. Sounds to me like it was simply overlooked when they re-installed it. Otherwise, how can you explain why YOUR steering shaft pin burned through in 5 minutes of running, but others with our kit have logged over 20-30,000 miles without it happening??? Simple logic here.

Just to verify Rob, it sounds like the QMP kit does not require the scavenging pump with a high volume pump right? I will have a high volume pump so I will drain it in front of the oil pan. I've been reading about the smoke coming out of the tail pipes under decelaration. Dave (mightymouse) actually got kicked off the track because of this. I just want to make sure my kit WILL NOT do this if I don't use a scavenging pump.

Looks like I won't need a new radiator or special insulation for my MSD plug wires which is a good thing. Less money I have to spend, the better.

Would you suggest jet-hot coating the drivers side manifold and down pipe? Can we replace the plastic pin with a steel dowl or something? I hate to take a chance on anything getting to hot in that area.

Thanks Rob!
Old 07-28-2003, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

02BlueFirehawk - The reason the site says that, is because we also sell the kit in "Tuner Kit" form. Many people have T-76's already or want to use them, since they are so common. The reason we don't offer them, is because we sell Precision turbo's exclusively, and they don't offer a T-76.

rodent - Mightymouse has a bad seal or bearing in his turbo now, which is why his smokes. He knows it, we discussed it by phone earlier this week. PTE has agreed to look at it for him. It's not a drainage issue. It's a problem that developed.

Don't put any type of insulation on the wires. That will only trap the heat between the wire and the sleeve material, and make the wire melt.

The coating that ARE put on Warbirds pipes will not withstand the heat. Mark my words. And the radiator is also unecessary (unless you live in AZ or somewhere like it, then it MIGHT be beneficial). As proven by Shawn's 30,000+ street driven miles on his turbo car, and the 18,000+ miles on mine.

Regarding the pin in the steering shaft...you'd have to ask ARE what happened there. I have no idea. Warbird is the only car that had that problem, and as far as I know, it's the only car that had the steering shaft removed during the install. Again, why did his car burn through the pin in 5 minutes (literally), yet all of the others are still going without issue, after years, and 1,000's of miles???

Quick Reply: Is the QMP turbo kit going to be fixed? This sounds bad....